The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The press and the Gifford shooting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20..25..29..33..37..40~41~42 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 22:03, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 20:28, acesover wrote:
Anyway I live in the US and do not have a criminal record so I can have my guns, have a concealed carry permit and be called a gun nut by some. While it upsets some it makes me happy. And I would rather be happy than sad.

There are some laws I do not like but I have to live by them if I choose to live in the US. And I choose to live here. If I do not like said laws I see two other options. Break them and suffer the consquences or leave and find some other place that I think is better. I do not think there is a better place to live than the US. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

And there are some laws that, even if you did find somewhere else to live, you would still be help to them.

gdw,

Not understanding your post. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Even if you move elsewhere, america claims you still owe them taxes, you know, for all those services, like police, and roads that your using while not even living in the country.

I believe canada does the same.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-01-23 13:06, gdw wrote:
Even if you move elsewhere, america claims you still owe them taxes, you know, for all those services, like police, and roads that your using while not even living in the country.

Yes, you generally will owe taxes on the income you earned in the country. Even if you don't live there (except perhaps in special cases).

Even if you are living elsewhere but still holding onto your American (or Canadian) citizenship, you are deriving benefits from that. Like the passport, the protection it and your country's foreign embassies give you, that sort of thing.

If you don't want this, then renounce your citizenship and stop doing business in the country.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-01-23 13:15, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-23 13:06, gdw wrote:

Yes, you generally will owe taxes on the income you earned in the country. Even if you don't live there (except perhaps in special cases).

Even if you are living elsewhere but still holding onto your American (or Canadian) citizenship, you are deriving benefits from that. Like the passport, the protection it and your country's foreign embassies give you, that sort of thing.

If you don't want this, then renounce your citizenship and stop doing business in the country.

Balducci, I believe they demand taxes on income earned abroad, meaning not from business in the usa, but I could be mistaken.
Oh, and as for renouncing citizenship, you have to pay for permission to do that too. And even then they will likely still try to get taxes for, I believe somewhere between 4-10 years after that.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
As far as I know, only 2 countries in the world tax their citizens for earned income earned abroad and paid abroad in a foreign currency: the United States and the Philippines. And the Philippines only does it because they began their tax code by copying the United States.

Woland
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-01-23 16:38, Woland wrote:
As far as I know, only 2 countries in the world tax their citizens for earned income earned abroad and paid abroad in a foreign currency: the United States and the Philippines.

I don't know about the Philippines, but the U.S. at least has tax treaties with some countries in place. "[T]he United States allows a foreign tax credit by which income taxes paid to foreign countries can be offset against U.S. income tax liability attributable to foreign income." I have several friends who are U.S. citizens, who live and work in Canada, and have never had to pay U.S. tax due to our tax treaty.

http://www.fin.gc.ca/n07/data/07-070_1-eng.asp

Whenever a resident of one country earns income in another country - whether by carrying on business, making an investment or being employed there - there is potential for double taxation. This is because both the person's country of residence and the country where the income is earned can legitimately assert rights to tax the same income.

To prevent this double taxation, countries sign bilateral tax treaties (also known as tax conventions or double taxation agreements (DTAs)). These agreements, which become legally binding once ratified, set out which country gets to tax particular forms of income in a variety of specific situations.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well, balducci, that's correct, but most countries don't tax at all their citizens' earned income that is earned abroad in foreign currencies.

Woland
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Good thing those guys didn't capture Canada...would have been embarrassing when the UK refused to trade Ireland for 'em.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-01-23 18:57, Woland wrote:

Well, balducci, that's correct, but most countries don't tax at all their citizens' earned income that is earned abroad in foreign currencies.

Well, Woland, from just a few minutes on the web searching it seems as though a host of countries do this, so I think it is not at all as rare as you think. Anyway, this tax stuff is way off topic.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I am specifically referring to earned income, earned abroad, paid in a foreign currency, in a foreign country, to a resident of that country.

Woland
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Here's an absurd story from the Great White North:

Quote:
Ian Thomson moved to a rural homestead in Southwestern Ontario to lead a quiet life investing in a little fixer-upper. Then his neighbour’s chickens began showing up on his property. He warned his neighbour, then killed one of the birds.

The incident began six years of trouble for Mr. Thomson that culminated early one Sunday morning last August when the 53-year-old former mobile-crane operator woke up to the sound of three masked men firebombing his Port Colborne, Ont., home.

“I was horrified,” he said. “I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t know what was happening. I had no idea what was going on.”

So Mr. Thomson, a former firearms instructor, grabbed one of his Smith & Wesson revolvers from his safe, loaded it and headed outside dressed in only his underwear.

“He exited his house and fired his revolver two, maybe three times, we’re not sure. Then these firebombing culprits, they ran off,” said his lawyer, Edward Burlew.

His surveillance cameras caught the attackers lobbing at least six Molotov cocktails at his house and bombing his doghouse, singeing one of his Siberian Huskies. But when Mr. Thomson handed the video footage to Niagara Regional Police, he found himself charged with careless use of a firearm.

The local Crown attorney’s office later laid a charge of pointing a firearm, along with two counts of careless storage of a firearm. The Crown has recommended Mr. Thomson go to jail, his lawyer said.

His collection of seven guns, five pistols and two rifles was seized, along with his firearms licence. Mr. Thomson said he lives in fear that his attackers will return and has taken to arming himself with a fire extinguisher.

“I don’t have enemies,” said the soft-spoken man, who now studies environmental geosciences full-time at Brock University after being injured in a workplace accident. “I don’t know that many people. I’m a quiet man. I just want to go back to my life and be able to live out my days in relative peace.”

Mr. Thomson’s is the latest in a series of high-profile cases in which people have been charged after defending their homes and businesses against criminals. Central Alberta farmer Brian Knight became a local hero after shooting a thief who was trying to steal his ATV. He pleaded guilty to criminal negligence earlier this month. In October, Toronto shopkeeper David Chen was acquitted of forcible confinement charges after he tied up a repeat shoplifter and demanded he stop raiding his grocery store.

No word if the police bothered to investigate or charge the men who were throwing Molotov cocktails at his house!

To offer a comment inspired by Ed Harris's new film, "The Way Back," it looks like Canada is going the way of the Soviet Union, in which common criminals were considered victims of bourgeois society and given a higher status than the political prisoners deemed "enemies of the people."

Woland
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 07:53, Woland wrote:

No word if the police bothered to investigate or charge the men who were throwing Molotov cocktails at his house!

Woland, it says in the very same article you posted that they were charged:

"They charged Randy Weaver, 48, of Port Colborne, and Justin Lee, 19, of Welland, with arson in December, alleging the men and a third suspect “intentionally set the home on fire while the homeowner was inside.”"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, balducci, that's good to know! My faith in Sergeant Preston is restored!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 09:50, Woland wrote:
Thanks, balducci, that's good to know! My faith in Sergeant Preston is restored!

My pleasure. Sorry I had to dismantle your thesis about Canada "going the way of the Soviet Union, in which common criminals were considered victims of bourgeois society and given a higher status than the political prisoners deemed 'enemies of the people.'" Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 10:41, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 09:50, Woland wrote:

My pleasure. Sorry I had to dismantle your thesis about Canada "going the way of the Soviet Union, in which common criminals were considered victims of bourgeois society and given a higher status than the political prisoners deemed 'enemies of the people.'" Smile

Geez Balducci, you're ruining our reputation.

Don't listent to him.

Viva la revolution!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
They do hate competition.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They were charged w/ attempting to violate global warming laws by starting a fire where smoke could contain toxins and a biomass (the dude).
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 16:00, MagicSanta wrote:
They were charged w/ attempting to violate global warming laws by starting a fire where smoke could contain toxins and a biomass (the dude).

Is this sarcasm? Really, I wouldn't be that surprised if there was some truth to this.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I can see it happening in California as well.

When my wife dies she is considered a hazard and they have to remove her defibulator before tossing her to the gators (that's how I'm sending her to her reward...gators).
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
To stir things up a bit and get back on track--

Now that the right has conclusively agreed that Loughner is just a crazy mentally ill person, not influenced by any external violent discourse whatsoever, will they support the insanity defense for him? It will be interesting for me to find out, since most conservatives I know have in the past been against that kind of defense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The press and the Gifford shooting (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20..25..29..33..37..40~41~42 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL