The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Happy New Chronologue! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2010-12-31 19:07, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes you can. The thing is that I have them think of a day that is important to them. Asking the spectator if she wants to go forward or back a day wouldn't make much sense and, I think, somewhat lessens the directness of the effect.

Happy New Year

Bob

Great minds think alike.

Happy New Year Bob.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2010-12-31 18:47, charliemagic wrote:
Many years ago a fellow magician shared his presentation using one diary that is on the table before the presentation.I forgot his name & if he is a Café memeber please jump in or pm me so I can thank you again. PM me if anyone has questions.

Charlie

Dr Todd, who set up the British Society of Mystery Entertainers, uses one diary in the manner you state. It works well for him, but I'm going with the creator - it surely HAS to be a significant date to the spectator. (I just can't see the point of asking them for such and then moving by one on those 50% of occasions.) At least my wallet is out there from the outset (with card in it shown behind drivers licence) - Not too fussed about the diary being shown from the off. When they see it, full of other junk-like appointments and personal notes, no-one even considers that there might be two!
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On 2010-12-31 11:35, mastermindreader wrote:
Ha ha! I am still using a 2008 diary. It doesn't matter. The premise of the effect is that,, to do an experiment in synchronicity, I bought seven decks of cards, shuffled them, and wrote the order of the giant pack down in a pocket diary. On the few occasions that someone has asked me about the 2008, I simply reply that that's when I did the experiment.

The next one I do, though, will be generic.

But Happy Chronologue to all of you and thanks!!

Best-

Bob

Yup! They never ask!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It seems that some mentalists think that you need to have the diary in view from the outset to "prove" you are only using one diary. That is really "magician's thinking." Most people assume you would need dozens of diaries if you were going to cover all of the possible combinations - it's something that they mentally rule out if they ever think about it in the first place. (which, I have found, they don't)

Good thoughts,

Bob
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of topchange52
A presentation I've used in the past is to give someone a pack of cards before any date is chosen, afer selecting the date and the card that falls on that date they remove the cards from the case and count them face up looking for "their"card. They count 51 without finding their selection. You then remove it from your wallet/pocket or wherever you want as the "missing" card. Simple for those that use Chronologue. The appropriate 4 cards are removed from the deck and 3 duplicates of non descript "other" cards are added. You therefore have a pack totalling 51 with none of possible selections present!
Feel free to use it if you wish.

Regards.....................
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Interesting idea, but IMHO adding a pack of cards to the presentation reduces the whole thing to "just another card trick" and subtantially weakens it impact as a demonstration of pure synchronicity.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Bob, I'd hardly use the phrase, "humble opinion." You are the brains behind the thing for goodness sake. You have every right to have any opinion and no need to be humble about it. Smile It's one of those effects that simply doesn't need messing with.
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Seems to be a lot of running when not being chased...With Bob's original presentation the wallet can be/is left in full view (I understand now you use the jumbo cards) before a date is selected. Its not illogical or uncomfortable to pull out the calendar after a date is chosen. Its quite obvious to the audience that you don't have 365 calendars on you (Is that how many you would need?)
Why would you want to take away the personalized and emotional experience to the audience that a significant date VS a random date would bring about.
I am fully content with the presentation as is, and I have said in other related threads, of course entirely IMHO, that Chronologue is perfect the way it is and always elicits strong reactions and gasps when I perform it.

David
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
Just want to say thanks again Bob

Robert
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Robert-

You're welcome!

Bob
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
I'd just like to recommend to any concerned and interested people, that the Chronolouge routine and explination that is both on the DVD/Book really should be carved in stone, and left alone.

I have to confess to almost wanting to cringe whenever I hear of someone trying to "improve" on the original. Although to be honest, that didn't happen after I read of a modifiation that Bob did to the routine. Since we're out in the open here, I'm not gonna tell you.

It's a clean effect, I still use the 2004 diary that I set up when I was getting started. I've had no comments about it; after all I'm not showing the cover to the audience, but am flicking the pages to show that there are card names written on each page.

It's a great stand alone, or a lead in to another effect. I use it as an introduction to a short 'basic' Si Stubbins routine that I use.

Why try to make the wheel rounder than it already is?
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Does a diary with just dates and no year exist?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-23 22:55, equivoque wrote:
Does a diary with just dates and no year exist?

Yes, you can get blank "Any Year" diaries.

Bob
Christopher Caldwell
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale, Arizona
87 Posts

Profile of Christopher Caldwell
FYI, here's a really classy "birthday" book that would work. (I've used this one for the Elmsley diary effect for years, and certainly it can be used for the terrific Chronologue, too. )

http://www.aspinaloflondon.com/eshop-cat......ack-calf

Hope it helps.
Christopher
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 00:44, Christopher Caldwell wrote:
FYI, here's a really classy "birthday" book that would work. (I've used this one for the Elmsley diary effect for years, and certainly it can be used for the terrific Chronologue, too. )

http://www.aspinaloflondon.com/eshop-cat......ack-calf

Hope it helps.
Christopher

They are indeed top notch Christopher. I had a 'look' at those some time ago but only the price put me off (£70 incl shipping for what was necessary) when I had been using 49p diaries. (AND - its an expensive option if you make a mistake!) I might go back and have another look now - because they are SIX dates to a page, and whilst its not TOO important, that does tend to disguise the pattern a lot more than the usual seven days to a page. (or worse, FOUR!)
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
The only time I did mine was because I needed to translate it to my language
and that was it..
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
What about using these?
http://www.amazon.com/Fortune-Telling-Bi......2&sr=8-7
four dates per 2 page spread. Any mathematical reason not to use these?
pourang65
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
192 Posts

Profile of pourang65
I've been using Moleskin week diary's. I don't worry much about the year. the way you present the experience, the audience will focus on the day and the month. I've been using this for my opener for years. Actually I have 2 sets of diary with different four cards, when I use it for people that have already seen the effect.
I don't know what Bob will think of a little add : Moleskin diary has a little pocket at the end, I put one of the f...e cards in this pocket, I have one chance out of four to have a double miracle.

anyways, thanks Bob for this wonderful effect !

Pourang (regards from Paris!)
Cheers
Pourang
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2011-01-25 08:40, pourang65 wrote:
Moleskin diary has a little pocket at the end, I put one of the f...e cards in this pocket, I have one chance out of four to have a double miracle.

anyways, thanks Bob for this wonderful effect !

Pourang (regards from Paris!)

I do something similar for that Double Whammy experience. Peter Scarlett's Pimpernel Notecase (actually a very real looking hip bill-fold wallet) allows for this. I show the 'one card' up front behind my ID card in the window. They can see that there's only one (F) card there. (The other three are behind the similar window (PN users will know what I mean) So, 25% of the time, the specator can remove their Ace of Clubs in this instance. If its one of the others, no bother, I remove it. To them, its the same card coming from the same window.

There seems to be a theme developing here, and in other threads, that most, (it seems to me anyway) are using this as an opener. I must say, I usually do. It's also one of two things I keep in my wallet (PN IS my wallet) all the time for 'that moment.' (the other is Eight Card Brainwave.)

Can't praise Chronologue highly enough. Its a true gem with a nice story that entertains!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On 2011-01-01 12:49, mastermindreader wrote:
It seems that some mentalists think that you need to have the diary in view from the outset to "prove" you are only using one diary. That is really "magician's thinking." Most people assume you would need dozens of diaries if you were going to cover all of the possible combinations - it's something that they mentally rule out if they ever think about it in the first place. (which, I have found, they don't)

Good thoughts,

Bob

From the way I see it, demonstrating to the spec as to what you want him/her to do is proof enough that you are using just one diary without having to explicitly point it out. Having to go through the spiel of "there's only one diary and it's been out in the open this whole time" to me really detracts from the routine's premise and also has the annoying side effect of drawing attention to the importance of the diary. Remember folks, as Bob has mentioned time and time again, the plot is about synchronicity, a purely mental synchronicity. The plot isn't synchronicity between a deck of cards and a diary Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Happy New Chronologue! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL