The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If you get a phone call from "Microsoft" saying they found a virus, just hang up on them. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
It's a scam. They will try and direct you to a website that actually installs malicious software on your computer. The scam is called "phishing", and it usually comes in an email that tries to direct you to a malicious website. The phone call is a new twist. Don't fall for it.

Microsoft provides its own tech support (for a fee), and they will not call you unless you log a service ticket with them first.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Thanks for the Heads-Up.
I don't make purchases on the phone unless I make the call and if anyone tells me to go to any website or tries to direct me to another number or person, I just hang up.
I sometimes get a call that say's "This is a very important call, please hold on while we direct you to an operator" or some such B.S.
If the call is important enough, then have a human online when I answer. I don't condone or incourage such rude behavior (same a ringing someones doorbell and walking away).
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I yelled at them ... they were interrupting a very important call I was on about millions of dollars coming to me from Nigeria.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I also have a huge sum of money waiting for me in Nigeria. I just need to come up with the cash to have it sent to me.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If you get a phone call from "Microsoft" saying they found a virus, just hang up on them. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL