The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Wonderful Curtis Kam on YouTube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
841 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
The story trick: what a great idea, to do diamond bar with coins instead of cards!

Also loved in his current favorite trick the routining of and variation on the three effects ending with a cap and pence with a bottle cap! Terrific thinking.

What I most admire though about Curtis is he seems so friendly and laid back, that even the most nervous spectator is put immediately at her ease. Now *that's magic.*
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Do you have a link?

Sean
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
While we wait for the link here is something from Curtis that I enjoyed. Some great spectator involvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaWRIWMk8nA&NR=1
Wes
Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
Thanks Wes. That was a great clip to watch. Such good interaction, and as you said, great spectator involvement!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Curtis,
for the first part of the routine where the coins vanish from the spectator's hand, did you consider the possibility to make them reappear each time under the bottle cap (rather than just in your expert hands) using the Gallo Pitch? This would be a nice way to set the spectator ready for the second part with the st**k
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2942 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Dern. And I could have been to the Franklin Park lecture but I didn't know about it. I need to pay attention to stuff like that. You know what I like about Mr. Kam's magic? It looks like magic.
I j
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
@foolsnobody, thanks for the "wonderful", that's the closest that word's been to my name in a while, and I hope it catches on.

For anyone seeking more wonderfulness, my buddy Tom Dobrowolski is the newly appointed media mogul for KamWorld Entertainment, and is single-handedly making me an internet sensation by posting bits from one Saturday in Midwest Magic on YouTube. (Just imagine the damage he could do if he used both hands.) Drop by "you Ought to Be in Pictures" for the rest of the clips.

The story trick referenced is the world's easiest handling of "Hanging Coins", where the work is all mental, rather than physical. The presentation was a brilliant suggestion by Mike Close, who was the first to observe that that joke matches the action of David Roth's "Hanging Coins" exactly.

The routine Lawrence O mentions is my handling of Terry Lynn's "Seven Pennies". The original is an absolutely magical routine, much more so than Coins Across, and not a bit harder to do. If more magicians started out by learning this trick, rather than coins across, the world would be a much better place. You can find it in Buckley's "Principles and Deceptions" and reprinted in Bobo's Modern Coin Magic.

I like the idea of involving the bottle cap earlier, but perhaps I'll use it with a different effect. I'm still playing with the way the coins appear in the Lynn trick, but I think it should be about the spectator, and her hands. That's why I have her mime the last transfer. I wonder, though, if perhaps it would be better to present these appearances as penetrations? Perhaps the trick should focus solely on the coins coming through the spectator's hands? That would make the ending penetration more consistent, but perhaps, too predictable. I've found that in performance, the straight line from point A to point B is dull, and wandering about aimlessly is also. Curved lines are interesting.

I'd be happy to hear any and all suggestions here. Who knows, we might discover something?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Dear Mr. Wonderful: Where are these links to more of your routines from Saturday? Do we search Youtube under "KamWorld Entertainment", or simply "wonderful"?

Thanks, dude. A very strong routine (with the cap and coins)

Doug "Mildly Magnificent" Brewer
tegib
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of tegib
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4r-U7pZW......&list=UL

Here is a video where you can see Curtis Kam performing his laser coins routine.It starts at 6 minutes
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1417 Posts

Profile of feher
That was one of the best routines I've seen this year. I do the 7 penny routine all the time and it gets great reactions. But, Curtis's rendition just puts mine to shame. Curtis brings that routine into a whole new level. Just wonderful !
Thanks for sharing.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
841 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I got there from a link on the Café but don't ask me to remember where it was!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Here's a few Curtis Kam videos that I found. I have the first 4 Palms of steel DVDs and they are packed full of great routines. The following are new routines I believe.

Curtis Kam performing at Midwest Magic in Franklin Park, Illinois December 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaWRIWMk8nA

Talk Story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dU01IEra6I

Dance of the Thumbs (3 Fly with a great backfire!)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoMagic......B2Oxy-Mk

Palms of Steel 5 trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzAPOQade......&index=6

kind regards
Sean
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
735 Posts

Profile of dduane
Hi Curtis,

My suggestion for your cap & coins routine: Don't change a thing. It's perfect and wonderful!

Thanks for your recommendations, too.

Dennis D.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1051 Posts

Profile of John Carey
I have already told this to Curtis in conversation, the way he finishes the 7 coin routine to get into copper silver is BRILLIANT in my opinion.

John
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Great work Curtis.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
" SIMLPY STUNNING CURTIS, like all your COIN work !!!! The Thinking behind your COIN work is toally outstanding!!!!!!!! "I JUST LOVE WATCHING YOU PERFORM AS WELL"

MICKEY SILVER
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2740 Posts

Profile of John Long
I have notice Lynn's 7 penny trick for some time, but after seeing Curtis' rendition, spectator involvement and in their hands, I am going to add Lynn's seven penny routine to my Hospital walk-around.

Thanks for sharing this.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Nicholas young
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
114 Posts

Profile of Nicholas young
All I could think of was "I don't want this to be over!", no really great job, I love the atmosphere, you seem like a humble guy with a talent for coins. Thanks for sharing!
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Sweet and smooth routine.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17069 Posts

Profile of joseph
Very nice, as usual .. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Wonderful Curtis Kam on YouTube (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL