The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Instant Strait Jacket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
I am working on building a fake strait jacket which you can put on quickly at the end of an effect. So far, its not meant for showing surrounded, only from the front. I'd like to know if anyone has a source for a plastic tube, similiar to the giant straw, but bigger around to put your body into.

Any help will...help.

Thanks

Felixjr
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Think in terms of the principles of a quick-change costume.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
Agreed, but I have no experience with this.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Seems ultra-simple to me.

Imagine a straitjacket all buckled up with lightly stuffed arms. The arms should be permanently (and secretly) sewn into the position they'd be in if you were encased in the jacket. Now cut away most of the back half and sew in semi-rigid vertical support bars that run from top to bottom along the extreme side edges of the remaining jacket. These bars should be pre-curved such that you can stand with your arms crossed in front of you and then someone else can wrap the jacket around you and hold the support bars from behind - making it look [from the front] as if you were securely strapped into the jacket.

If you're able to picture the idea from that description then the only other thing you have to grasp (literally) is the side bars in your own hands (no helper), so that when your arms are crossed the jacket is wrapped around the front side of your torso exactly as if you were inside it. In other words, you cross your hands - grabbing the left edge in your right hand and the right edge in your left hand - and then assume the straitjacket position (arms crossed), and the illusion (from the front) should be that you're bound tightly by the restraint.

Easy Peasy.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
1. Buy a real SJ at least 1 size too large;
2a. Pad out the arms with old tee shirts, so that they look the same as if they had arms inside;
2b. Cross the filled SJ arms and fix them to the sides of the jacket itself. The goal here is to make the jacket look like it's got a human inside in a restrained fashion;
3. Remove the back straps;
4a. Put the jacket on now, with your thumbs hooked into the top of your jeans and the jacket resting on your shoulders: At the rear of the jacket, at the very top, figure out the correct size for a single crossing strap. I would recommend something like 1" elastic strap material, possibly double-layered;
4b. Sew this back strap on.
5. Remove any other unnecessary parts to the jacket.
6. Possibly add a hand-hold or two inside the jacket so that you can hold it closer in to your torso.

What you have now is a quick change SJ that can be slipped over your head and from the front it will look legit. Everything's fine so long as the audience never catches a glimpse of the back.

####

Edit: Thomas and I just cross-posted. Great minds, and all that...
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 02:15, Chance wrote:
[...] Thomas and I just cross-posted. Great minds, and all that...

Yes, but what I enjoy most is the gushing response of gratitude the original poster typically exhibits when a couple of experienced guys completely solve his problem with just a few responses. Really does one's heart good to witness his sincere appreciation for being handed a great solution on a silver platter.

Of course, the motto around these parts is "Magicians helping magicians"... not "Magicians expressing thankfulness for the help they've received" - lol

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
It's our own faults for either being too bored, too narcisistic, or both! LOL
Circus Bambouk
View Profile
Loyal user
Tempe, AZ
256 Posts

Profile of Circus Bambouk
I thank you both on his behalf.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I had a gag written, that I never did... You do a straight jacket escape, and as you walk offstage holding jacket dangling in one hand, as you return to stage for bows you are back in the jacket.

When my Dad toured with Olsen and Johnson in vaudeville, they had a gag where a guy kept trying to get out of a straight jacket, in a cabinet off to the side. They kept opening the curtain and the guy was still in it struggling.

When the show was over the guy was in the lobby rolling around on the floor still in the straight jacket.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
Mr Thomas Wayne and Mr Chance,
Sincerely I am amazed at your ability to breakdown my exact thought and show me a much easier way. I am gushing. My apologies for not responding sooner.
Thank you and I will be glad to post a future response we I build the thing. I'm sure I can pick a SJ on Ebay?

Thank you again!
Jimr
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Instant Strait Jacket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL