The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I just can't bring myself to watch this show. I do wonder, however, have they had any "cheesy magicians" on?

For that matter, is being a cheesy magician bad? Always??

Would Mac King be considered a cheesy magician?

Just pondering...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Mac King was featured on the Penn & Teller tv series "Sin City" where he did his goldfish routine. Todd Robbins, the guy from "Play Dead" was also on that doing his funny light bulb eating bit. Sin City was a very cool show broadcast in the States on the FX channel. It was an hour program that featured four or five variety acts on every episode. I never saw the Unpleasant World of Penn & Teller, but I would like to check that out. Anyone know how I can see it?
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I forgot to mention my favorite TV thing they ever did, at least that I saw, which was "Invisible Thread" that was on many years ago on Showtime, I think.
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
My ALL TIME favorite P&T was the NBC special "Don't Try This at Home" that had the 18 wheeler truck run over Teller. Unbelieveably awesome for it's time and even now.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Several of their specials are available on Netflix. Nowhere near all of them, but a few.
Magic & Mystery Tour is available for instant.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I've seen that one, what I really want to see is The Unpleasant World of Penn & Teller. I heard John Cleese is on that one. Everyone says this is one of their best series but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Maybe Olympic Adam or Mr. Mystoffelees can help?
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

I've watched a lot of their stuff, but not that one...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Some of Unpleasant World is on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VJ0oXZago0
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
729 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Thank you Critter. The first one I watched had their classic Card Stab. Great! Interesting that the Card Stab presentation was on he theme of exposure. Not unlike the idea behind "Fool Us" Even though Penn mentions words like "false shuffle" in the end the audience is still sorprised, amused and amazed. I think that sort of presentation makes the audience feel that P&T are on their side, and is just presentation not an exposure that reveals anything. Thanks again Critter, I going to get back to watch more of those episodes.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1237 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Just saw the post above sorry, as stated there there is some on youtube, you can definitely get the John Cleese clip on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58xyjOFkpxk

if you haven't seen it from a link above somewhere, is the stand alone section with John Cleese in it
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Thank you Olympic Adam!!! That was not only hilarious, but real magic. Does anyone know if this show was ever on in the USA. If so I can't remember ever seeing or hearing about it. I do remember seeing them do a version of that on SNL, but that John Cleese one is the best!!!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

I agree, their creativity and feel for magic comedy is superb!

Jim
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Does anyone know if the Unpleasant World of Penn & Teller series is available on DVD? If so, where?
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
I'm in the USA and never heard of the "Unpleasant..." series, just saw the clips. Love it. I'm with Noble1, anyone from the UK know where one can we get all the shows?
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
The "Best of..." VHS was released way back, I don't think the entire series has ever been released. We had "The Unpleasant Book of Penn & Teller" published over here too, but that was just a rebinding of your "Penn & Teller's How to Play With Your Food".
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
Quote:
On 2011-02-09 08:34, mumford wrote:
I do remember seeing them do a version of that on SNL, but that John Cleese one is the best!!!

Where did I read Teller's account of how the gimmick was failing on SNL and he really thought he could be in trouble? Maybe the program from the Rio? Was a great story.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Question for Erwin: The UK "Best of..." VHS you mentioned, was it PAL format? Even if it is, know where I could get one? You mention "Play with Your Food" was there also a UK version of "Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends" or "How to Play in Traffic" I never realized Penn & Teller appear outside the US and have collectables from elsewhere.
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
Quote:
On 2011-02-14 11:43, msmaster wrote:
Question for Erwin: The UK "Best of..." VHS you mentioned, was it PAL format?

Yeh
Quote:
Even if it is, know where I could get one?

I found mine on ebay.co.uk
Quote:
You mention "Play with Your Food" was there also a UK version of "Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends" or "How to Play in Traffic" I never realized Penn & Teller appear outside the US and have collectables from elsewhere.

I don't believe so, "Play With Your Food" was rebound as "The Unpleasant Book of..." to support the Channel 4 series. They never returned to UK terrestrial television until "Fool Us". We've had the "Magic & Mystery Tour" and "P&T:BS!" on satellite broadcast, but I don't believe their specials were ever broadcast in the UK. I sourced "Off the Deep End" from the US.
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
I'm looking for a UK show called "Phobophilia" as well as "Invisible Thread" from the USA Showtime channel, and NBC "Don't Try This at Home" most of these are very old. Can anyone help?
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
I knew I had another P&T VHS: Phobophilia. Again, ebay.co.uk. It's the least entertaining thing they've done imo. It didn't help that I don't know who the guest stars are... some dreadful sketches too. It says on the sleeve it was a UK production for Channel 4 but it's a US studio audience and guests.

While in the VHS cupboard I discovered I have been giving misinfo here: the compilation tape of the Channel 4 series is called "The Most Unpleasant World of Penn and Teller".

I was sure I had a copy of "Get Killed" as well, but it appears to be hiding...

My secret for finding anything is stick it in your ebay watch list then forget about it; it's just not a technique for the impatient. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL