The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Having a Laproscopic Nissen Fundoplication (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Well, its been more than a year since my last post on this.

Though there have been successes, much of the last year has been spent trying to figure out how to speak, and sing, normally again - not that there is a physical problem...it is just that after so many years, I forgot what normal speaking and singing felt and sounded like! Also trying to lose the 'clutter' that came with forcing my voice to do my bidding as I had done in the past.

There were some moderate successes, but I was still having to sing 'carefully'.

Then....

About 3 months ago I landed the role of Radames in the musical version of "Aida". They wanted to do "Les Miserables" (I wanted them to do it, too!) but it was on tour, so they couldn't get the rights to do it. I knew very little about "Aida" the musical so I auditioned, and got cast as the male lead.

Little did I know how difficult this role is. There is a lot of singing, and I would say about 2/3 of Radames's music lies in the Eb to Gb range, and often just hangs there. My voice teacher called it a 'throat killer'.

But each time I go through a show, I learn, and about 1 week before the performances, EVERYTHING came together, and I had the performances of my life. To finally live up to my standards - and do it in a role that was so difficult - was so gratifying that it is hard to express. I thanked God and my voice teacher, in that order Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
How wonderful.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Great ending to that story. Rather, great ending to that chapter in the story. Gongrats! It's great to read that these good things happen.
Amaze us.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
No thanks for the surgeon?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Woland, I thanked him quite some time ago, already (don't assume to much Smile ). But after his work was done there was much (!) still to be done. The fact that it was well over a year between the surgery and these performances should attest to that.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Fair enough. I guess all of that occurred during the year in which there were no updates. From reading the posts, it seemed that the improvement was directly related to the operative result. My apologies.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
That's ok. But yes, the real work occurred during the time that followed the surgery. The surgery assured that the work of regaining competent vocal function would no longer be hindered. And even then it took a year and a half.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I pray that the results will be durable, and that your abilities will continue to improve.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thank you so much!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Wow, I just came in on this story- how inspiring! Good luck Chessmann...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Not to ruin your day, but...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200......4605.htm

Talk to your doctor about the potential for throat cancer. Just to be safe.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Never noticed this before - great story - not just of the operation but of your persistence and dedication - I hope all continues to go well.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thank you, Jim and Destiny.

Rock, interesting article. I'm probably pretty safe - I've had 2 procedures where they sent a scope down into my esophagus, and surprisingly, the tissues looked very healthy (as opposed to many GERD patients, who have discoloration and scarring. The article also said "you want to supress the reflux" and the surgery took care of that.

Nevertheless, the tissue, though healthy, has been exposed to acid for a long time. It is something to think about and I am grateful for your pointing it out.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Fantastic Mark! Congratulations!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
violetrav
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of violetrav
Hi Mark!

Firstly, I want to tell you what a BEAUTIFUL voice you have. I listened to your YouTube post of "They Call the Wind Maria" and was very impressed with your natural baritone voice ... lovely color and sound ... I can COMPLETELY understand and relate to your woes with regard to LPR. I, myself, have a similar story. I am a lyric soprano and have been pursuing an opera career for many years and have dealt with reflux for at least the past 15 years. I was only recently diagnosed with LPR and it really has robbed me of my voice and, I feel, chances of a very good career in opera. I initially respond to twice a day PPI therapy but it stopped working after one year. I am now very seriously considering the surgery. I am currently working with a teacher who is hopeful for my beating this thing and is hopeful that, after surgery, my voice may find the ease and effortless production of the past. If I can't sing, I don't know what my life's purpose and passion would be ... I guess I would need to figure that out, but I am hopeful the surgery may help me as it seems to have helped you. Smile

I wonderful if you wouldn't mind sharing more of your experience with me, or, if you would be willing to e-mail me about it privately ... My e-mail address is violetrav@hotmail.com.

Many thanks and best wishes to you!

Maryann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Having a Laproscopic Nissen Fundoplication (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL