The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fame is Fleeting Game (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..8..12..16..20..24..26~27~28 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here's how the game works. The OP posts a name of someone who was once famous, and now presumably is obscure. If someone can answer why the person was famous, then s/he gets to put forward a name. Got it? Of course no Internet or other outside help.

So . . . George Metesky.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
He was the linebacker for the world champion Vince Lombardy Greenbay Packers, or was that Ray Nitschke.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
No. I actually know the answer, but technically I had outside help as I read a book of essays by Malcolm Gladwell over the holiday and one of his essays talked about George Metesky.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
So who is he already?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's yours balducci, go ahead.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
George Metesky was the Mad Bomber in New York, in the 1940s and 1950s.

Over Christmas, I read about him in one of Malcolm's essays (compiled in the book "What the Dog Saw") that dealt with FBI profilers. Which was a really rather interesting essay, because he discussed how the profilers use the same techniques as magicians, psychics, and astrologers who use cold reading techniques. I just googled and found the essay online here, for anyone interested in it:

http://www.gladwell.com/2007/2007_11_12_a_profile.html

Okay, so here is my once was famous now obscure name (maybe it is too easy, we'll see): Haile Selassie I
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Didn't he rule Israel at one time?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Father of Modern Reggae? Rah (King) Stafari (sp) i.e. Rastafarians?!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I guess Lobo more or less has it. Close enough for me, anyway. My standards are not that high this evening. Smile From Wikipedia (with some editing):

Haile Selassie I, "Power of the Trinity"[1]) (23 July 1892 – 27 August 1975), born Tafari Makonnen,[2] was Ethiopia's regent from 1916 to 1930 and Emperor of Ethiopia from 1930 to 1974.

Among the Rastafari movement, Haile Selassie is revered as the returned Messiah of the Bible, God incarnate. They perceives Haile Selassie as a messianic figure who will lead a future golden age of eternal peace, righteousness, and prosperity.

He gave a famous speech making him an icon for anti-Fascists around the world, and Time Magazine named him "Man of the Year", in 1936.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Pete Rademacher

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
No clue.

Let's agree that if no one gets the answer within a reasonable amount of time to be determined by the Question Asker, then the QA will give the answer and then pose another name.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'll put another one up at noon if ol' Pete is still unloved.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Noon is such a relative concept. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 12:12, balducci wrote:
Noon is such a relative concept. Smile

lol Sorry...PST - in about 2 3/4 hours.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think you've got us all stumped Lobo.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Oops, sorry about that. Rademacher was an Olympic gold medal boxer who made boxing history by fighting for the world's heavyweight championship in his first professional fight. He actually dropped champion Floyd Patterson in the second round, but Patterson got up to knock him out in the 6th. In his second fight, Rademacher took on Zora Folley, an extremely tough contended. The guy went from 3-round amateur bouts to slugging it out with the best pros in the world. I think he ended up with a very mediocre professional record, something like 15-7, then retired while he still had his faculties and became a very successful businessman.

How about...Rob Pilatus?

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
The distant descendant of the Roman playwright, he ended up writing the screenplay for Howard the Duck?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
That name rings a bell, but I'm not sure where I've heard it?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1195 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Landmark...good guess, but not the answer we're looking for.

Al, I expected you to get the boxer, not this one!

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
And the answer is . . ?
Do we get to use the Internet if there's no answer within 24 hours?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fame is Fleeting Game (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..8..12..16..20..24..26~27~28 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL