The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who's your favorate mentalist and why? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
There was a time when I bought everything I could afford be it book, DVD or trick, read Pennies and Inner Thoughts on a daily basis and studied mentalism 2 hours a day. At times I had various favourites, often determined by what I was working on at the time.

At some point - I'd guess about a year ago, I stopped buying, reading, studying, visiting Pennies and Inner Thoughts, and constantly tweaking my show and just went with what really worked.

When I look back now, while I've been influenced by many performers and creators, one is far ahead of the pack - Bob Cassidy.

I appreciate his common sense (make your own props so you understand them and can fix them), I appreciate the simplicity and directness of his methods and I love his sense of humour.

I don't promise this will be the case, but I am quite confident I could perform mentalism for the rest of my life using just what I have learnt from his publications and web seminars.
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
I'm in the same boat as destiny. Although it was brown who got me back into Mentalism. Looch and spellman also inspired me also. Fresh thinking to subtle ideas. For the last year I've been looking at Jerome and Scott grossberg in a non stalking way. Oh and Anthony j for his work and ideas in hypnosis.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Katherine Anne. (Don't worry if you don't know her...)

For showing me that Hypnosis does not use stooges.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Lost in Thought
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Lost in Thought
Annemann, Cassidy and Fogel.

Annemann and Bob Cassidy for some of the best routining out there - check out "Test of the Tiber", "Whim of Tituba", "Fourth Dimensional Telepathy" (Bob's especially) and "Name/Place" - these are masterclasses in how to structure an effect, and to make it play for a large audience. Their published acts are both worthy of serious study as well.

Maurice Fogel for sheer testicular fortitude. Anyone who solves two conflicting commitments by calling in a bomb threat is on a different level than the rest of us.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Maurice Fogel for sheer testicular fortitude. Anyone who solves two conflicting commitments by calling in a bomb threat is on a different level than the rest of us.
[/quote]

I knew Maurice. That "different level" wasn't an asset. It was actually a weakness. Recklessness was quite a speciality of his. Having said that he may well have been the greatest mentalist of all time rivalling even Dunninger. He was certainly the greatest I have ever seen, at any rate.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Steven King the author.

He confirmed for me that what I thought was possible is
and proved it by a personal interactive demonstration.

Also Anthony Hopkins, (Actor) for his help on how to let others see
what you do. Or make others interested in seeing you see what they cannot.

Jim

H.o.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Marc Oberon and Derren Brown. I know that Marc is primarily a magician, but I've always liked his style, charm and the completeness of his performances (plus he created Bang On).

Derren Brown because his shows are brilliant (Hero at 30,000 feet), because he's an extremely competent and smooth performer, uses a variety of tactics (at least he says he does) to accomplish his ends, and because he excudes intelligents, not just wittiness.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
Lost in Thought
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Lost in Thought
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 18:05, Mark Lewis wrote:
I knew Maurice. That "different level" wasn't an asset. It was actually a weakness. Recklessness was quite a speciality of his.

I can well believe that. There's a chap I'm working with at the moment who seems to have a similar disregard for common sense or societal norms... the lows can be pretty low, but some of the places we end up (metaphorically and literally) are pretty amazing.
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Over 20 years ago, after watching Lee Earle perform the Musing Box routine and then needing to wipe a tear from my eye and clear a lump from my throat after his amazing performance, I would have to say that Mr. Earle is at the top of my list!

David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Orson Welles, for his conviction and ability to suspend disbelief.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
From everything I have heard about Maurice Fogel (including the touch of lunacy) he is my type of guy. A legend. Common sense is over-rated.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 14:38, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Orson Welles, for his conviction and ability to suspend disbelief.

Yep I should have had Orson, on my list also.

When he was a young man he created things that would last forever.

Jim

H.o.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Actually, jim's earlier post reminded me of a big influence of mine - one I've had for so long I don't even conciously think about him...

clive barker - the ***ation game, imajica and the great and secret show especially... he was the guy who inspired me to write short stories...
I've asked to be banned
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3432 Posts

Profile of takeachance
As of this morning, Fantastic Fig & Cat
Giacomo Moretti
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Giacomo Moretti
Derren Brown.

G.M.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2084 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2010, looch wrote:
Bob Cassidy
John Riggs
Derren Brown

I couldn't agree more with these three, Looch. Although you should have included yourself! Bob Cassidy, to me, tops the list. I would also add two people: Richard Osterlind, for the simple reason that I don't think there's a better TEACHER of mentalism. I'd also add Peter Turner, as I truly think he has taken mentalism to a different level.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3676 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
My favourites are

Bob Cassidy
Richard Osterlind
Pete Turner
Atlas Brookings
Derren Brown

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Bob Cassidy # 1. Brilliant thinker, superbly skilled, polished performer, prolific author and living legend who helps others.
John Riggs for his devious and ingenious creations.
Banachek for being the most believable, convincing thought reader I've ever seen.
Agree Richard Osterlind may be the best teacher of mentalism of our time. His DVD sets are invaluable.
Derren Brown...amazing...
AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Derren Brown, Bob Cassidy and Michael Weber + Marc Spelmann are tops in my Mental book - and I love watching Docc.

I like learning from guys like Luke Jermay, Peter Turner or Looch but don't relate as well to their performance styles.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
MrThomas
View Profile
Regular user
Magdeburg
120 Posts

Profile of MrThomas
To me it's Derren Brown on one hand because of my limited familiarity whith other (I suppose magnificient) mentalists. On the other hand, first and foremost because I like his approach on adapting old phenomena and presenting them with a nostalgic charm as well as his incredible ability to blend method and effect by showmanship (his "red herrings").

Further, I can highly relate to his thoughts on the appeal of magic (from his book Absolut Magic).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who's your favorate mentalist and why? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL