The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Name and origins of this trick? spectator names the only card in the deck with an X written on it. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
Hi Guys,

I've been using this trick in my professional work for a few years now and has never ceased to get as good reaction. It has fooled many magicians.
as I said in the title, you ask a spec to name a card, take the card out of the deck and it is found to be the only card with a big fat X written across it. It's much like invisible deck.

I learnt it out of a Nick Einhorn book but he doesn't know where it comes from originally.
It's a cracking trick and have hardly seen anyone else do it.

Anyone know where this is from?

cheers
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
There are a number of effects in this genre. Typically, instead of an 'X' on the back of the card it is an odd-backed card, but those are just presentational differences.

The two effects that jump to mind are Michael Vincent's Brainwave My Way and Michael Close's Red Blue Mama Fooler, though the Vincent effect is newer than the Einhorn books.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
My version, called "Think A Card" from The Wizards' Journal #20 on my site, uses the premise that you intend to influence a spectator to take a particular card and that she (it works nicely with a woman spectator) should do her best to avoid being influenced by you. Then you shuffle a blue backed deck of cards until the spectator tells you to stop, spread out the cards face up on the table and allow her to slide out any card she freely chooses, and if at any time she thinks you are trying to influence her choice, she can push it back and slide out another. She finally settles on a card she is convinced she has freely chosen and you tell her the trick is over, you forced her to pick that particular card. She wants some proof. You have her spread out the deck of blue back cards and note that every card has a blue back. So what? So the card she chose is now turned over and it not only has a red back, but it also plainly states "I made you pick the two of hearts" or whatever the card is; different every time. I think there are a lot of these types of tricks available. I like my version, but everyone has a favorite version. However, I don't know where to find your version, but I do know where you can find mine.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
267 Posts

Profile of tstark
I know that Larry Becker has a version explained in his lecture notes c1980s.
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
Thanks for all the input guys.

It's not really a brainwave trick as the card doesn't have different colour back.
One n ice thing about is the X is clearly drawn on the card and not printed so when you say "before I came out I drew an X on one card" it's obvious that you did do that cuz it's clearly done with a marker pen and not a printer.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Jay Sankey created an effect with this same idea using an invisible deck.

Half the time, the card selected would be the only "X" card. Otherwise, it would be the only card "not ruled out" - if you understand what I'm saying. Hope that helps.
huangja
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of huangja
Perhaps you're referring to X-Credible?

http://www.tannens.com/shop//cart.php?m=......l&p=6359

I used this often back in the 80's and it always received good reaction. I stopped using it only because of pocket management issue.
ILikeMentalism
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ILikeMentalism
A routine like this you will also find at Jon Tremaine's "Close-Up Mental Programm" DVD or Video. The routine is called "The Invisible Pack & Pen".
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2010-12-31 05:58, Elliott Hodges wrote:
It's not really a brainwave trick as the card doesn't have different colour back.
One nice thing about is the X is clearly drawn on the card and not printed so when you say "before I came out I drew an X on one card" it's obvious that you did do that cuz it's clearly done with a marker pen and not a printer.

Just to clarify: My "Think A Card" is not a Brainwave trick either, because it doesn't use rough-smooth in the primary version, and you don't have to have contrasting backs involved at all if you don't want to. Since you make it yourself, the printing is done by hand using a marker pen.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Name and origins of this trick? spectator names the only card in the deck with an X written on it. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL