We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Gaff is Used? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
THE EFFECT

You place a coin in someone's hand laying down the challenge that you can grab it before they close their hand. They close it & think you've failed because they can still feel the coin there. But when opening their hand it's a different coin & you're now holding the original one.

I saw a clip of one of the magicians on the Penn & Teller 'Fool Us' do this. I wasn't aware it was trick TBH. The only other place I've seen it is in the film Bloodsport starring Jean Claude Van Damme.

Does anyone know if this is a gaff coin or know where I can find this routine?
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
It's a co___r/si___r coin. Place it on their fingers and it flips over when they close their hand. Just don't leave it there too long!

Regards
Sean
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
317 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Sorry Sean, but its not a gimmicked coin. This is a very old swindle, that simply uses 2 coins and a ''sleight'' (if you could call it that). jim
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
Vinny has a fantastic method for doing this with pure sleight as well.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Hey Jim.

If that's the case I'd love to know how it's done. Can't imagine!

Regards
Sean
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sent you a PM.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9125 Posts

Profile of funsway
I used to do this a lot with black and white stones -- it kills.

The key is that they are focused on a vanish and are "blind" to a switch
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Pete, I would appreciate a PM about this also!

Thank you.

Jim
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
It can be done as Sean says or as Jim Ferguson says.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
317 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Hi guys, didn't realise this thread had tooken off. Sean, Jim, I trust Pete has filled you in ? I first learned this from my father, who learned it from my grandfather, who was an amateur magician. If you havent seen it before its quite a shock when you open your hand and see a diffirent coin. jim
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of afknight
Quote:
On 2011-01-12 02:03, J-Mac wrote:
Pete, I would appreciate a PM about this also!

Thank you.

Jim

Pete
I would love a pm on this as well. thanks
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Hello, OP here. Can someone please PM me as I still none the wiser Smile

Thank you Smile
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 11:54, seangiles wrote:
It's a co___r/si___r coin. Place it on their fingers and it flips over when they close their hand.

I do this trick regularly as part of my close up routine, I call it the 12p trick but I don't use whatever is the gaffed coin that you describe. I just put what they think is a 2p coin in their hand and when they open their hand they find a normal and examinable 10p coin. Its so simple I thought everyone with a bit of knowlege knew how to do it.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-13 04:25, VE Day wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-11 11:54, seangiles wrote:
It's a co___r/si___r coin. Place it on their fingers and it flips over when they close their hand.

I do this trick regularly as part of my close up routine, I call it the 12p trick but I don't use whatever is the gaffed coin that you describe. I just put what they think is a 2p coin in their hand and when they open their hand they find a normal and examinable 10p coin. Its so simple I thought everyone with a bit of knowlege knew how to do it.

The actual effect I saw doesn't play that way. And the more I think about it the more I think it's not a gaff at all but another method. It certainly doesn't flip over as Sean suggests as it starts in the centre of their palm & they simply close their hand.

Jim or Pete can you shoot me a PM as you both seem to know what I need.

Thanks to all that have posted so far.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8883 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Think this is more specifically known as a kind of "Coin Snatching." It was in that movie where the guy snatched one coin from the hand and left another one there without the victim even realizing a switch had been made. It can certainly be facilitated as Sean described with gaffed coins but the method being asked about here is more along the lines of a stunt, that could play as a little magic as well. I believe this aspect of it is known as the "Rochester Switch," nice move. See here:

http://www.coinsnatching.com/coin_table_of_contents.html
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
317 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Hi Russell, Ive sent you a PM. jim
VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
94 Posts

Profile of VE Day
If its a coin snatch then I suspect its done in exactly the same way as Top Cat performs it when he snatches the coin back from his chauffeur at the start of the Top Cat cartoon.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8883 Posts

Profile of Mb217
If I remember correctly, and I happen to be somewhat a cartoon afficionado, Smile Top Cat has a string attached to the coin to pull it back before the hand closes. Smile This "Coin Snatching" thing uses no string, the snatch & switch happen from speed and agility. It's a real thing, I've seen it done. But this is about as close to magic as perhaps cup or dice-stacking is to cups & balls IMHO. At best it can seem somewhat magical if played that way I guess.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Mb and VE, Top Cat was the best! I LOVED that show. I also remember the coin snatch. Perhaps I'm off topic, but couldn't help but chime in on the Top Cat reference.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
Can someone shoot me a post Please as I saw this on the show and would like to know .

Thanks

shaun
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Gaff is Used? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.46 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL