The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cups and Balls Loads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Patrick McKeever
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Patrick McKeever
Robert,

You are right about the fruit being fitted to the smaller cups. I will probably eventually buy a set of the Gazzo-size cups for the street but frankly, my smaller set has proven effective in the street.

The bulk of my work is private and corporate parties and hospitality suites where I load from my pockets. The smaller fruit works better when working from pockets.

As I said before, I prefer a different surprise under each cup along with the comedy lines that accompany them.

Just my thinking on the subject.

Having said this, there is still a lot to be said for the shear size of those oranges.

Patrick
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hey it is your act, you can load anything you want... whatever works.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Patrick McKeever
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Patrick McKeever
Pete,

I'd load alligators if I could get them in the cups.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned baby chicks.

I used to load a bowl of goldfish during a balls and hat routine, when I had the luxury of doing a sitdown act. It was a real pain. Now I use a coconut, which I have adapted to the street. The coconut ain't as strong but it takes little caring for and is a lot more practical.

By the way, what do you use for loads with your Hindu cups?

Patrick
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
With the Hindu cups, believe it or not, two-inch sponge balls...because I segue into the sponge balls in hands of speckies.

Speaking of "loads," the how and when is key. Today I saw a whole new time and way to load cups at the Magic Castle. A great routine too that was done by Reed McClintock.

Wow.

And his small linking (some call 'em Ninja) ring routine is DIFFERENT and awesome. I told him, "You gotta put that in print or on a DVD." He agreed.
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
Hi Pete,

Thank you. They seemed to get a great reaction from everyone.

I have just finished typing up the routine and will be selling it very soon. I also included the ring on wand routine in the manuscript.

It was great to have been able to spend some time with you in Hollywood.

Cheers
Reed Smile
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Likewise Reed...Sorry I couldn't slide over to the Coinvention. I hope you nailed a few of the locals. Smile
Twisted_Reality
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Twisted_Reality
The potato production is one ala Penn and Teller and I must say I have used it and received a big reaction, however, the one I have used and found works for an ending is the production of three small phones being produced.

I patter about the cups calling and end to the show and then re-produce the original three balls and pack them away.
Of course I can float, - can i borrow a jet pack from the audience please?
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Three small phones? I have never heard of that been done. Do you mean cell phones or (mobile phones in the UK)?
Twisted_Reality
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Twisted_Reality
Yes, small phones—little flip phones, I currently use broken Motorollas but whatever will fit in your cups will work great.
Of course I can float, - can i borrow a jet pack from the audience please?
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
He he, may give that a try.

How about producing the three phones then putting them back under the cups and one starts to ring? You try to find which one is ringing, however, it turns out that they have all disappeared. Smile
nick nickolas
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
78 Posts

Profile of nick nickolas
As far as I know I am the only guy on the planet using tennis balls. They are lighter and do not go mouldy in your pouch...Nick
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Owens new cups are made to take a tennis ball, so I would guess you may NOT be the only dude on the planet using them...

FORE!

OOOPS, that's golf.
Smile
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I practiced with tennis balls a bit, but the dogs liked 'em too much, and they would turn up wet and slimey from time to time so I got some hand-sewn bean bag soccer balls that are the same size.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-11-25 08:38, nick nickolas wrote:
As far as I know I am the only guy on the planet using tennis balls. They are lighter and do not go mouldy in your pouch...Nick

Maybe the only guy in Australia, but not by any means the only guy on the planet. My final load for the Stubby cups was tennis balls. I still have a couple dozen of them.

BTW, Wal Mart has a special box full of two dozen "smiley face" tennis balls for a very low price—less than 10 bucks, if I recall correctly.

Also, any cup that will take a baseball will usually take a cricket ball.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
I faced the problem of the three loads in a different way. Specifically, how do you make each revelation bigger (in impact) that the previous one?

The first can simply be something different. A larger ball works fine.

The second item can be a much large object, something that fills the cup.

The third one was a problem. What I ended up doing is this: while people are looking at the second revelation, I lift the third cup with one hand and put it on top of my other hand which is palming a ball so big it won't fit in the cup. With misdirection, I make it appear that this ball has fallen out of the cup. Then I say, "My only question is, how did that ball get in their in the first place?" and I put the cup on top of the ball, showing that the ball can't fit.

It's been a great conclusion and I've never had anybody "figure out" how the larger ball fits into the cup. You should see them trying to press that ball in or look for ways to make it compress!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
These are all very creative. There is much good thought here.

I'm not mentioning the following as a substitute for any of these, but I thought I needed to post this discovery somewhere, and this is as good a place as any.

I was in a store that sells linens, etc., and other home supplies. Among their offerings were some balls for dogs to play with. These look like tennis balls, but are made of solid rubber. They are also quite colorful. If weight is not a problem, they might make good loads.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

nick nickolas
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
78 Posts

Profile of nick nickolas
OK, not on the planet...I meant on the street...

Also, I have done a pint of beer as the hat load but got messy a couple of times so sometimes I just do the big glass and say, "If you saw me do this in a pub, you'd buy me a drink wouldn't you? Well here's my glass!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's a great hat load. Robert Hummer used to do a foaming glass of "beer" from a hat at the end of his busking routine in bars. The beer was not actually real beer. It was a mixture of vinegar with a bit of soda to produce the "head."

In a very un-Hummer-like attempt to prove that it was real beer, he would drink the whole thing down. It may have been what caused his death. He died of a stomach ailment, according to Crandall, who was one of his close friends.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

nick nickolas
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
78 Posts

Profile of nick nickolas
Also a theory I had was if I produced a full glass of beer, why would they give me money for a drink when I already had one in front of me? So empty glass was in...

Also, I used real beer and would start to get quite ***** after a few shows.

Nick
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-12-07 19:16, nick nickolas wrote:
Also a theory I had was if I produced a full glass of beer, why would they give me money for a drink when I already had one in front of me? So empty glass was in...

Also, I used real beer and would start to get quite ***** after a few shows.

Nick

That was the same reason that I dropped the Miser's Dream from my Renaissance Festival act after the first day that I used it. Why should they put money in my hat if I could pull it out of the air?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cups and Balls Loads (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL