We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How well does the RNT2 Black Oxide finish holds up on cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Philtrum
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Philtrum
It looks nice, does it scratch? Is maintenance easy?

While we're at it, how about the Antique Bronze finish as well?

Thank you so much. There are so many beautiful cups available now and my magic interest/cups obsession is re-emerging after several years in remission.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Both of those finishes are generally covered with clear coat. The clear coating on these is, to the best of my knowledge, a heavy acrylic finish, which is quite durable.

I prefer an unplated cup, usually copper.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
I have had some Darkness Falls (black chrome) Cups from the Jake Era now for over a year, they hold up well and cleanup with a little Windex. Donnie has told me that his current offering of black chrome Cups use a different process and are more durable then Cups past.

Good luck with whatever Cups you end up getting!

Bruce
Philtrum
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Philtrum
Thank you both, I appreciate it.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The new cups are great and with the new process he uses it will hold up to regular use.
Nothing to scratch off.
I would say that anything with a clear coat on it will chip and scratch with regular use both in practice and performance.
I have two sets and one was more durable than the other with the about the same amount of use.
Mobius
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I wish that it were possible to do the Magipoxy finish again.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
374 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Quote:
On 2010-12-27 17:51, Bill Palmer wrote:

I miss the Magipoxy finish as well. Is the story true that Mike Brazill applied this finish using his kitchen oven? It sounds implausible, but pretty amazing as well.
Magic is where you find it.....
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Yes that is true Dale.
The magipoxy was so strong a bond with the cups that Several friends still have their original RNT cups and they look like when they first got them some 30yrs ago. That is with regular use over that time.
That finish did not chip or scrape off at all. I miss it too.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-12-27 19:26, Dale Houck wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-27 17:51, Bill Palmer wrote:

I miss the Magipoxy finish as well. Is the story true that Mike Brazill applied this finish using his kitchen oven? It sounds implausible, but pretty amazing as well.

He may have, in very early years, but he told me that he had purchased a machine from a company that made the lids for spray cans, as well as other things. The parts were suspended on a slow-moving conveyor that passed through the curing oven. The epoxy was applied with a spray gun. The gun had a negative charge, and the conveyor had a positive charge. The sprayed particles were attracted to the charged surface.

Evidently, either the EPA or OSHA doesn't like this finish. But they are using a finish that is similar in some ways to finish musical instruments. It's a UV cured polyurethane HVLP finish. I don't see what any of the problems are as long as you are using a proper spray booth.

Posted: Dec 28, 2010 12:10am
Here's a question to someone who works with these finishes.

What is the difference between "black chrome" and "parkerization"?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How well does the RNT2 Black Oxide finish holds up on cups? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL