The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Illegal Downloads? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
What does the watermark have to do with anything? Most screeners have either a watermark on them, or the name of the person the disc was intended for. And then there is every movie out in the theatre, on the net for free-no watermarks. I don't see the studio doing that, and if they did why leave the mark?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I should note I am not attacking Ken. I believe the way information is sold has to change - wikileaks and file sharing - it's all here to stay. Any song I want to hear I can go to YouTube and listen to legally (I assume) so the difference between stealing it to your drive or just having it there legally and temporarily is flimsy.

Ken is causing me to break a commandment though. I will covet his having The Magician set.

My argument is with the Grand High Equivicator. Carrie is in absolutely no doubt of the strict rules the rest of us must follow to enter her heaven and seems to believe it should be compulsory for us to go to her heaven. She agitates for the rules of her religion to be imposed on the rest of us in our daily life.

But her religion is strangely convenient to her.

The bits of Leviticus that affect other people are to be strictly enforced, but bits that might inconvenience her are swatted to the side. Social Security is a great evil - yet she quietly benefits from it for over a decade. Stealing is a terrible terrible sin - unless it's something Carrie steals, when it becomes, not 'exactly' stealing, just as some killing is not 'exactly' killing.

Those who worship their 'Creator' so often recreate him in their own image. He's been made over more often than Madonna (that being the better known, more recent Madonna).
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Nothing in the Bible says Social Security is evil.

It's not evil. It's just fostering a dependency class of which I am now a part, and I think that's wrong for the government to do, that's all.

And I love how all the relativists want to be absolute with me when it comes to this topic. I have tried to delineate what I see as unethical downloading, and I will admit that my view may not be the morally accurate one.

But who are you to judge? The Bible does not say, "Thou shalt not download any music for free off the Internet."

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Some people here are not a wonderful example of Christians, in that "christian" in fact means Christ-like. Some people in this very thread really close to my post...

Jesus, the biblical figure not the dude you hear about by the more outspoken -or louder- religious folk (for whatever reason) was pretty cool. In fact as far as the parts of the bible I read, the whole thing, was more interested in helping people than killing them.
In fact he stated that the law was: Love.
But Leviticus does make for better reading, when one wants to frighten people into faith Jesus is a terrible weapon.

So don't use that single, wait, I mean those outspoken and usually incorrect (using the definition of "Christian" as a reference here) example(s) of Christians.

Don't get me wrong I have no faith in God, well I have a faith that does not engender hope, however I have known many, many Christians -regardless of religion- that have made me examine my own faith (though not enough to change it).

OK, so now to the topic: This was, as Al said, the worst place to bring your question... hell, it has turned into a discussion of religion... doesn't everything here (Unless it ends in politics... OR BOTH!!! Save me Cthulhu)?

You want to know what I would do? Keep it, watch it, don't tell anyone here that you did. This is the Internet after all, if half the people who proclaim you a sinner aren't doing the exact same thing right now I'll eat my hat -I'm not wearing a hat, but it's the thought that counts.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2010-12-30 21:55, Carrie Sue wrote:
But who are you to judge? The Bible does not say, "Thou shalt not download any music for free off the Internet."

Carrie

I believe #8 and #10 cover it: If it ain't yours, DON'T BE STEALING IT!

And before you come back with some twisted redefined bunch of crap, did you ever read the notices on those movies and programs you've been stealing? They CLEARLY tell you NOT TO STEAL IT!

Why is that so hard to understand!?

That was rhetorical. Don't bother answering. From here on out I'm following your own rules about dealing with you: "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit." (Proverbs 26:4-5)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm getting deja vu. Does that mean there's a glitch in the Matrix?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2010-12-31 00:47, critter wrote:
I'm getting deja vu. Does that mean there's a glitch in the Matrix?

No, it means you are in the internet. There is no new topic, only long and repeated corpulence. Notice my word usage and shiver in fear at my vivacious ill usage of wordses.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2010-12-30 22:48, Beano wrote:
Quote:

Carrie

And before you come back with some twisted redefined bunch of crap, did you ever read the notices on those movies and programs you've been stealing? They CLEARLY tell you NOT TO STEAL IT!

That was rhetorical. Don't bother answering. From here on out I'm following your own rules about dealing with you: "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit." (Proverbs 26:4-5)

I agree with Beano completely. It is statements like the one Carrie made that alienates people from Christianity. I am religious and if you want to believe that what is written in the Bible was inspired by God for people 2000 or more years ago and it is still relevant today, then you can not be making statements like that.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
"I will admit that my view may not be the morally accurate one."

Ok - whoever has hacked Carrie's account and is posting in her name, we're on to you.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
Nothing in the Bible says Social Security is evil.

It's not evil. It's just fostering a dependency class of which I am now a part, and I think that's wrong for the government to do, that's all.
STOP TAKING THE CHECKS THEN YOU HYPOCRITE
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-12-30 17:21, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-30 13:29, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-30 12:39, RS1963 wrote:
Irossall If your making copies of things that you already own be it just to have a back up copy or to have certain music to listen to on different devices when not at home is fine. There is nothing immoral or illegal about that. Nor is it wrong to loan a book or DVD etc to others. If they make copies or if you have implied that they can make copies. That's another story all together of course.

So, it's ok to make copies, and it's ok to loan, but never the twain shale meet?

Your trying to make something out of this that it is not. Do you not use a Library due to the fact that you don't own what they loan people to read or listen too? What about Netflix? Are they immoral and illegal? Yes it would be better to not loan books or whatever to friends I am very cautious when I do so. If it's a book I have to be sure they aren't ones to copy the book in full or part. Before I even consider loaning it to them. On a related note. A well known card man gave me 4 of his DVD's last year and when a friend asked if I would copy them for him I ignored his request and rarely have anything to do with him anymore. I won't ever loan him anything that is for sure.

I was not saying, or implying, that loaning was right, or wrong. I was saying that, it would seem, the implication is that loaning is fine, and copying is fine, when done separately, but if you copy, AND loan, it suddenly becomes wrong.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Quote:
On 2010-12-30 22:48, Beano wrote:
Quote:

Carrie

So I'm a fool now, huh? Well, isn't that nice. You know, I recorded a lot of music off the radio when I was a kid. Was that legal? I think it was. I recorded a lot of shows off TV, too. Was that legal? I think it was. If someone offered me a few dollars to send him a DVD copy of my Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man movies, what's wrong with that? I'm not saying it's totally right, but it's not an absolute moral evil like many of the others I rail against.

It's quite different than, say, recording a new movie off the theater screen with a home video camera and reproducing hundreds of copies to sell at a profit. That's what used to happen before this digital technology, and that's what the movie studios rightfully prosecute.

And to those of you who pounce on this like nothing I say is to be believed now, I never said I was a perfect Christian. I do keep working at it, but it's fascinating that the people who want to redefine the A-level sins as not sins (from a human perspective) turn right around and call me on C-level sins as if they could suddenly see from God's perspective.

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Carrie,

Far be it for any of us to presume what any god considers "A-level" or "C-level" sins. This seems especially true when working in a theology that has only one god, the same who creates millions to starve every year as the one who makes roses and sunrises.

One pays a tax on blank media for those RIAA rights to what is to be recorded in advance - not exactly fair to be taxed in advance but it seems to work out. The question comes when one sells such a recording. Anyway as best I understand the matter, recording songs off the radio for your own enjoyment was not a problem then or even now.

I believe what some are responding to here is not so much your position on the matter from a legal perspective (delayed viewing - sharing among fans/collectors of broadcast material) but the position that convenience justifies violation of another persons copyright protections, as such does not seem consistent with your other stated positions.

Do you know how hard it is to toss a stone (or ball) up and catch it behind you? That's about it for casting stones today. Smile

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I do not assume to judge anyone as a Christian - I thought the religion held that only your God could judge you... or me.

I judge people as people, by their words and their deeds, and the correlation between the two.

I sincerely assumed Carrie would have held herself to a higher standard.

And I never ever (in fact let me add another 'ever') was informed that sins were graded on an alphabetical scale.

So 'Thou shalt not commit adultery' is an absolute, while 'Thou shalt not steal' is just sort of a guideline?

I said it before but I've never shied from flogging a deceased equine - I'm sure the story says the Creator made man in his own image but I'm noticing more and more people who make the Creator in their own image.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
OK, Destiny,

Adultery is something that everyone knows what it is. Stealing isn't quite so easily defined. Hence all the laws covering things like intellectual property, etc.

And that's all I'll say on that one.

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Legally, if it's not in the Public Domain, selling copies without licensed permission is piracy.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
What about giving it away?

Carrie

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-12-31 11:56, Carrie Sue wrote:
OK, Destiny,

Adultery is something that everyone knows what it is. Stealing isn't quite so easily defined. Hence all the laws covering things like intellectual property, etc.

And that's all I'll say on that one.

Carrie

Really? Because I imagine you would have a much different view of what "adultery" is, compared to me, or many others here.

As for stealing, that is actually MUCH more precise in it's definition. Taking that which is not yours, without the permission of (s)he who's it is.

The laws on IP simply try to (re)define what is and is not "yours."

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
It's not yours to give away.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-12-31 12:05, Carrie Sue wrote:
What about giving it away?

Carrie

Would depend how you got it, from an ethical perspective. From a legal one, depends on whether or not you made a copy before you gave it away.

Remember, making a copy, on its own, not "wrong." Giving something away, also not "wrong."
Do them together, oh my, you horrible horrible creature.

Kind of like sex and money. You can have sex for free, and you can give someone money, but do them in close proximity, and you are scum.

You know that, at least in many states, you can have sex for free, but bring in money and it's wrong. Conversely, if you beat someone up, say even consensually, it's illegal, but if they PAY you, then it's all good.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Illegal Downloads? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL