The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Library performers showcase question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I got a 15 minute slot at a performers showcase for a library system. I had a pretty good themed show for last summer (Make A Splash) and am writing a new one for this years summer theme.

My question is during my showcase performance, would you say that I should attempt to do my routines as if the librarians were the ages that I'm marketing the show to (3-10) or should I do material that is more sophisticated to showcase my personality, but not necessarily the routines that I would be doing for the show. Any routines that depend upon audience reaction (e.g. look/don't see) will probably fall flat, but do you think the librarians would be able to extrapolate how the routine would play for actual children?

Thanks in advance.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
A presentation to whether adults or kids should never be about the routines, but about the message. Messages first, routines second, only as a means of support to the message.
Full Effect Steve
View Profile
New user
NJ
82 Posts

Profile of Full Effect Steve
I performed at a Library Showcase here in NJ for the Make a Splash Theme and found it interesting that half of the perfomers did exactly what they would do for a "children's library show" (as I did) and the other half played strictly to the librarians as adults. Not sure which works better because I have since talked to some of the performers and it appears we all recieved an increase in bookings after the showcase. If I do another library showcase I would once again do my routines that I would actually use in my Children's Library Show. I think that the children's librarians realize that the routines are meant for chilren and it gives them a clear understanding of what you will do if they book you. Playing to them as an adult gets them to "like you and your personality" but in my opinion doesn't give them a clear idea of the type of routines that your show would include. Hope it helps and enjoy the showcase!
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Thanks for the reply, Steve. Did you (or anyone) do any type of special introduction (e.g. "now I'm going to act as if you are all 7 year olds at the ABC Library, please play along" ), did you just assume that they would 'get it'.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
They are there to book kids entertainment........ so I would show them kids entertainment. I would think a good opening would be ...... "Hi Kids!"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I performed my Magic just as I would for a show, which is interesting and fun for all.

Avoid the theme material for the showcase.

My experience is that most Libraries don't care much about the theme, they hire people who only pay lip service to the theme year after year.
I spend a lot of time writing to the theme every year but that material is generally weaker and unappreciated (it hasn't been polished by time). Every year I promise myself that I'll do less "on theme" but I keep doing it anyway.

I think what they really want is a fun Magic Show! Your Showcase performance should play to that.

-Mary Mowder
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
It is really important NOT to perform for the librarians as ...librarians.

The librarians want to know what you will be doing in your show if you are hired. They will generally be more than happy to respond and participate as much as they can so they get an idea of what your like.

I've gone to a showcase several times with a friend and co-worker of mine, who is a childrens librarian. We talk about the performances afterward and there are always a few that do a really good performance for the librarians in attendance, but did not give a very good idea of how they would entertain a group of young and mixed age kids.

...I think the opener "Hi Kids" would probably go over very well and be very funny.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Thanks for the replies.

Regarding theming the show, I personally think that theming the show gives the librarians an additional choice, if they want to follow the theme. It also shows that you've done your homework and are catering to their needs...not just bringing your standard show to them. Still, to go along with MM's comment, I had a table at one showcase and one librarian actually told me that she didn't care about the theme..but that was just one.

Again..thanks for the thoughts.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
No librarian I've ever talked to cared about the theme

...but I've heard many performers say that their bookings go up dramatically when they have a good theme show.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
When I did a showcase a few years ago I started out talking to the librarians about who I am and what I offer while doing professors nightmare to go along. I then slipped into kidshow mode by grabbing a volunteer and doing a bit from my show. My experience is that librarians are responsive to themed shows if you prove that you are good at making it unique.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I don't know about theme, but after my last 2 library tours, I had librarians actually thank me after the show for doing a show about books and reading. Too many performers (of all stripes) do the same old show they normally do and stick a 5 minute "read a book" message on the end.

I also think (at least in BC)theme IS important. The BC Library Association comes up with a theme (and sub themes for each week) and do their best to work within the theme.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 13:19, Neale Bacon wrote:
Too many performers (of all stripes) do the same old show they normally do and stick a 5 minute "read a book" message on the end.

My friend has mentioned this to. He doesn't mind it per se, but he is not impressed either. I had asked him about a reading show before and he said he would be interested but had never seen one; he added that most performers THINK that they are doing reading shows by appending it with a little mention at the end.

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Most librarians that I come in contact with are looking for a magician that can hold the kids attention for 45 minutes, and if that magician can make the kids laugh too the librarian will recommend you other librarians.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Library performers showcase question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL