The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sub Trunk that breaks down (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I'm going to build a sub trunk for me and my son to perform but I don't have room to store or transport a trunk unless it can break down. Anyone know of plans for a subtrunk that breaks down? I could design the breaking down aspect of it myself I suppose.
I think I prefer the packing crate style of trunk with a top ****. Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
flight10
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of flight10
You are going to love this. I have a video on a packing crate style sub trunk that breaks down & can be built from 1 sheet of plywood. I will need to open up some boxes in my garage to find the name of the video. Will get back to you.

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 9:28pm
Sitting right on top of the box. The video is Illusion Projects by Clayton Cavaness. Produced by V.I.A.E PRODUCTIONS. I bought this about 8 years ago so I am not sure if his contact details have changed. email: claysher@cei.net.
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Run 1 1/2 or 2 inch wide angle aluminum down the inside corners and along the bottom. 1/8 thick stuff. Permanently screw it to one side and bolt it through the other. 3-4 bolts per side. This aluminum should be available at any hardware store or home center. Very strong, easy to set up.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Any sub trunk I stand on will break down.
-Matt
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 21:30, Craig Dickens wrote:
Run 1 1/2 or 2 inch wide angle aluminum down the inside corners and along the bottom. 1/8 thick stuff. Permanently screw it to one side and bolt it through the other. 3-4 bolts per side. This aluminum should be available at any hardware store or home center. Very strong, easy to set up.

I did something similar about 30 years ago, but used angle steel that was pre-perforated. One down each vertical inside corner, and one each front and back at the bottom inside edge.

This is the same kind of stuff. http://www.nextag.com/slotted-angle/shop-html
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22398 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Chalet use to make a sub trunk that only had 5 sides made out of 1" Pine boards. The sides just bolted together. Doesn't most plans for the Sub Trunk with the removable lid, make it for tear down?

Jim, you could always use it as a magic toy box. LOL

I once knew a magician that carried his complete show in his sub trunk. So it not only was used in his show, but everything was taken in one trip.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Perfect, guys. Thanks. What a resource.

Jim

Posted: Jan 10, 2011 11:15pm
Bill,
I actually could use it to throw about 1/8th of my son's toys. Finding a place for his toys is the major challedge of my life.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Clayton Cavaness's plans were the best subtrunk plans EVER marketed.

I think he is a full time photographer now. Not sure if he still does magic. I wish he would have put out a lot more plans, as his ideas were WAAAAY more workable than 90% of the stuff out there.

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Glad I made my sub trunk to break down. I had other thoughts of packing the rest of the show inside, but in the stupidity of my youth, I made the trunk 1/4" too large to fit through a standard doorway. Ha!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I emailed Clayton with the email above but it's not working. Oh well. Michael, what type of trunk did you make?

Jim
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1581 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Have you look into the Osborne plans? Packs pretty flat. If not, you might want to check that out.

Patrick
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 01:56, JamesinLA wrote:
I emailed Clayton with the email above but it's not working. Oh well. Michael, what type of trunk did you make?

Jim

I drew up the plans myself, but it was a packing crate style. I made it from pine boards, held together by cleats. This made securing the t*** a bit tricky, but I figured a way to make it work.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I like that look also. I would like to do it that way. I would be interested in your dimensions and anything about the way you secured the t*** with that type of construction. I would guess you used 1 x 6 pine. Thanks!

Jim
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
PM sent.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 00:43, Michael Baker wrote:
Glad I made my sub trunk to break down. I had other thoughts of packing the rest of the show inside, but in the stupidity of my youth, I made the trunk 1/4" too large to fit through a standard doorway. Ha!

I did that too. Boy, did I feel dumb! Somewhat fortunately I did make it so that it could break down. Problem is, it used to take almost half an hour and two people to put it together. On top of that, I made it out of cheap wood, and it warped after a few months, making it even more awkward to put together. Not one of my finer moments...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I remember working to help put a racing team together, we had to find out the smallest cargo doors on commuter airplanes so we could build crates to ship spare engines without worrying if they would fit into the planes.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 20:32, Pete Biro wrote:
I remember working to help put a racing team together, we had to find out the smallest cargo doors on commuter airplanes so we could build crates to ship spare engines without worrying if they would fit into the planes.

So... forehead slapping can lead to a job? Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
I used this:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/me....../4163623

You can "cheat" and get it for free, but do the right thing and pay the man. Smile It's pretty good with only a few errors. Maybe a good idea is to do it with cardboard first to do a mock-up. It'll save you money in the long run.

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 12:19pm
PS - fully breaks down and not too bad for transport. I HIGHLY recommend doing a mock-up first, however. I'm going to redo the lid, I believe. Not quite perfect and it really needs to be.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22398 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Remember James, that if you do use the 1 by wood to build your trunk, each board has to be sanded and treated with clear wood sealer to prevent what has been mentioned above, warping of the wood. Stain the wood if you want to make it look old, but a sealer is important. Lumber is super expensive today, so no need to have to throw it out or the trick not work on a show because it got humid that day.

You may want to use screen door grade lumber as that will not have all the problems of regular pine lumber. Good luck!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Very good point on sealing the wood. When I made mine, I did not, and fortunately did not have any problems... and I did not use clear pine, either. There were a few random knots that gave the box character.

But... it seems these days lumber suppliers like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. are selling wood that is very green. Unless it is well-seasoned and stable, it is very likely to warp.

I will say that I noticed this problem heavily in the south, where a lot of yellow pine comes from, so we may have been subject to more freshly milled lumber. That may make a difference, too. I would however, prefer that wood do its thing in the lumber yard, and not after I've bought it and brought it home!

Heaven forbid it will bow or wind, as there is not much that can be done to save it, but cupping is a very common problem with wood. Look here for an example.

Unless it is severe, it has simple solutions for prevention... at least enough to maybe save your box. Look at the end grain of the boards, and when you line them up parallel before attaching the cross cleats, lay the boards so the curve in the grain alternates. In other words, lay one so the curve is down, the next the curve up, then down, etc.

By doing this, should the boards cup, they won't all pull in the same direction, and will tend to offset each other's defect.

If that doesn't make sense, I'll draw a picture.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sub Trunk that breaks down (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL