The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Routine using (all) Buddha coin box set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Hello coinsters, FYI: I do birthday parties and school assembly shows primarily

I do copper/siver/brass; coins across and sun & moon regularly for shows where I am performing for older children or adults -- I also do cups n balls using a waist high table with servante.

That was just to let you know what the venue is for my question.

I already own some good reference material Tarbell course, Worlds Greatest Magic DVDs (gaffed coins / e.s.) and Modern coin Magic by Bobo.

I also have Okito coin box routines by Mohammed Bey, and Coining Magic by Ed Marlo. So between Bey, Marlo, Roth, Wagner and Eason I have some good routines for the above coin work, and for the basic okito box.

Whew, finally where I'm trying to get to!

I have the Buddha Coin Box set stainless steel set (see image)

http://themagicwarehouse.com/MB6727/Buddha-Coin-Box-Set.html

I bought the Buddha Coin Box Set nearly a year ago, and use the mag box as a regular okito. But I can't get over the idea that the entire set should be used together in an interchanging use of the boxes, culminating in the sucker box at the end.

Using a table with servante to switch between the Okito boxes should be a great routine. I have been trying to work on a routine for some time. Something like, using the okito (Mag) for a few standard okito moves, then using the steele coin followed by the slot box and ending with the sucker. I've experimented with doing an okito, then another coin routine, followed by the next okito box, then cups n balls followed by the slot okito box with a sucker switch. It is workable, but I am just not satisfied with the smoothness and I think doing the okitos as one straight routine would make it more magical and less likely for people to realize the boxes are being switched.

First, and comments and suggestions are welcome.

More specifically:

1. IF anyone knows of a routine using all three boxes can you direct me in the right direction.

2. If you have developed a routine with them, I'd like to discuss it with you and purchase the routine if you're willing to share.

Thanks, Habu

Click here to view attached image.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
For some reason I left out that the set has a Boston box! So I am, of course, trying to make a routine with the Boston in it, Following the traditional Okito and before the chopped okito.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
-While not "Buddha" specific, David Roth has extensive work using coin boxes in print and video which include work on ordinary, Boston, slot and use of some gaffs.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Habu,
I have a whole book on the boston box WITHOUT a coin stuck in the bottom! It's called Poff. coin box magic! P.M. me for more info!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1679 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I have a routine that makes use of The Okito, Boston, the Solid plug and the Sucker box, That I hope to publish very soon. Habu, if you're interested send me an email to mystre71@aol.com

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The Milt Kort routines in Bobo's are the traditional starting point for multibox routines where there's only one visible box. There's a lot to think about, there. Shigeo Futagawa has videos of his routines using these boxes, featuring his preference, which is to use the sucker box in the middle of the routine, rather than the end. I agree, there are much better endings.

Doug Brewer has an interesting analysis of this sort of work in "Coinbox Killers".

All that said, IMHO the mag box and the slot box are redundant. It's hard to imagine a routine that uses them both in distinctive ways. Probably best to just proceed with the slotbox.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Curtis where can we find Shigeo Futagawa's videos?

Thanks
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Joe, all I have for Shigeo is the address to his "Magic House":

1-10-10 Kamitan-Machi
Kanagawa-Ku, Yokohama 221
JAPAN

and his phone nuumber there: 045-324-0662

That's what's listed on his lecture notes from the Milan Convention in November. The videos I have are VHS tapes, but I think he's gotten them onto DVD by now.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Curtis, Thanks! I'll try and contact him. Anyone know if he speaks English ?
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
His English is very, very good. You shouldn't have any trouble.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Thanks Curtis!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Routine using (all) Buddha coin box set (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL