The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Are toll-free numbers still valid? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
So if a birthday party costs $300 out costs $75 to travel more than 2 hours?

I am trying to understand cost structure here.

In that case, one would charge $300 + whatever they thought was reasonable for 2 hrs travel. $125 maybe, making the price to the client $425. Likely, that is still a losing proposition, because it is more profitable to do two $300 shows for $600 in the time it took to drive to one show. I would think most would only be driving 2 + hours for higher priced shows (schools, fairs, etc.) it does depend on where one is located, how well established they are, and their financial needs.

The long and short of it is, these lower priced shows make travel and exchange rates very unattractive prospects in my opinion. The one thing those opportunities do serve is to examine buying patterns at higher fees.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
2018 Is anyone still paying for a toll free number?

Prediction-The next thing to go the way of the dinosaur is cable TV. Also, instead of ABC, CBS and NBC we will all turn to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
I've had my toll free number since 2006 and will probably keep it as long as I'm working. Here's why:

1. My work is not confined to any specific geographic area. Today I'm working in Kansas City, Thursday I'm flying to Reston, VA; and Sunday I'm on my way to give a keynote in Bangalore, India. In May, I'll be working in Columbus, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, and Copenhagen. I don't want anyone to make ANY assumptions about my services based on my area code (also, the website on my business card doesn't mention any location at all either)

2. I've moved a lot. I first started seriously investing in my business and marketing materials about 15 years ago. After spending a ton of money and business cards, brochures, presentation folders etc, I moved from the UK to the US and ALL of that was worthless. I decided that anything I would print would basically "universal." Nothing would have my address on it, only website, email, and (toll free) phone number.

3. I've changed my mobile phone number at least four times since 2006. It doesn't matter though, because my official number follows me to whatever number I'm using now.

4. I STILL get calls from people on that number. I've optimized my business around email and digital communication but I get calls from new and old clients who just prefer to do business over the phone.

Incidentally, I agree that cable TV is circling the drain. The savvy companies are shifting towards a digital subscription model (e.g. HBO GO, Showtime etc). Broadcast and cable TV has a captive market, but I believe DVR is about to reach a critical mass where the majority of TV audiences will be skipping commercials. When this happens, broadcast/cable TV will lose their advertisers and they will shift towards digital marketing whey they can either force an audience to watch the video or only pay if someone *actually* watches the ad.
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
I would love to know the consensus as to WHY toll free numbers might be irrelevant in 2018?

Possibilities:

1. Toll free numbers are used less in business because the majority of consumers don't pay per-minute for domestic long-distance anymore
2. With phone number portability, area codes are rapidly losing relevance since your area code is more of an indication of where you lived 10 years ago than where you live now.
3. Business isn't done over the phone very much anymore
4. Other?

What is your opinion?
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

The biggest discouragement for me is the monthly bill! Don't you still have to pay a bill plus pay for each call?

I can understand being reluctant to part with a number that's been with you for many years. But consider this: Lets say a customer from 5 years ago has kept your phone number and want to contact you again. What's the easier thing to do, look through a pile of business cards or an outdated address book, or just go to Google? I say Google. And your web site will always have your current contact information. Even if they do find you old business card and the call does not go through, they will probably at that point Google you.

Your point number 1 is good too. Toll free numbers used to be attractive to consumers because they did not have to pay for the call. Does anyone pay for their calls anymore?
www.KenNorthridge.com
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
My toll free calls are strictly PAYG; I pay 2.2 cents/minute for my toll free calls, no monthly bill. It costs me, on average, less than a dollar/month. I still believe that an 800 number feels more like something that belongs to a business but that might be a generational thing.

On the other hand, 800 numbers are very hard to come by. 800 and 888 feel almost identical but my magic toll free number is actually 877 which has less cachet and the toll free number for Mago is 844 which has even less. So even though I have toll free numbers, they probably don't feel like such.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

I'd wonder if people age 30 and under even know what toll free numbers are. I'd love to see the results of survey.
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Remember when people used to say "I'm calling all the way from X, LONG DISTANCE" as if they had walked the whole way?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
I got rid of mine in 2016,

I now get virtual office buildings and get a google map listing at all the cities I want to do work in.
Then I use Ring Central and have local numbers for each office.

I am up to 6 offices and generate calls from each of them weekly. I have plans to add 20 more over the next year.
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I recently got an 800 # just for the respectability factor. For less than ten bucks a month it gives me a bit more professional look. Nothing more. But I like it. I went with Freedom Voice after calling several companies to compare features.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Nick Miles
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Nick Miles
Quote:
On May 21, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
To me the key reason to have a toll-free number has always been for convenience to the customer. With that in mind comes the point, do potential customers still call 800 numbers? In this day and age of unlimited calling packages on cell phones and less land lines than every before in history, to me that is the question.

Then you have to factor some of the negative perceptions that may come into play that are a turn off for some when they see a 800 number. I guess your performance area/markets and other business factors also come into play with this as well.

Hi,
You bring up some insightful points regarding the relevance of toll-free numbers in today's communication landscape. While it's true that the prevalence of unlimited calling packages on cell phones and the decline in landline usage have reshaped how people communicate, toll-free numbers still hold value for businesses.

Here are some considerations:
1. Convenience to Customers
2. Perceptions and Preferences
3. Market Dynamics

Best Regards,
Nick Miles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Are toll-free numbers still valid? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL