The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Who Invented Skinner's Ultimate 3CM ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
I read somewhere else that Michael Skinner was not the originator of 'Michael Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte.' Unfortunately, the guy who thinks this cannot remember who is. Does anyone here know?

Genghis
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1629 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
The idea of using those cards I believe is Eddie Tatylbaum's. The idea of the gimmick may go back to Theodore Deland.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
I'm not entirely sure of the origin either.

I recall buying Mike Roger's "Unconquered Card" (which is exactly the same idea, but different routining) before I seen Skinner's on the market.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Deland's "Pick it Out" was released in 1908. Often tidbits of information like this can be found in that wonderful book on card tricks "Small But Deadly". This was mentioned in the first chapter.

Over the years people have routined it a little differently or had the ace a contrasting colour or suggesting ways of switching the gaffs in or used jumbo cards etc. but the basic method is the same. The person that has added more refinements to it than anyone else (ways of holding and concealing parts of the cards, lengthier sequencing etc.) is Bob Farmer. Anyone interested in the routine for close up use should check out Bob's treatment/tutorial on it.

Along the way, people like Eddie Tatylbaum, Ken de Coucy, Mike Rogers, Mike Skinner Peter Pitt, to name a few have been associated with versions of the routine.

The Deland connection has also been mentioned earlier on the Café, the thread here for instance:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=204

wherein jumbo card versions like Chase The Ace and Clever Ace are mentioned. The latest jumbo card incarnation is the one released by Joe Monti last year.

Paul.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1629 Posts

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the great information.

Where can we find the Bob Farmer treatments you mentioned?

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Dorian, simply do a Google search for Bammo Monte Monster. I'm sure you'll get a few hits for places to obtain it from.

A review of "Small But Deadly" which often answers questions like these can be found here;
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......orum=110

Paul.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1629 Posts

Ah, okay. Wasn't sure if it was Bammo or in print in another place.

Thanks,

Dorian Rhodell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Who Invented Skinner's Ultimate 3CM ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL