The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27019 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 13:50, Mesaboogie wrote:...
John Archer was fab though, brilliant routine, well executed, and great patter. He comes across as a very likeable man,...

Did he invent that handling of the Bank Night trick?
Also, look at his face as Penn was discussing methodology.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
esmolko
View Profile
New user
Kent, oh
33 Posts

Profile of esmolko
I thought the show was great and had an nice variety of acts. I think sometimes magicians are too sensitive to exposure, Penn and Teller did a good job censoring most of the methods. I am fooled all the time by techniques that I already know, Magic is about presentation.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2011-01-09 00:59, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 13:50, Mesaboogie wrote:...
John Archer was fab though, brilliant routine, well executed, and great patter. He comes across as a very likeable man,...

Did he invent that handling of the Bank Night trick?
Also, look at his face as Penn was discussing methodology.

I think Max Maven would have had a worst look on his face.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
306 Posts

Profile of archini
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the kind comments and much appreciated. I am not going to go into the why's and wherefores of the show or indeed why I did it. After the show (We were kept well away from them beforehand) Penn and Teller were very sweet and encouraging about my routine. I showed Teller the exact method and he was gracious enough to say it was "so much better than he had imagined". I don't think they were in any way threatened by my performance or dismissive of it on the show. They were doing what they do, being controversial and rattling the cage a little. I think they saw the funny side of being fooled with 5 envelopes. The guess they made, though wrong is what most intelligent lay people would (and indeed sometimes do) offer as a solution, impractical though that would be. I had no problem wit what was aired. A huge amount of exposure and discussion which took place during recording never made it to the final broadcast and that was definitely due in a great part to the wishes of Penn and Teller.
I am not sure if it is healthy to encourage an audience to watch a magic show where the emphasis is purely on the how, but as someone has said a lot of the laypeople watched the show without even considering that in this particular case because they had two experts there to worry about that for them.

A difficult dilemma but an interesting one.

John
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
>He was a TV star 20 years ago.

What's that based on? Being on Paul Daniel's Secrets and a few other guest spots?

He was, however, on typical cracking form for P&T and really nothing was exposed. I wonder why he chose the routines he did (slap aces and his super-saccharine new-deck-order trick) when IMHO he really might have fooled them with some of his other material.
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
He probably chose those routines because that's what he wanted to get some fresh broadcast tape of himself doing, and a little exposure of his best laymen material.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Can anyone really act surprised? All the exposure seemed fine yesterday. As I recall, they were touted by many here as being actually "good" for magic...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Just watched the show -- count me on the side of Kerry and SWNErdnase. Great magicians and an air of respect for magic as an art form. Interesting to see the conversation here versus over at the Genii forum, where no one -- including some well known names -- seems to be worried about exposure.

Like some others on this thread, I did wonder about some of the choice in material, such as Michael Vincent's. I think he just went out to do his classic sleight-of-hand and ditched the idea of fooling them. Great to see, still, and Benjamin Earl was thrilling.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1099 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I thought this was a wonderful programme. It's nice to see magic back on the TV for one.

I don't understand all the complaining here about it. Penn & Teller were superb as always & I thought they were complimentary to all the contestants, even John Archer. Well done to you John by the way, nice routine. Kinda reminded me of Wayne Dobson.

Lets not forget, Penn & Teller were there to be fooled & I don't think they gave anything away to your average layman in proving they knew the methods. Gimmicked deck & extra envelope was about as detailed as they got. Certainly nothing to get your knickers in a twist about as some have here.

Glad this was a one off though as it kept the quality high & didn't risk going down the X Factor / Plop Idol route.
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
From ITricks: With all the buzz that has surrounded Penn & Tellers hit, “Fool Us” it was almost a matter of time that the DVD announcement was made. As Tweeted by Teller, the DVD is set to hit the UK February 7th.
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:
On 2011-01-09 22:38, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Can anyone really act surprised? All the exposure seemed fine yesterday. As I recall, they were touted by many here as being actually "good" for magic...

they are great for magic
pretty much all the participants that were part of that show got a ton of publicity that will end up giving them more gigs just like it happened with Kevin James and America´s got talent
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
And unlike AGT I think this show elevated the audience's respect for magic and that benefits us all.
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 17:11, Jim-Callahan wrote:
I am pleased that my opinion of these two is shared by so many.
(Was not the case several years ago).

Not saying they are not good at what they do.

But saying what they do is not good.

Jim

I am happy the public doesn't follow you on your thoughts as it is proven by so many Penn and Teller specials, docu-series, tv appearances, magazine articles, vegas theatre show and way more.

way to go Penn and Teller! another great show under your belt
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
It seems Callahan's claim to fame is the pursuit of others coatails. When it comes to the very short list of household magic names in the States, whose work is also admired in other english speaking countries - I don't think anyone represents us better than Penn & Teller. To me, for decades they have been the most important men in magic and unlike the couple other names on that short list, they aren't perceived as cheesy-goofy-nerd-poser wannabes like the you-know-whos.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

You can always tell a P&T lemming by their use of the word "cheesy"...
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 23:11, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
You can always tell a P&T lemming by their use of the word "cheesy"...

wow.. so angry.. I bet you are one of those cheesy magicians Smile
all the power to you.
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
Just call me Mr.Mistoffeces
Piqsirpoq
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
117 Posts

Profile of Piqsirpoq
Quote:
On 2011-01-09 15:54, EscapeMaster wrote:
I wonder why he chose the routines he did (slap aces and his super-saccharine new-deck-order trick) when IMHO he really might have fooled them with some of his other material.

Those tricks and that patter will get him bookings. He did two elegant effects flawlessly for over four million people.
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 13:35, Piqsirpoq wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-09 15:54, EscapeMaster wrote:
I wonder why he chose the routines he did (slap aces and his super-saccharine new-deck-order trick) when IMHO he really might have fooled them with some of his other material.

Those tricks and that patter will get him bookings. He did two elegant effects flawlessly for over four million people.

oh common.. Michael Vincent did it great!
his patter and the way he talks and projects.. it was fantastic
people applauded him even the annoying host was all over him..

the only one that did it bad was the guy with the trick deck.. I thought he was nervous and his routine was pretty much standard... that´s the only amateur in the competition
all the others were great..
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-10 23:45, cairo wrote:
Just call me Mr.Mistoffeces

Very classy... Well, makes sense as your comments seem to come from an arse...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL