The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » A friend approaches you with a deck of cards... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Excuse me, Cheesewrestler, but that trick is actually the Groucho Marx Exclusive, from the movie Duck Soup, first performed on Mrs. Teasdale at the reception for His Excellency, the President of Freedonia, Rufus T. Firefly.

Please, if you are going to credit material, get the credits right! And if you do say the secret word, the duck will come down and leave something in your soup!

Lee "Captain Spaulding" Darrow, C.H.
"The world would not be in such a snarl, if Marx had been Groucho, instead of Karl!" - Oscar Levant
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2006-09-11 04:37, Lee Darrow wrote:
Excuse me, Cheesewrestler, but that trick is actually the Groucho Marx Exclusive, from the movie Duck Soup, first performed on Mrs. Teasdale at the reception for His Excellency, the President of Freedonia, Rufus T. Firefly.

Please, if you are going to credit material, get the credits right! And if you do say the secret word, the duck will come down and leave something in your soup!

Lee "Captain Spaulding" Darrow, C.H.
"The world would not be in such a snarl, if Marx had been Groucho, instead of Karl!" - Oscar Levant

Thanks for the reminder!

However, if you watch closely you'll see that the Marx routine uses quite a different technique for the get-ready. Although this technique has been credited variously to Bro. John Hamman, Mickey Katz, and Moe, it was probably taught to Groucho by an otherwise unknown card man named W.S. Esandre.

(This is according to the book "Really Really Inside Secrets Which Dai Vernon Thought Were Lost But Actually He Left Them Right There In Plain Sight On The Kitchen Table Next To His Car Keys Because He Was Getting A Bit Forgetful By Then".)
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I second Emily and Brian's suggestion - Dr. Daley's Last Trick
May I suggest Last Man Standing, by John Bannon. Simon Lovell has a very similar effect, but I forget the name.
If the cards can be faro'd, then Estimation Aces by Marlo.
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
775 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Yeah an ambitious card routine is Killer.
Pick up and go!
Leave em dazzled!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
docmagik
View Profile
Regular user
San Bernardino, CA
118 Posts

Profile of docmagik
The last volume of David Regal's "Tricks" series ("Enough with the Tricks Already!") is all impromtu card magic.

There's great stuff.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19728 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2002-04-20 09:01, Platt wrote:
Great question, David.

Here's my advice: Always carry roughing fluid with you. When they hand you a deck, excuse yourself to the bathroom. While in the bathroom make an invisible deck out of the cards. It only takes twenty minutes or so. In my experience, if you making groaning sounds, they'll just think you're constipated and shouldn't question a thing.

Perform invisible deck.

To get the cards back to normal, simply ask for any upset stomach medication (Pepto is a good choice) and get back to the bathroom. They won't suspect a thing! Gently rub the back of each card with a damp towel, let dry, and casually hand the cards back to the owner. There you have it. Magic at a moments notice.

Another good idea is turning their deck into a stripper deck. A pair of scissors, a little super glue (for repair), and you're all set for another impromptu miracle.

Good luck,

Platt

Stop stealing and telling others my ideas!!!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Wow, lot of responses to this question!

I would do one of the following, depending on my mood...Ambitious card, OOTW or my floating card routine.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » A friend approaches you with a deck of cards... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL