The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fame is Fleeting Game (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25~26~27~28 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Oh yeah. I remember the jar deal. Didn't remember the name but I remember people freaking out about the art.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 12:32, landmark wrote:
Speaking of Forests, how about Edwin Forrest?

No takers.....Maybe a clue?
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Lived in the 19th century, American--and make no mistake about that!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
I thought Woland might get this one, but I'm not sure if he visits this thread.
Anyway Edwin Forrest was arguably the first American star. He was a Shakespearean actor who had a tremendous following of loyal working class Americans, and acted in a very physically powerful way. In 1849, he had a Shakespearean showdown with the celebrated English Shakespearean, William MacCready. While MacCready toured the States, Forrest followed MacCready around the country comparing the two interpretations of Shakespeare. Finally in New York, MacCready was playing Macbeth at the upper class Astor Place Opera House while Forrest was also acting Macbeth the very same night at the low rent Broadway Theatre down the street. It was comparable to a present day battle of the bands. Forrest's fans packed the Opera House balcony and cat-called and threw food during MacCready's performance. Eventually police were called in and demonstrators were so demonstrative, both inside and outside the theatre, that a riot ensued against the British actor, led by the infamous Bowery Boys. The streets outside the Opera House were filled with 10,000 people. When the smoke cleared, The Astor Place Riot had left 25 dead and 120 wounded. If you've seen Scorsese's Gangs of New York, these were the guys he was talking about. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astor_Place_Riot
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Very interesting reading,thanks!
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Idris I.
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Just visited this thread for the first time. Thanks, landmark. A great story from a time when people took art seriously, it would seem!

I was always surprised at how meekly Genl. Braxton Bragg accepted Bedford Forrest's death threats against him. But the irascible Forrest seems to have mellowed:

Quote:
In 1875, Forrest demonstrated that his personal sentiments on the issue of race now differed from that of the Klan, when he was invited to give a speech before an organization of black Southerners advocating racial reconciliation, called the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association. At this, his last public appearance, he made what the New York Times described as a "friendly speech"[10] during which, when offered a bouquet of flowers by a black woman, he accepted them as a token of reconciliation between the races and espoused a radically progressive (for the time) agenda of equality and harmony between black and white Americans.[51]

There were a number of Arab rulers going by the name of Idris. I'm not sure which one you mean.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Mohammad Idris al-Sanousi, aka King Idris I.

What made him special is that he was the one and only Monarch of Libya.
Since they speak Arabic in Libya I'll say Woland's answer counts.

Your turn, W!

(I know it wasn't technically my turn when I first posted this, but I took the liberty of bringing the thread back because I missed it Smile )
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'll take the liberty of filling in until Woland gets back.
Fred Merkle.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Lucy and Desi's friend?
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Fred Merkle was a baseball player who ... well let Wikipedia tell the story:
Quote:
On September 23, 1908, while playing for the New York Giants in a game against the Chicago Cubs, while he was 19 years old (the youngest player in the National League), Merkle committed a baserunning error that became known as "Merkle's Boner" and earned him the nickname "Bonehead."

In the bottom of the 9th inning, Merkle came to bat with two outs, and the score tied 1–1. At the time, Moose McCormick was on first base. Merkle singled and McCormick advanced to third. Al Bridwell, the next batter, followed with a single of his own. McCormick trotted to home plate, apparently scoring the winning run. The fans in attendance, under the impression that the game was over, ran onto the field to celebrate.

Meanwhile, Merkle, thinking the game was over, ran to the Giants' clubhouse without touching second base. Cubs second baseman Johnny Evers noticed this, and after retrieving a ball and touching second base he appealed to umpire Hank O'Day, who would later manage the Cubs, to call Merkle out. Since Merkle had not touched the base, the umpire called him out on a force play, meaning that McCormick's run did not count.

Was in a conversation today with a friend and the name Megan Marshack came up. Any takers?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2012-04-15 23:17, landmark wrote:
I'll take the liberty of filling in until Woland gets back.
Fred Merkle.

The Goat
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Megan Marshack...
Stand-up comedienne?
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That name is not ringing any bells....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
She killed someone famous, but she's not exactly a murderer...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
She Rocked his world...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Did she give Rock Hudson AIDS?
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Nope. This is rich.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Megan Marshack was with former VP Nelson Rockefeller in a Manhattan town house when he died of a heart attack. The accounts given by aides and family were contradictory, but the most plausible explanation was that she was his mistress and the he died while having sex with her. Some accounts have her pinned under his dead body for a period of time.

Here's one of the less lurid articles about the death:
http://articles.nydailynews.com/1998-11-......less-man

There have been some wild conspiracy theories concerning her since she soon disappeared after his death. Some say (tommy you might want to research this) she was murdered after a night of cocaine and sex with Rockefeller and Hugh Morrow, Rockefeller's chauffeur and family friend. Here's a lead to the wilder stories:
http://theamericanchronicle.blogspot.com......ler.html
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Then I was close Smile
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fame is Fleeting Game (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25~26~27~28 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL