The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Neilson's vanishing coke bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I have been performing the basic vanishing coke bottle for years now. Today, I have just found myself a perfect replica of the bottle from an Italian restaurant in my town. I bought it straight away, drank the coke and came up with the idea of doing a switch. This will add authenticity to the routine.

I have sanded off the ingredients writing on the back, and now it matches my vanishing bottle. But there is just ONE problem.

My Neilson's bottle is much greener in colour than my real glass bottle. The real one is perfectly clear. What is the best way for me to modify the real glass bottle to match the Neilson's "greenish" bottle?

Thanks.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
davidj40
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of davidj40
I know what you are referring to because I have had interest in coke bottles and various effects. One idea is to thin down some green/blue paint to a wash type solution and put in the bottle, shake it up, turn it upside down and let the paint drain out. You should immediately be able to tell if the look is what you need. You might need to experiment with the color and strength of wash solution to get the right effect. I would not recommend putting anything on the outside of the bottle as that will not give you the look you are desiring.

By the way, if you try the above and don't like the results, I would immediately wash the paint out and start again. You don't want the layers of paint to build if they don't help your look because you are trying to achieve a translucent effect, which may take a few layers, but you don't want to start off with the wrong color.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Here's the issue..

the green tint is a part of the vinyl.. it used to be a part of the old Coke glass as in THE GLASS ITSELF WAS green...ish.

you can't really fake that by painting the bottle.. it would need to be a part of the glass.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
I would think it possible to dye the inside of the real bottle, perhaps etching it with a mild acid first. If it's at all possible any competent stained-glass supply shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
You can purchase glass tints which are used to fake a stained glass product.
They are basically a dye in a clear binding solution.
You could make some yourself by getting an anodyne dye,or an ngr(non ground)stain,and mixing it with a
clear lacquer,which acts as the binding agent.The end product will be a low opacity(more or less see through)tinted solution,
This you could then spray onto the bottle,giving the effect of a tinted glass bottle.
The finish wouldn't last too long,but it's cheap enough,so just stripping off the coating and re-spraying every now and again,should give you a very workable solution to your problem.
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks for your replies, I'll ask the paint shops about these solutions. It's much appreciated!
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Instead of paints or acids, why not try basic green food coloring first? It will be MUCH cheaper to experiment with, and it will literally wash out if you get it wrong, whereas the other types will require thinners and long brushes, and lots of clean-out time.

I bet just a couple of drops of this mixed with water will do the trick. Just swish it around and turn it upside-down and let it drip dry for 30 minutes. If more is needed, just add to what you already have. If you made it too strong, then wash it out with hot water and try again with less color.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
The bottles are made of vinyl.. Vinyl as part of its very nature is virtually impossible to paint or dye.

it has oil in it.. making it VERY hard to get ANYTHING to stick to it for long.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks chance & makeupguy. The bottle I want to paint is not the vinyl one, but the glass one. Glass resists paint.

My vinyl one is green which is to be matched.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2010-12-29 17:30, scottds80 wrote:
Thanks chance & makeupguy. The bottle I want to paint is not the vinyl one, but the glass one. Glass resists paint.

My vinyl one is green which is to be matched.

Actually, there is paint specifically formulated for glass - it actually contains glass micro-particles - that you apply and then heat in an oven to"fuse" it to the surface.

However, as I suggested above, you can also buy glass etching compound and etch the inside of the bottle prior to dying/painting.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I found several of the old, green Coke bottles at an antique-type store. I bought them all. I have since broken a couple, but I still have several left. I haven't seen any for sale in years though.
Mister Mystery
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Has anyone looked on E-Bay (old coke bottle)???
themechanic03
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of themechanic03
I also spent some time trying to find a matching color real coke bottle. It is possible to find the right size and shape, but I have yet to find one with the same green tint. When I get around to it, I was planning on sand blasting the outer glass with a fine media on one of my bottles, and seeing how well it takes to an applied color.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Neilson's vanishing coke bottle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL