The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
Fresh off his win on ITV’s presentation of Penn & Teller’s Fool Us, Benjamin Earl didn’t hold back his opinion on rival magic program, BBC’s The Magicians. The following four tweets have been compiled as one solid rant for your pleasure:

Just watched the 2nd puerile, glitter-dunce BBC magic show. If you haven’t seen it and are interested in finding out what it’s like then buy a pink suit and a thumb-tip then loudly interrupt primary school art classes while farting pop classics from 1992. Then get the most popular child in the class to help you bully the weakest one while the teacher (in drag) narrates your efforts. Congratulate yourself on a job well done as all the children reluctantly cheer (holding back tears) while parents observe and tut. End.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Here is an unpopular viewpoint from me...

It is not about the secret technique exposed or not... Those you can buy at any Magic Dealer, they'll sell to anybody.

But here's the real issue...

Why the need to "fool" anyone?

For years we've been trying to make it so that it is not about the "fooling" in Magic/Mentalism but the "feeling"...

Not the trick but the effect. ("Magic is not about dong tricks, it's about entertaining people" etc.)

So, because some lesser known Magician can't fool these Top Magicians, they aren't good enough?

Whatever happened to their entertainment value?

They lost it because they can't fool P&T?

What?

I'm sure most of us here cannot fool Jeff MacBride or Max Maven or David Copperfield...

So? You're not entertaining then? You're not good enough to go to Vegas?

Whatever happened to the entertainment value?

So now we're giving permission to every kid to go on youtube and belittle Magicians because they are not "fooled"? Well Penn & Teller did it...

Sure you can say to me, "They're Rich and Famous and have this Show! Where is your Show?"

"They're Rich and Famous and on TV! SO THAT MAKES IT RIGHT OK!"

Well that there is the problem. Smile

But hey... So long as we get on TV right?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Forgot to mention that Teller and Johnny Thompson talk a bit about Fool Us as well in my recent interview with them which you can find here: http://bit.ly/TTT201
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Go, Pakar!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
One thing about the Fool us special. 2 different performers did effects that Copperfield performed on national TV, and Penn & Teller act like they've never seen them before. as soon as I saw the duck/chicken thing, or the squeeze box I figured at least Penn would mention it.
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
What makes you think P&T are watching DC, my guess is they don't.
Alfster
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Alfster
The general feeling amongst the general public and friends is that this show was superb. They didn't go on about the 'exposure' as apart from the mentalist they were subtle enough to not give anything away and people do not remember that much anyway. Also, rather than moaning about P&T saying 'gaffed deck' maybe people should be moaning about the mentalist doing such a 'basic' trick. Not putting the trick down there but as people have said it is a staple of the normal professional magician. A more involved mentalist trick would have been better where P&T would have to be more subtle in their explanation.

The 'comedy magician' beating them was excellent. People have said Penn was annoyed that they would have a 'comedy magician' on their bill...possibly however one would hope that the magician could alter his delivery to the audience as the tricks should work if performed 'broad' or slightly more seriously. Let's hope he wows them over there.

What I did like having now seen the numerous videos of of the 'fish trick' at the start on Youtube is how P&T have double-bluffed every one and they will have known it would get on the net as every clip finishes in exactly the same place...giving the idea of how the trick was done when in fact the pay off was very different.

So overall, all this 'exposure' has done more for making people excited about magic in the UK than anything else that has been on TV for many a year.
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
Well, since Penn & Teller where on one of Copperfield's special's and they used to be friends with David, I'd figured they'd seen him perform a little. besides, how many magicians in this country haven't seen Copperfield's shows?
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
I don't understand the problem here. If you're a magician, and you don't want your effects exposed...THEN DON'T GO ON THE SHOW. Do you really think they didn't know that P&T were going to try to expose them on national television? Do you think a broadcast network with lawyers would not have made that abundantly clear before they signed a contract to participate? This isn't the Masked Magician, people. Each performer signed a contract basically double dog daring P&T to do exactly what they did. And if P&T succeeded, well guess who's fault that is? No one force them to participate. I don't think anyone was exactly "victimized" against their will here.
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
As far as TV goes, this is one of the better magic presentations. Not the same old thing. Unique, interesting,and compelling to the general public. I give credit to The Magicians show for trying, but to me that program is an embarassment.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
To everyone who supports the Show...

All I have to say is this...

So long as Magic gets on TV right?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
If you don't want your **** exposed then don't go on a show that's about exposing ****. Everybody who participated knew exactly what they signed up for so they'll get no sympathy from me.
If any wrong was done then everyone on the show is complicit. everyone.

Maybe if some of you all take the time you spend judging others and put it into your acts then someday you can be as successful as P&T.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Aside from some very vague references, the show didn't expose anything...no non-magician out there is going to know how that stuff was done.
Had Penn and Teller stuck their tongues out and said "na na na, we know how you did it" then that would be one thing, but they didn't. They were highly respectful of the performers and their routines.

This "so long as magic gets on TV" mentally doesn't hold up in my opinion. I don't think the Masked Magician was good for the art. I think that "Fool Us," because of the caliber of the performances and the respect that P&T showed for each act, was good for the art of magic.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
My problem with The Masked Magician wasn't exposure, it was his genuinely awful performances.
~Will Rogers
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Like them or not, my feeling is that throughout the decades Penn & Teller have done as much or more than anyone to promote magic and represent magic as an art form whether on tv, film, or stage. As far as I'm concerned, Fool Us is no exception, a job well done.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I think they should have put him in a Scream mask - more fitting, seeing as how he was murdering those routines.

There's plenty of terrible magic on TV. Remember Marti Brill, the kid in the blue suit on America's Got Talent a few seasons back? I'm sure at least one person saw that performance and decided against booking a magician for fear of a Marti clone ruining their event.
Magic on AGT is often made fun of (this past season had a few rare exceptions.) Even during magic week on Letterman, he couldn't keep from making fun of it. Quotes like "the one guy who likes magic is in the balcony" were standard every night.
This show had experienced performers (love them or hate them, they're experienced in their field) praising every act. These guys know what they're talking about, unlike Piers Morgan or David Hasselhoff who have no knowledge of magic other than whatever lines the producers have fed them, yet they're somehow qualified to critique the performance.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Thought the premise was to have ANYONE fool us, and even on the show it said about even someone in the audience could fool them, but no, it was people who I had mostly seen before or had not seen (for clear reasons once they performed)

I thought the effects were a little lacking, either seen them before or can come up with a very similar effect

I felt really cheated about the way the winners were chosen too, particularly the second winner, they said no, then jonathan ross just said no actually he wins.

I have been lucky enough to receive some effects from people here on the Café that had more thought and could fool someone more than something out of a well known book (or shop)

when I saw the Copperfield shrinking trick I thought to myself that P&T have probably been offered or have a model of some sort in their studio

I know a lot of it is down to the fact that it is television and it is business

although it is good to have magic on tv, I feel that this wasn't as good a representation as the real talent we have here in the UK
It seems like public opinion of modern magic needs to catch up to what is really happening, not everything needs to fit in to a show with judges format,
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Adam has some valid points, but the bottom line is that it is tv, and tv always seems to need a gimmick to get viewers. Nowadays, probably thanks to Simon Cowell, the contest is a popular gimmick. One of my all-time favorite UK tv series was the Unpleasant World of Penn & Teller. The only gimmick was great magic and great comedy. Anyone ever see that?
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Yeah I used to watch that, still watch what I can find online sometimes.

Much better stuff, it was their own show rather than try to fit in to a popular format
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
My favorite thing they ever did for television was the "Magic & Mystery Tour."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL