The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who's your favorate mentalist and why? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
In that case, Uri Geller is more famous world wide.

But I don't like him.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1573 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Max Maven - He oozes Intelligence in his presentations & is an encyclopedia on the art.
Richard Osterlind - Makes everyone feel at ease, lots of charisma.
Banachek - As above
Derren Brown - Takes Mentalism into the future, while holding on to the many principles of the past.
Keith Barry - Because he's Irish!! He is a clever thinker of the art and realised early on that he had to change course to remain successful.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Travis Hawkins
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
12 Posts

Profile of Travis Hawkins
My vote would have to go to Richard Webster - He guided me in becoming the professional I am today. Between he and Bob Cassidy there is absolutely no reason for anyone to “fail” in this art if they really want to make it.
tincture
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of tincture
Bob Cassidy and Max Maven's thinking has always been among my favorites.
As for the young up-incoming - Colin McLeod and Patrick Redford always fascinate my attention.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Richard Webster writes some horrible booklets don't you think?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
As performers, either those I have seen live or on clips, the guys that stood out were Kreskin, Derren Browne, Keith Barry, Paul Bell and the Evasons.
Those whose writings have inspired me include Lee Earle, Larry Becker, Bob Cassidy, George Anderson, Jerome Finley, Paul Bell. They could all be brilliant performers as well; I just haven't seen them on stage.
If you include hypnotists, the best I have ever seen is Barry Sinclaire.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Yes. I would agree about Barry Sinclair as far as hypnotists go. He was one of the three best stage hypnotists I have ever seen. Two of them are now dead and only Barry is above ground at the moment. I suppose that makes him the greatest living hypnotist as far as I am concerned. Mind you, I haven't seen him work for decades. He might not be any good any more for all I know.

As for mentalists I have no idea. Paul Pacific would have been the best if he had tried a bit harder.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3832 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Darren Brown blows me away. Max Maven makes me smile. I have learned the most from Osterlind and Cassidy.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Travis Hawkins
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
12 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-29 18:53, bobser wrote:
Richard Webster writes some horrible booklets don't you think?

Richard Webster's work is phenomenal. It is thanks to him that I am able to "make it" in this industry.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I think Bobser was being sarcastic. Richard Webster has sold ten million books so I assume somebody must like him.
Travis Hawkins
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
12 Posts

Mark, I believe you are right about Bobser's comment. Sometimes sarcasm gets lost on me when through the medium of writing. I owe pretty much my entire career to Richard. As far as the business side of things go anyway.
Erik L.
View Profile
New user
Omaha, NE
53 Posts

Profile of Erik L.
I'd have to say Richard Osterlind is my favorite. His videos are one of the reasons that I got into mentalism in the first place.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3360 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I mentioned Osterlind, Spelmann and Archer in an earlier post, for me all three are more entertaining than Brown of late. I think he needs new advisors. His reputation has carried him of late. The one I didn't mention was Cassidy. Watching him perform in a rough workers environment that would make most cringe, is just pure magic. I mean how many perform in biker bars and have them totally in control. Brilliant!
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2075 Posts

Profile of gabelson
I respectfully disagree, takeachance. Look at the final effect in Derren's "Enigma" (You can see it as Parts 7 and 8 of Enigma on YouTube.) I don't know that there isn't a better showman, period, in the world today than Derren Brown. I'll be bold here and say, in ANY of the performing arts.

Who is more dynamic or riveting on stage? (Ok, maybe Springsteen). Whose performances look as effortless yet play as powerful... for THOUSANDS, as Derren's? What other performing mentalist doesn't have one "down" second in his show, especially with all the crowd work, wrangling of spectators, and positioning that Derren does. Yet, literally never a dull moment when he's live on stage.

All that being said? I have learned the most about the craft of mentalism, personally, from Bob Cassidy and Richard Osterlind.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Corinda and Anneman because they were my first reads and introduction to the field.

FBI Special Agents Robert Ressler and John Douglas for their work in profiling.
FBI Special Agent Anne Harris and Gerry Nobles for their work on Kinesic interviewing and interrogation.

Paul Ekman for his work in body language, especially micro expressions.

For actual mentalists, Drew McAdam because he has been the most help by answering the odd and sometimes stupid questions with care and enthusiam.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
Jim Callahan

No question.

His DVD "Tea with Alice and J ack" along with his performance on phenomenon, changed the way I viewed mystery performing. The guy has also given us "The Jinx Broadcast" that was filled with amazing thoughts and ideas, and it was free of charge. I have also been able to talk with him on the phone on a couple occasions. He gave me some great advice on my presentations and we talked for about an hour about various things. The guy is VERY generous with his time and knowledge.

I am off to watch Tea with Alice and J ack AGAIN!

Aaron
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1573 Posts

It is true what Gabelson writes, but the difference with Derren Brown and some others is, he makes his show more of a theatrical experience. I seen Engima earlier this year & it was exactly that. Thankfully for me, I knew how he was going to work one of his effects (Q & A) & I got to be part of the act during the show. Brown has brought the art to the masses, but as I stated earlier, he is doing it while holding true to the principles of Mentalism.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1573 Posts

I need to correct my last post. Not advisable to be writing post's with one eye on the clock & running late for work! Anyway, I didn't see Enigma earlier this year, it was of course Svengali & it was equally good.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18806 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Berglas - charm, presence, boldness, and 'that' voice and always looking smart and a fine selection of facial hair throughout the years

Canasta - charm, presence, boldness, the chances he took live on tv

Annemann - for his writing style, how he was so forthright in his opinions, his sheer inventiveness and love of mentalism, but also because of his nerves...just a massive shame about the booze and so on...

Riggs - charm, presence, boldness, inventiveness, the fact that he looks like he could crush your head in his hands, but is a very kind and gentle man, as well as a fop of the highest order...

Brown - charm, inventiveness, affable, and for the double-edged sword of making mentalism kinda mainstream again in the uk...there's things I disagree with that he's done, but I think he does genuinely care about those subjects and is well meaning...just, well - I could write for tooooo long about that...so I won't.

there's lots that I love, if I could some them up with one word, here's what I'd say:
maven/burger - voice (i consider the voice a very important part of mentalism)
cassidy - vigor (by vigor I mean a mixture of presence, command of the crowd and energy)
looch - everyman (by that I mean, when you meet him, he's so down to earth and straightforward and kinda calming in a way, then he does what he does and it messes with you even moreso because of his character)

I'll stop there with the mentalism/bromance talk...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
krakhead
View Profile
Regular user
I have built a fence, it has
126 Posts

Profile of krakhead
Derren Brown
Colin Mcleod
Bob Cassidy
Looch
Marc Spelmann

But top spot has to go to (drum roll, bated breath....) Max Maven, the man who got me interested in all this mind-messery by terrifying me when I saw him on TV when I was about 11 or 12 years old. I honestly thought he must have been from another planet!
He is a liar. The demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse us. But he will also mix lies with the truth to attack us. The attack is psychological and powerful. So don't listen to him. Remember that - do not listen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who's your favorate mentalist and why? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL