The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I shoulda told Santa about this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2871 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I didn't see this until after Christmas: Smile

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2082573......ner.aspx

The review here was bad, but the one on the Rockler site was very good, so I guess I'll wait a while and see if there are any more. Funny thing is, I was thinking about something like this a couple of months ago when I was cutting an inside hole and didn't want to use a jig saw.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Up north here they have been running an ad blitz on late night tv for the past month. I guess they thought we would need a toy to play with while snowed in.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Nice little tool. The price is right.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
From the "you know you watch too much magic when.." file;

That video doesn't half look like the beginning of an illusion presentation. The dramatic music, the husky voiceover, the imposing blade, all cutting to a sweeping shot of an angular stage with two male and female performers approaching the apparatus... which is actually about a foot high. Ahem.

<husky>This shot will not cut away. Do not attempt this at home!</husky>
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2871 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Kerry, you're watching way too much magic. Smile

Actually, what I thought was really funny was the part where the guy sets up the sawhorses, takes down the saw, gets the board, cuts it, puts it all back, and sweeps the floor. Geez, no wonder he doesn't get anything done.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
This video gave me a serious blast from the past...

My dad and I spent the day at a friends house back when I was about 10 years old. The friend was showing off his new micro farm tractor to my dad, which came with different front attachments, like a snow blade, or a bucket, and so on. And then he spent two hours exposing a sewage line somewhere on the property with the digger arm. I was pretty impressed, being a kid and all. Then Dad said to me under his breath, "A good man with a shovel would have finished in 20 minutes."
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 14:28, KerryJK wrote:
From the "you know you watch too much magic when.." file;

That video doesn't half look like the beginning of an illusion presentation. The dramatic music, the husky voiceover, the imposing blade, all cutting to a sweeping shot of an angular stage with two male and female performers approaching the apparatus... which is actually about a foot high. Ahem.

<husky>This shot will not cut away. Do not attempt this at home!</husky>

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I wonder if it would have the same tendency to cut off plumb like a jigsaw dose a lot with thicker material. I noticed they showed how well it works on small short material pieces. Seems to me the thing would be a real pain on anything over a couple feet long.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2871 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Depending on the motor, blade, and alignment device (and price), I'd say it probably does have that tendency. For stuff longer than a couple of feet, I'd either use an extension on both sides, or just go to the miter saw.

What I really like about this item is the ability to cut inside holes (like the front of a square circle) without having to drive a jigsaw. Sure a scroll saw might work, but for a long straight cut I'd rather use a wider blade than a scroll saw has. If I were to buy one of these gadgets, I'd probably relegate it to inside holes and use the other tools for everything else.
www.georgefledo.net

Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Got one. Basically it is a upsidedown saber saw mounted on a table. Motor is not very strong at all. I don't know what they are cutting in the infomercials, but even with a soft wood like pine, try more than a half inch piece and it really cuts slow and can even drag the motor down to a halt. Definitely not worth the money.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2871 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Yikes! Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll go back to thinking about building my own.
www.georgefledo.net

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Now this looks worth the money!:
http://www.wimp.com/bandsawmagic/
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What a suprise ending! Loved it!
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Quote:
On 2011-01-03 22:15, Chance wrote:

I watched a guy do this at the Woodworking Show last year, the whole time he was doing it he was giving a sales pitch only occasionally looking down at the block of wood. Amazing!

Nick
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:

Great link! Thanks.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
WOW! how that guy went through all the practice it would take to pull that off and still have ten.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Neato clip, Chance. Thanks for sharing.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I think I will stick with my old Delta heavy duty jig saw..circa 1950. Does all I need it to. Besides it was Marshalls.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:

I'm speechless...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Yes, these trade show demonstrators are something else. I have tools I haven't even used for the past 18 years cause once you get them home they don't work as shown. I know. Practice, practice, practice!!!! He must be using a saw blade that cuts in all directions but I wonder what it does as it hits the blade aligner? Back to the woodcraft catalog.

Doc.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I shoulda told Santa about this (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL