The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best lens for ultra close-up photography (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pc or Mac, Chevy or Ford, Nikon or Canon.... all the same arguments can be made. I chose Nikon as all the guys at Sports Illustrated that I worked with had 'em. I also notice, now, a lot of Canon (gray) telephoto lenses at major sporting events. I have Nikkor lenses from 10mm fisheye up to super tele 1000mm.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My brother also shoots Canon. He bought one of those 1200mm super telephoto lenses. I don't know why. He never does any photography.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Yes, Bill, but with a lens like that I bet he looks like a photographer!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Voightlander Bessamatic
a blast from my past.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 15:30, Bill Palmer wrote:
I used a 50mm Cannon for a lot of my closeup work, but it left a 2 inch hole in everything. So I switched to a camera.

I was shocked at your spelling, until I got past the first coma. lol!
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Always liked Nikon starting with a Nikon F2S, which I still have, but now shoot with a Nikon D60. I rely on indirect sunlight and avoid flash for close-up of my magic apparatus that I load on my site or on Andy Martin's. The rest is Photoshop.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
Back in the days of traditional film most hardcore photographers did buy Nikon. Nowadays it is digital photography and Kent is right both brands are almost the same. Therefore, it becomes a personal choice of either Canon or Nikon.

I love your C&B work Kent, but I am still a Canon fan. Smile

I have a Canon A-1 camera and always got fantastic results from it, it's too bad I can no longer use it. When I interned with Annie Leibovitz back in 1987 I borrowed her Nikon with a wide angle lens and did not care for it much. I believe she is shooting digital for test shots but still using her Mamiya RZ 67 for final shots. My Mamiya RB 67, Mamiya C33 twin lens reflex, and my Canon A-1 are just sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

have fun folks, let's continue with the Magic,
Keith
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
All joking aside,

Rangefinder cameras really are the best freaking cameras in the world.

I still use an old Leica my dad bought years ago. No SLR will ever really compare to the images that come out of a properly adjusted Leica camera.

I work for Nikon. I think we build the finest SLR cameras in the world. If you really want the best camera in the world with the best possible optical design. Do a little surfing on rangefinder cameras. I can, with no reservations, completely recommend the Leica M9. I can't afford one. I may have to buy one anyway.

KG
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A friend of mine has had a Hasselblad for about 25 years. He says that if you buy one, remember, the first half of the name is "Hassel."

His quote -- "that @#%%@ camera has been back and forth to Sweden more times than I have."

Hard to beat a Leica. That's for sure.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
The one special thing about the Leica is how quiet they are. It's nice to be able to take a picture of someone without them heaing the camera going off and scaring them off, that is when a Leica camera comes in handy.

Being so used to SLR cameras and their viewfinders makes it so easy to focus the lens, focusing on a rangefinder is not so easy and is something you will have to get used to.

I disagree with Kent that Nikon is the finest camera in the world.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
It all depends on the application. For ultra close-up shots, I would use a Nikon/Micro Nikkor. Only because it is the way I've done it for 43 years. That doesn't necessarily make it better than a Canon. Of course, if that photo had to be blown up to 60 feet, I would go with 4x5 film and my trusty Linhof.

Funny, I recently sold a great old Leica III for parts. It had met with a horrible accident but still sold for $600., the same price as the new 12 mpixel Nikon 3100. Amazing how far digtal has come but film isn't dead yet by any means.

For digital photography, we need to be aware of sensor characteristics and electronic circuits, just like we knew about film and lenses in the old days. There are big differences and they evolve rapidly. Canon had no idea that the 5D MKII would be so widely embraced by cinematographers. Now it's a whole new market and everyone is jumping into it.
-Charles Schulz
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
We have two real camera stores in Houston that deal in supplies for doing film work. They also have an excellent lab.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
EP Levine just opened a big new store here that is mostly dedicated to film. They were selling Kodachrome right up until the end. (sniff)
http://www.eplevine.com/
-Charles Schulz
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I used a Minolta srt101 for most of my early instructions. I even used a "brick" for a while (Argus c-3).
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is a spoof blog.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Indeed Bill, it's there in the title!

I agree with Kent that Nikon are making the finest DSLRs on the market.
But I love my Canon glass Smile
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I notice that Leica cameras are generally twice the price of Nikons. Why?
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
I have done a lot of macrofoto in my life. Before the digital era you had to go SLR. If you were just shooting dead things a little closer than usual the cheapest was to mount close-up lenses in front of your standard 50 mm lens. Next step was a set of macro extending tubes to mount between the lens and the camera. With those you could get up to 1:1 with exellent quality when the lens was stepped down to f:16.

If you needed more enlargement next step was a set of bellows. But they were expensive.
If you had to work in the field hunting living insects or just needed maximum quality you had to buy a dedicated macro lens. I have lived with a wonderfull specimen for decades.

Now everything is turned around. The easiest way to get nice macrofotos are with a point-and-shoot digital camera in the middle class (or upper class). You can get a camera for around 300 $ with a close range around 2 or 3 cm.!

Of course you get a potential better quality with a greater camera with interchangable lenses. But if you only need pictures for the web or the screen you really need nothing more than 4-5 MP.

I now have a digital SLR camera in the 1000 $ class, but a dedicated macrolens costs as much as the camera alone.

I think it is with camera brands as with card brands. The man behind is what really counts.

Just one more thing: forget about the fancy ringflash sets. They are designed for medical use to avoid any kind af shadow. It makes your pictures flat and dead. Sunlight from the side or a flash on a cord is all the light you need.

Good luck!
Troels
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best lens for ultra close-up photography (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL