The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The press and the Gifford shooting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31..40~41~42 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
John, the post he quoted said that companies do not only pay minimum wage, or use the cheapest materials they can get away with.
He said this proves the need for regulations.

Honestly, I'm not sure what he is really intending to say.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Perhaps you missed his "So, yay for lead poisoning. Yeah, the market will regulate itself alright... right into indentured servitude."
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-01-29 17:23, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Perhaps you missed his "So, yay for lead poisoning. Yeah, the market will regulate itself alright... right into indentured servitude."

No, I did not miss it, but what did it have to do with what I said? You know, where I apparently made the point for him.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Perhaps you should read carefully (and charitably). His point is pretty clear to me: unregulated workplaces lead to low wages, low quality product, market flooding and health concerns.

But you could have figured that out on your own, I am sure.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Everything out of China must be tested for lead it is so common.

As for unions. Worse pay, worse benefits, and worse treatment I ever received at a job was a union 'protected' (riiiiight) job. I would not join an union again and am a state where one does not have to join.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-01-29 10:41, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-29 09:12, gdw wrote:
Also, if all companies kept to paying as little as possible, then no one would make more than minimum wage, and every product would be the cheapest materials.

Thank you! Thank you for a perfect example of why the market shouldn't be deregulated. China.
China produces shoddy merchandise for low wages but because the pay is so low the merchandise can be sold cheaper and now all anyone can afford is **** that's made in China. So, yay for lead poisoning.
Yeah, the market will regulate itself alright... right into indentured servitude.

I thought it was pretty self explanatory. You referred to cheapest labor and materials. We have an example of a place where they do use the cheapest labor and materials. Not much of a stretch there.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
China must be regulated or they would build toys out of arsnic and lead if it was cheaper and the managers brother sold arsnic.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I say that companies are NOT all "taking advantage" of their employees by paying minimum wage.

You say that this proves we need minimum wage laws.

How am I the only one who sees a disconnect between those statements?

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Santa,

You are just being silly - they would not put all the poisons into toys - they'd have nothing left for milk.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-01-29 18:01, MagicSanta wrote:
China must be regulated or they would build toys out of arsnic and lead if it was cheaper and the managers brother sold arsnic.

Yet that is exactly the type of doomsday thing people claim will happen if there weren't regulations.
Toys made of arsenic, and doctors operating with rusty drills bought at home hardware.

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Gdw,

Have you noticed how difficult it's been to get rich and how many troublesome kids there are since evil interfering governments disallowed sending 12 year olds into underground coal mines for starvation wages, with the only safety cost being seed for the canary?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Gdw,

http://allafrica.com/stories/201001280833.html

What they wouldn't give for a rusty drill bit in Somalia.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
GDW, one year the port director of the region controlled by the San Francisco (US Customs) Paul Andrews ordered the destruction of ALL toys imported by China due to the toxins used in the plastics and paints. W/ you the lovely children would have received them as gifts.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Destiny, don't consider the bad, thing of the joy in a persons heart as they prepare to die when they gasp "At least....I tasted....anarchy!"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Government told them to paint them with lead to cull the herd a bit.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-01-29 18:06, gdw wrote:
I say that companies are NOT all "taking advantage" of their employees by paying minimum wage.

You say that this proves we need minimum wage laws.

How am I the only one who sees a disconnect between those statements?

No, I did not say that your statement proved it. And also, the minimum wage is not the only regulation I was talking about. I said that your statement provided the perfect scenario to connect to a real life example. The fact that the less workers are paid and the more corners are cut on materials the worse crap we get is proof that there must be a minimum standard. Or did you mean for your private Blackwater security guards to keep people safe from dangerously defective products?
Good luck with that.
~Will Rogers
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-01-29 18:20, Destiny wrote:
Gdw,

http://allafrica.com/stories/201001280833.html

What they wouldn't give for a rusty drill bit in Somalia.

Destiny, health care improved quite a bit compared to pre '91. A doctors visit cost 50 cents.
Comparing wages, that is approx equivalent to $30 US. About half a days wages at minimum wage.

As for the tainted products, that seems to stem from their corrupt regulatory system, which the government is actively censoring from news and media, which would certainly go to preventing any market signals. Kind of hard for the public, being the ones that largely send such signals, to do so with the government actively keeping them uninformed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Chines......Sanction

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Wikipedia? Really? What scholarly research you've chosen to support your statements.

However, your link just provides more fuel for the case for effective regulation. The dude was executed by the government for a percieved failure to regulate the companies.
If the article is to be believed, he failed because he didn't regulate enough. Get it?
~Will Rogers
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Fortunately the good people of Somalia can afford dirt cheap mobile phones and better hospital care now as a result of the ransoms collected from pirated ships and kidnapped seafarers.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yep I bet they are all running around now on their new peg legs with the latest fashion eye patch's and hooks.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The press and the Gifford shooting (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31..40~41~42 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL