The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dingle's Slow Motion Coin Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
I just picked up a copy of the Complete Works of Derek Dingle at a thrift store for $10. After a brief preliminary flip, the slow motion coin vanish has caught my eye. It seems simple enough, but the initial vanish of the coin keeps looking awkward to me. It seems really obvious that I'm just sticking the coin into b*** t**** palm. As such, I was wondering if there was a video reference, DVD, or performance of this anywhere?
keerin
View Profile
New user
Arbroath
7 Posts

Profile of keerin
I'm sorry if this isn't 100% helpful but I'm sure Michael Vincent's coins across on "Rhapsodies in Silver" DVD references Dingle's slow motion coin vanish. So if I remember correctly, he adapts it for his own use. Maybe useful?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Dingle's vanish is beautiful when done well I remember. He actually has another wonderful vanish tossing the coin back and forth from one hand to the another...The coin vanishes right in front of you. Smile It is something to see and I believe it was Dingle's if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, it left a real impression on me still to this day. It was one of the most astonishing vanishes I had ever seen. Justin Miller does it beautifully. Smile

Hey but Mav more importantly, I'm proud of you... Smile You are all over the place with these effects, checking into this, trying out that, even reviewing things now Smile ... Good job! I can remember my inquisitiveness about magic being just like that. I couldn't stop thinking about it, checking into things, everything. Smile That's how you learn and try and eventually come to be. Smile Keep checking out these things for all the many bits & pieces of this & that. It all becomes part of the whole. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Mavericklancer:

Wow, you got a real treasure, for $10. You purchased a gold mine! Derek Dingle set a standard that will stand strong for ages. I would highly recommend thoroughly studying his Complete Works book.

Regarding his slow motion vanish try this; practice it to get it as smooth and flowing as you possibly can, then video yourself doing it. When you play it back and watch it you’ll fool yourself I guarantee it.

All the best,
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
I remember I've studied this routine years ago, but today I forgot it and I don't own the book anymore...
Sigh...
Now I want to perform this classic again !
keerin
View Profile
New user
Arbroath
7 Posts

Profile of keerin
Yeah, just noticed that you picked up Complete Works of Derek Dingle for $10... I'm ordering it this month for £35!
alibaba
View Profile
Loyal user
Hawaii
280 Posts

Profile of alibaba
What a coincidence; I've been working on this one for the past month or so. I performed it for some family members at various times in my learning of it and discovered I was hesitating for a beat after each move and that, according to my son, looked suspicious. I have now picked up the pace, doing it briskly and breezily and as smooth as possible, each move flowing into the next and it's looking much better.

Did you say $10? Now THAT's amazing.
I'm as real as you think I am
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-09 08:39, keerin wrote:
I'm sorry if this isn't 100% helpful but I'm sure Michael Vincent's coins across on "Rhapsodies in Silver" DVD references Dingle's slow motion coin vanish. So if I remember correctly, he adapts it for his own use. Maybe useful?

Ah, thanks. I own that dvd set, so I'll have to rewatch it and see. Do you remember which volume it was?

Quote:
Hey but Mav more importantly, I'm proud of you... You are all over the place with these effects, checking into this, trying out that, even reviewing things now ... Good job! I can remember my inquisitiveness about magic being just like that. I couldn't stop thinking about it, checking into things, everything. That's how you learn and try and eventually come to be. Keep checking out these things for all the many bits & pieces of this & that. It all becomes part of the whole.

Thanks, MB. That means a lot coming from a magician of your caliber. I'm at that exact point where I've realized just how versatile and unique coin magic is, and I just want to learn everything I can about it. I'm really trying to find my own style, and I find that this is the best and honestly most fun way to do it =).
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Nevermind - Just found it on his Rhapsody on disc 4. Thanks!

Unfortunately, he uses it as a production, so I don't get to see how the vanish part is done, but his performance of the production part really helped to correct the pacing issues I was having.

People were right - I just practiced this in the mirror and I couldn't help but chuckle as I fooled myself.
keerin
View Profile
New user
Arbroath
7 Posts

Profile of keerin
Glad I could help in some way! I knew he mentioned it but couldn't remember how he worked it in. Ah well. Glad you got it sorted in the end bud Smile
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
If I recall it correctly, Geoff Latta did a similar slow motion vanish. It is on one of the NYCMS volumes. Of course, with so many to browse through it might take a bit to find it.
The real magic is family!
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Thanks, John. Jonathan Townsend also referred me to Latta's vanish. I'm trying to find which one right now.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Latta's slow motion coin vanish actually takes from Dingle's trick, as well as several other magicians (Dingle, Klause, etc). It is a hybrid, that has the best of all. It can be found as an Easter egg on vol 2, 3, or 4. Hint - look at the titles in the bonus sections, and you will find it!
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2011-01-09 09:19, Mb217 wrote:
Dingle's vanish is beuatiful when done well I remember. He actually has another wonderful vanish tossing the coin back and forth from one hand to the another...The coin vanishes right in front of you. Smile It is something to see and I believe it was Dingle's if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, it left a real impression on me still to this day. It was one of the most astonishing vanishes I had ever seen. Justin Miller does it beautifully. Smile

Mav, more specifically I meant to refer to this as Dingle's Bounce Change. Remarkable move that is actually spoken about mostly as a brilliant change but the action is easily adapted into an amazing vanish by him as well I seem to remember. Believe me, both are stunning and I sorta remember Justin Miller doing a variation on it that involves sound and demonstrates/explains all 3 I think. All I can tell you is that it's a beautiful thing to see LIVE...The coin is just gone, right in front of you. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
Leipzig's "Slow Motion Coin Vanish" is described in Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig page 115.
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Darn. I was hoping it would be on one of the NYCMS I have. Looks like I'll be saving up for an early birthday present.

Quote:
Mav, more specifically I meant to refer to this as Dingle's Bounce Change. Remarkable move that is actually spoken about mostly as a brilliant change but the action is easily adapted into an amazing vanish by him as well I seem to remember. Believe me, both are stunning and I sorta remember Justin Miller doing a variation on it that involves sound and demonstrates/explains all 3 I think. All I can tell you is that it's a beautiful thing to see LIVE...The coin is just gone, right in front of you.

Per your numerous recommendations, I actually got a copy of Silver Dream. I just got it in the mail yesterday, and I'm quite excited to check out these vanishes you've mentioned. I don't really use sleeving very much, but I'm sure I'll be able to adapt it for my uses.
dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
122 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
Check out Jamy Ian Swiss's one coin routine here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsm6o20SLps
I believe he's doing the Latta coin vanish towards the end. Which does look like the Dingle vanish.

Dave
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Love Jamy Ian Swiss, another one of those fine NYC magicians that I remember that just bowled me over with their work. Three (3) off the top of my head that I remember were Swiss, Eric DeCamps and Earl "Presto" Johnson. All different sorts of performers but all great SOH magicians. Smile NYC was a great, great meeting place for magic, all sorts of magic from the streets to the stage. Smile

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-01-15 21:47, dgiancaspro wrote:...I believe he's doing the Latta coin vanish towards the end. ...

He's doing something close. Geoff had a different way of starting the vanish using a sleight to take the coin into NP for a more direct handling.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dingle's Slow Motion Coin Vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL