The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Covering Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicChris83
View Profile
New user
Blackpool - UK
39 Posts

Profile of MagicChris83
I have primed and sealed several MDF Panels and now I want to cover it in a PVC (0.325mm thick) I have tried spray adhesive, and it was too lumpy. I have tried contact adhesive again same problem. I have now resorted to PVA, however it doesn't seem to be holding. Anyone have any suggestions of some other adhesive that may work?

I have also thought about double sided adhesive film (not tape) but this seem very expensive.

Thanks

Chris
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
How big are the panels,is the pvc stiff or soft,why did you prime and seal the panels if they are to be covered?
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
MagicChris83
View Profile
New user
Blackpool - UK
39 Posts

Profile of MagicChris83
The panels are all various sizes. biggest being 25 x 28 inch. I primed and and sealed to stop any glue soaking into the MDF.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Gluing mixed materials is always tricky, especially when one side is non-porous. In my opinion you've already tried the best solution with the contact cement. As far as it being too lumpy, I would suggest trying to thin it out with a solvent. It won't take too much solvent, so you'll want to add just a few drops at a time.
MagicChris83
View Profile
New user
Blackpool - UK
39 Posts

Profile of MagicChris83
Thanks Chance, will give it a go in the morning and report back.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have never had an issue with 3M "77" adhesive for similar applications. Make sure it is shaken well, the nozzle is clean, and make sure you apply the adhesive in multiple, light passes.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MagicChris83
View Profile
New user
Blackpool - UK
39 Posts

Profile of MagicChris83
Thank you Clinton I will have a look for that.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Chris,there is no problem with gluing to bare untreated mdf,either on the face or the edges.
Pva would have worked if it had not been sealed.
If you find any lumpiness with the spray thixotropic glue,a warm iron will sort out any problems.
The heat will soften and reset the glue,whilst the presure which you apply with the iron should even out any
high spots.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
MagicChris83
View Profile
New user
Blackpool - UK
39 Posts

Profile of MagicChris83
Thanks Ray, I will keep you posted.
MagicChris83
View Profile
New user
Blackpool - UK
39 Posts

Profile of MagicChris83
3m 77 works well and armed with an iron just incase I'm there, thanks for all your help guys.

chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Covering Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL