The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 3 coin vanish....with reappear...or not? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
310 Posts

Profile of dedikc
Michael you are rigt. Not the good name. I say edge grip because it's like a edge grip but without holding something. Like a curl palm with the thumb et the edge of the stack. Because all the routines make use of the edge grip so I don't want to change the coin position in the hand.

Glad to see that I 'm not the only one to think at this.
Earful
View Profile
New user
A Magical Place, CA.
29 Posts

Profile of Earful
Thanks Eric....it will be mostly stand-up parlor style (like in the front room of a home)....to begin with. I plan on a table/Bar version as well......
---------

"live and let Amaze"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-01-09 13:43, cperkins wrote:
In addition to having specs accept what we do as magic or at least magical, we sometimes give them absolutely "whacked out" premises to swallow as well as we execute routines. Sorcery and super science themes often amount to a tough sell for adults as least. Overthinking about patter themes can ruin otherwise very nice routines if mechanics are just so so. I'm just saying....

I totally agree about asking folks to take any "whacked out" premise seriously as awkward.

On the other side here's part of a script I wrote for a coin production sequence that starts when you take out a coin purse, open it and find nothing, then go fishing in your pocket to look for it: "I'd like to show you something with a special coin. It's always ahead of the game appears at fingertips of hand while other hand is reaching into pocket. This next coin ... and those are the three coins, well four when you remember where you put it".

The above sets the stage for coins appearing, going invisible, not being where you are looking etc yet also makes it pretty clear that you are also well aware that they know such can't be true. So it's like a joke where they get to laugh along with the action instead of punch lines.

Getting to the end of the paragraph quoted - I feel it useful to caution against a focus on mechanics and instead suggest a focus on clear evident effect.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Earful
View Profile
New user
A Magical Place, CA.
29 Posts

Profile of Earful
Great stuff Jonathan.....I DO use a coin purse....and I really don't want something too corny with respect to a story-line. This does help immensely with a logical sequence....this could even be mimed to music......hmmmm....
---------

"live and let Amaze"
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Jonathan -

Beautiful magic results from this kind of thinking...clever! This is a total opposite to what I was referring to above.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 3 coin vanish....with reappear...or not? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL