The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Need good spelling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1074 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Hi,

Can someone write the following in good english please :

"Hand Acquitment (?)"

I don't even know if the word is correct to describe a secret transfer from one hand to the other...

Thank you !
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Hi Lawrens,
I've always understood acquitment to mean showing one or both hands empty in this context (ie the hands are 'not guilty' of hiding a coin because there is shown to be no evidence of such, therefore they are acquitted. The same as a defendant in a court of law that is acquitted because of lack of evidence to show guilt). On the other hand it is a broad term and I've never seen a set definition as applied to coin magic.

Kind regards
Sean

Ps. Your spelling is good Smile
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Lawrens,

Do you have the complete sentense, so we can help you better ?

Thanks,

Oliver.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27134 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
IMHO it's as if someone once expected an audience to confuse a strained, contrived and ill-timed procedure with a display of innocent hands.

Magic literature in English seems to foist the word acquitment where the slightly longer expression secret transfer suffices.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I think there's an important difference between an acquitment and a secret transfer, though.

In order to make the point that the hands are empty, the performer must call some attention to his hands, and the issue of whether they are empty or not. However, one would rather a secret transfer went unnoticed. The confusion arises because often both occur in the same move.

However, there are acquitments in which the coin(s) does(do) not change hands, so there's no "transfer". One is Bob Kohler's, as described in Bannon's "Impossibilia" and another, I would argue, is the Spider Vanish.

To my way of thinking, David Roth's shuttle pass is a switch and an acquitment that looks like an open transfer, but in fact, nothing is transfered. A "secret transfer" would be something like a "changeover palm" as used by Downs, or more recently, Sawa (see Slot Machine) and Bertram (see the last sequence in "Passing the half Bucks" in Stars of Magic), and, I suppose we must include Ross Bertram's technique in "Bertam's Best".

Lawrens, in my opinion, if all you are doing is secretly transferring a coin from one hand to the other, it's a "secret transfer" or "changeover". If you don't really need the coin in the other hand, but it goes there because that allows you to show your hands empty, then it's an "acquitment". It's useful to use the term that tells the reader what he's trying to accomplish at that moment. As I said, often a move will accomplish both tasks, and stating the main idea helps keep the reader focused.

Is there a book in the works?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
The current and future coin magic fraternity needs a fresh new treatise on 21st century principles, theory and practise of coin conjuring!
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1074 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Thanks Curtis for your accurate answer, much appreciated.
In fact, I would need a french counterpart to "hand acquitment"...
I didn't find a satisfactory one yet.
(plus the fact that dictionaries give me "acquittement" as Seangiles suggested, or "acquittal"...)

You wrote :
"If you don't really need the coin in the other hand, but it goes there because that allows you to show your hands empty, then it's an "acquitment."

I'm often in this case where I execute some "choreographied sequences". To me it's more of a ballet of the hands, and sometimes a coin suddenly appears lol !
For maximum impact it is true that I use some particular sleights such as the back thumb palm, Harada hold or muscle pass to accomplish this.

I would love to write a book on coin magic...
At least I have wrote down to description some of my coin magic, so why not publish someday ?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4074 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I always felt that a changeover palm was the open transfer of a coin or coins from one hand to the other, while at the same time secretly transfering a coin or coins back into the first hand. An aquitment was any action that showed the hands to be empty. I was never comfortable with the term aquitment, as it seemed there was always another term to describe the action.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Need good spelling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL