The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » MAK Steel Chair Suspension, Deluxe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
How about a little logic?

If you want the spectator to be comfortable then you should use two extra rests for their arms and another big one for their feet - then - when you take the board away it's like they're laying on 4 headrests.... What could be more deceptive?

Seriously. If you examine the performance of the Scimitar Suspension or the broom suspension THE AUDIENCE NEVER APPLAUDS WHEN THERE ARE TWO BLADES OR TWO BROOMS. They only applauds when you are down-to one blade or broom - ever. ALL suspensions should have just one contact point otherwise it's not a suspension it's a balancing act.

Look at your promotional photos and tell me that TWO points of contact look better then one. (Or do you photoshop the pole?)

Respectfully

Note to: jnrussell :I put Velcro to stop mechanical flash" Something's wrong if the cloth doesn't hide everything, on it's own.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Thanks for the kind words in regards to the ebook. It is much appreciated. It was written to help and give tips and guidance on the illusion for anyone who can gain from it.

Jay: Amen to your post. I applaud you. =)
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3267 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
The thread has been active for a year now and the original poster’s question has not really been discussed.

“Does anyone have any experience with the newer MAK Steel Chair Suspension Deluxe? ( http://www.abbottmagic.com/Chair-Suspens......0704.htm ) Is this simply an excuse to raise the price or does it really have some enhancements? How does this compare with the Mephisto version? My apology if this has been previously discussed as I could not find anything when searching.

Thanks!!
Dan.”

I am thinking of getting one, so,Let’s not hang our heads on this thread!!!!!!

Can anyone answer the question?
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Howie,

I went ahead and ordered one not long after my original post. I had lot's of experience with the older MAK Chair which I liked, but didn't love, due to the occassional sag when removing the board. This new version works nicely with kids who might not be perfectly centered on the board and larger kids. I must admit that I have not tried it with an adult. There is definitely a noticable difference in the steel suspension and I am happy with it. It also is heavier the carry but nothing rediculous. I saw that Jay Leslie now has a new model available which looks very appealing but presently I am quite happy.

Dan.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Dan;

Thanks for the answer; I am going to take your advice and buy the deluxe suspension

Buzz
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1142 Posts

Profile of danfreed
A little off topic, but I was thinking of getting a chair suspension. I've never seen it done in person, and I wasn't sure how well it "played" with an audience so I asked a friend who used to do it a lot. He said he stopped doing it because he thought the audience were able to guess the method (the physics) too easily. I wouldn't know, and I know you guys all like/love the trick, so I thought I'd see what you have to say. He also said something about the gimmick getting bent over time - so is that an issue and can it be fixed? Also, what brand/model is best if you are just doing it for kids? I want to stick around $500ish. I know many people like the Mak, but I used to know those guys at Mak when I lived in Columbus, I've been to their warehouse many times, and they were not an impressive bunch, and I felt the stuff they made wasn't so hot. But I know nothing about their chairs.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24030 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-12-14 19:18, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
Howie,

I went ahead and ordered one not long after my original post. I had lot's of experience with the older MAK Chair which I liked, but didn't love, due to the occassional sag when removing the board. This new version works nicely with kids who might not be perfectly centered on the board and larger kids.

Are both gimmicks identical?
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

I believe they are with more steel support on the newer version.

Dan.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24030 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I believe Elite's and Mak's are identical too. It seems like all chair suspensions gimmicks are the same except for Abbotts and the Mephisto Version.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Dynamike;

I am looking at your Avatar and notice that the chair suspension in the photo is holding up your assistant; I also notice that nothing on your assistant is sagging, as well as in the photo she looks extraordinarily firm, and extremely miraculous.

I am wondering what brand of suspension you use and if the suspension sags when you remove the chair.

Buzz
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24030 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Good one man.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I understand Kyle is planning to revise and expand the suspension eBook; if he included the prevention of sagging of the assistant it would sell very well.

Kyle if you need assistance on researching the prevention of sagging of the assistant section of your book, PM me
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Actually I already do touch base on the premise of sagging on the chair suspension and how to adjust accordingly to solve for it. I talk about it in the ebook. However, I do plan on covering off on this in much more detail as well as photos and such when I start to work on my volume 2.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 04:26, Dynamike wrote:
I believe Elite's and Mak's are identical too. It seems like all chair suspensions gimmicks are the same except for Abbott's and the Mephisto Version.

No. There are many differences. But to the casual observer they may look the same.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3267 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-12-15 13:43, magic4u02 wrote:
Actually I already do touch base on the premise of sagging on the chair suspension and how to adjust accordingly to solve for it. I talk about it in the ebook. However, I do plan on covering off on this in much more detail as well as photos and such when I start to work on my volume 2.

Kyle

Kyle, wake up!!!

I want to help with preventing the sagging of the female assistant, not the assistant on the suspension LOL
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Lol must be the pain medication talking.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Since starting this thread a little over one year ago, I made the switch and really liked my MAK Steel Chair Suspension .... that is right until I tried Jay Leslie's Elite Chair Suspension. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical but was I wrong. So far this has exceeded my expectations and really sets a new standard. Jay needs to be commended as he has made some significant engineering improvements that are not noticeable to the spectator as follows:

1) This is unbelievably sturdy and I seriously doubt sagging would even be a concern. Jay asserts that he tests each unit made by sitting on it. There is no question this is quite stable, not only in its weight displacement, but averts any swaying should the volunteer move. I have no doubt this would support an adult but I haven’t tried it yet.

2) This is easily assembled in front of an audience. Without revealing anything more specific, you can position the chairs and set the board into position without fussing for the perfect set.

3) Along the same train of thought, following the suspension, the board is effortlessly removed/disconnected without any distracting moves.

4) The gimmick itself is extremely stealth and this may be performed both close up and surrounded. Jay presents some specific handling tips for those kids who peer under the suspended subject.

5) An explanation and performance DVD is included where Jay shares specific tips for a variety of situations though nothing is really ever a big deal. The production itself is basic but the content is thorough.

6) The Elite Suspension also includes some subtle visual enhancements which add to the illusion of the suspended person.

7) The removed board and chair seem to be much lighter making their removal effortless.

8) The cloth along the board is substantially plusher and designed not to snag.

9) The Elite Suspension comes with a nice carry bag which is easy to load and carry the unit in and out of your venue over your shoulder.

I am sure that I am missing a number of other changes, but I did want to share my immediate observations as those things that were most relevant to my use. I have never used the European Chair Suspension and can't offer any observations as to how they might compare. I got this directly from Jay Leslie as believe he exclusively manufactures and sells these directly.

Dan.
Magician Toronto
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Magician Toronto
I just got a chair suspension from Mak Last month. It's defective and I sent 2 email to them with the pics and they have not responded. Any suggestions?
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

I would try calling them direct: (614) 276-7381
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3395 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Jay,
The "sagging" of the arms or the feet or any need of "rests" for them is not a meaningful comparsion so I don't see the logic in your point.

Also, the fact that there is no "applause" when a body is suspended from two points rather than one point has other causes than the one you are attributing it to. For one thing, one would hope the performer knows how to present an illusion so that they get applause at the climax to the effect through the use of visual cues to the audience that this is the moment.

In any case, the the earlier posts I in no way tried to say that suspension from two points were more magical than suspension from one point. That's the whole point of the dramatic arc of the illusion. It gets more remarkable. However, that does not invalidate that being suspended by two points is also remarkable and magical albeit less so.

Of course, the most magical would be to be suspended by zero points of contact. That is the type of suspension I usually perform.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » MAK Steel Chair Suspension, Deluxe (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL