We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The press and the Gifford shooting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..29~30~31~32~33..40~41~42 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 23:41, Destiny wrote:
Gdw,

I may have exaggerated for effect but I personally can't see how else your proposed Utopia would function, and please don't tell me I should read your links - if a system is so complex you can't explain the basics to me in a couple of paragraphs, I cannot take your support of the system seriously and have to suspect you are just throwing out a line hoping for a nibble.
. . .

Just curious, would you be able to explain the basic principles of your political views in a few sentences? I know you were referring to describing how a "system" would work, granted, I highly doubt you could describe how everything does work under any current system in as few words, but I thought this would be another thing to look at.

So, care do describe your political views?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Gdw don't take this the wrong way. But are you related to Jared Loughner? Because it is obvious by many of your posts that both of you are crazy and I was just wondering. A simple yes or no is sufficent without any elaboration. Just be truthful. Yes or No. You can tell us we are your friends.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
No.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Are you face book pals?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Never heard of him before the shooting. But, yeah, I can see how posting a link condemning the nut, and saying he is responsible for what he did would make people think I'm related to, or friends with him.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 19:37, gdw wrote:
http://revision3.com/pennpoint/tucsonshooting2

Wow that was really even more boring than I expected. I stuck with it because I have respect for Penn as a magician, but that was pretty worthless. And what's the deal with the constant camera switching? Is this a typical episode of this commentary? And it really has nothing to so with his views, it was just a rambling mess.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Trying to take the hot spot light off ya huh? Admit it GDW...the photos foud of Jared in a thong...they were heading for you weren't they?
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 21:37, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 19:37, gdw wrote:
http://revision3.com/pennpoint/tucsonshooting2

Wow that was really even more boring than I expected. I stuck with it because I have respect for Penn as a magician, but that was pretty worthless. And what's the deal with the constant camera switching? Is this a typical episode of this commentary? And it really has nothing to so with his views, it was just a rambling mess.

It actually had a good bit to do with his views. It was a bit of rambling on, but they aren't exactly meant to be scripted. The guy kinda wears his heart on his sleeve.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
No, I meant my criticism had nothing to do with his views. He complains that he's not going to mention Loughner's name because it's the 9 year old girl's name that should be remembered--and then he doesn't give her name! Really, I expected a little more analysis, no matter what his position was.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Gdw,

I believe government 'of the people, by the people, for the people' as practiced (with all it's variations and imperfections) in what are generally known as the Western Democracies has proven itself to provide it's citizens with the most free, happy, healthy, wealthy, informed lives in the history of mankind.

There is much can be argued with in all our countries, but no other system has ever, other than in theory, been demonstrated to give anyone anything like the life we lead today.

Maybe I am just spoilt living in a country as wonderful as Australia, but I think we are the luckiest people to have ever breathed air.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3622 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Hear, hear!!!!!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 22:49, Destiny wrote:
Gdw,

I believe government 'of the people, by the people, for the people' as practiced (with all it's variations and imperfections) in what are generally known as the Western Democracies has proven itself to provide it's citizens with the most free, happy, healthy, wealthy, informed lives in the history of mankind.

There is much can be argued with in all our countries, but no other system has ever, other than in theory, been demonstrated to give anyone anything like the life we lead today.

Maybe I am just spoilt living in a country as wonderful as Australia, but I think we are the luckiest people to have ever breathed air.

Yes, we have it pretty darn good, relative to the rest of the world. However, IF (For the sake of argument, I'm being hypothetical) the system we are under is immoral, then this says nothing more than saying "we are the freest slaves on the plane." I'm not saying we are slaves, I am just saying that being at the "top" is only relative, and does not address whether or not what we live under is "right."

Any who, that doesn't really give me any idea of what YOUR political views are. What principles you support, what you'd like to see done with/by government, what you think the purpose of government is?

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
You asked for a few sentences and now want an essay - the Western democracies, ideally, are based on capitalism with citizens guaranteed personal liberty and freedom of religion. They have sensible regulation so one persons freedom does not infringe on another.

You will notice I used the word 'ideally'. I am not Utopian. Mistakes are made and nothing is perfect.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-02-03 18:32, Destiny wrote:
You asked for a few sentences and now want an essay - the Western democracies, ideally, are based on capitalism with citizens guaranteed personal liberty and freedom of religion. They have sensible regulation so one persons freedom does not infringe on another.

You will notice I used the word 'ideally'. I am not Utopian. Mistakes are made and nothing is perfect.

I was asking for a few sentences because you criticized me for not being able to explain every facet of a system in a few sentences.

As for what I am asking, I'm not asking what system, I'm asking for your political views. Most world describe themselves as leaning left, or right, but even that doesn't tell me much, considering the range of differing views on either side.

So, what I'm asking is, what are your political views? What fundamental principles do you base those views on?
Do you have any underlying principles, or do you just hold a mix of ideas of what you think works best?

Your comments on liberty and such give me an idea, but it would still seem to hold contradictions, as most regulations ARE infringements on the freedom of others.

For me, it boils down to this, I have no place telling two consenting people what the can, or can not do with eachother in bed, so why should I have any say what they do in business between eachother?
So, what place does "the majority" have making those decisions for them?
What place do they have saying what people can contract with eachother, be it a contract of marriage, or a contract to sell some food.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-02-03 18:54, gdw wrote:

For me, it boils down to this, I have no place telling two consenting people what the can, or can not do with eachother in bed, so why should I have any say what they do in business between eachother?
So, what place does "the majority" have making those decisions for them?
What place do they have saying what people can contract with eachother, be it a contract of marriage, or a contract to sell some food.

What two people alone together in bed do in bed together almost certainly involves nor affects anyone else (excepting in the case of cheating spouses).

But what two people do in business almost certainly always does involve or affect others.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Balducci, how do you explain this local (to me) business?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlite_Bunny_Ranch
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Its a Koan.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-02-03 19:30, MagicSanta wrote:
Balducci, how do you explain this local (to me) business?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlite_Bunny_Ranch

That's a business, and it can and does affect more than two people. Stop trying to confuse the kid (gdw).

BTW Santa ... about those funeral arrangements you mentioned a while back, but could not act on (e.g., sending a body to the afterlife, adrift on a flaming boat / barge). I read today that Colorado allows open air funeral pyres / cremations. Apparently it may very well be the only U.S. state that does. So now you know.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Balducci, it affects those that chose to be involved, and thus they are also parties doing business.

Like those who choose to do business by dropping at a store.

Like future sex partners who choose to get involved. Or, heck, join in at the same time.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The press and the Gifford shooting (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..29~30~31~32~33..40~41~42 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL