The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Saw first half of the show that was enough. What a couple of *****.

If this is the best we can come with for TV magic shows we are in trouble.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I am pleased that my opinion of these two is shared by so many.
(Was not the case several years ago).

Not saying they are not good at what they do.

But saying what they do is not good.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Well they are ritually trying to make the magicians look like idiots and beg for a place on their show. Its horrible to watch. Esecially as some of the magicians are great.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
They are *****. -.-

And John Archer is amazing. And he always told the truth. John if you're reading, well done mate.
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
Gatehouse
View Profile
Regular user
Cardiff, UK
117 Posts

Profile of Gatehouse
John Archer was a joy to watch and to be honest, I was gutted that Michael Vincent didn't fool them - he's just so classy lol.

Having said that, some of the acts, I wasn't so impressed with. Still, swings and roundabouts.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 17:29, Ryan Leston wrote:
John Archer was a joy to watch and to be honest, I was gutted that Michael Vincent didn't fool them - he's just so classy lol.

Having said that, some of the acts, I wasn't so impressed with. Still, swings and roundabouts.

The acts themselves were brilliant, all of them were good standard. But the exposure was mean. Smile
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
John was brilliant but they still tried to expose his method. They weren't happy that he did. They are arrogant *****.
Gatehouse
View Profile
Regular user
Cardiff, UK
117 Posts

Profile of Gatehouse
Yea, to be honest, I was praying for them not to expose Archer's method and they did come pretty close.
But it was a great performance and from what we could see of the audience, he seemed to win them over in a heartbeat Smile
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1859 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Why did they need to expose anything? Coded language and clever words could have made the show...John, Michael, and Benjamin, simply great!
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
You know there is a great promotional angle here.

Why not go on get in a fight with them then start
a web series exposing them?

D amn Deluxe bit of a fire that would start.

Take apart their enire act and pay for the
web sites promotion.

Guess this is something I may need to do
now that this thread made me think of it.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
Agreed level of exposure totally unnecessary
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Wasn't just the exposure it was the awful disrespect and way they treated the preformers. It was degrading.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
The second guy who did the aweful Mentalism had terrible patter. It shows the difference between Mentalism and Mental Magic.
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
What did I miss... I have no idea what you guys are talking about. What show is it and . . . Is it on Youtube yet?

By the way I recently saw P&T's live show and it was disappointing. I was not impressed for the amount of cash I handed over and neither were many in the audience as I listened to conversations of others as we left the theater. Still...they make a lot of money.
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I enjoyed all of the acts, the only one I wasn't too keen on was the guy with the blank cards who force the ten of hearts, he was definitely doing Derren Brown's style. I figured it out straight away and I'm so far from Penn and Teller's level unlike some on here.

Michael Vincent was brilliant I was surprised to see him considering he is one of the best card magicians in the world, but I guess that doesn't count for much today. I'm not a big fan of card magic but he was so polished and smooth I really wanted him to fool them but unfortunately he didn't.

Benjamin Earl managed to fool them although they said not completly, but that doent matter he's still going to Las Vegas.

John Archer was a big surprise he fooled them with just Five envelopes. I didn't know much about him but from what I had heard he wasn't too special, I found myself warming to him more and more as his act progressed and he was quite funny. The main thing is he is going to be their opening act in Las Vegas. Good for him.
Gatehouse
View Profile
Regular user
Cardiff, UK
117 Posts

Profile of Gatehouse
You know, the more I think about the show, the more I think that, had I been in John Archer's shoes, I'd have told them where to shove their all expense paid trip.

Having very nearly exposed the method to what I feel is a bloody beautiful piece of mentalism, Penn proceeded to be very dismissive of him afterwards, obviously preferring the 'cocky' magicians as he put it.
At the very least, the hat has been tipped to the lay audience that there is a 'trick' behind this routine and it worries me that this sort of effect could now be viewed as more of a puzzle to the god knows how many who saw the show.

All in all, a very poor show from these so called professionals, but some nice routines from the UK performers at least.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5733 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 18:57, mindguru wrote:
The main thing is he is going to be their opening act in Las Vegas. Good for him.
Not for long... once Vegas sees Archer on stage, full force, he'll have his own show awfully darn quick. Funny, entertaining, great pacing, and a great showman.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Lets face it they as good as exposed it. They said more than enough. But what can Archer do in such a situation? I thought it was a terrible situation to put him in.
I also thought it terrible that such a class act as Michael Vincent should be working for free in a magic competition. That was outrageous. He was a TV star 20 years ago.
I didn't think the 2nd act (10 of hearts) was as bad as some say. Having said that I would have done a switch on the final placement and had Jonathan Ross pick up a deck that now had ALL the 10 of hearts. Couldn't believe he missed that opportunity.
But I think Jim Callahan is on the money. A TV special completely exposing the works of Penn and Teller. They could never argue against that now could they? What's good for the goose...
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Penn And Teller. Well that's it for me. They can go shoot themselves. And I was a fan before.
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
What are you talking about, where is this video?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL