The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Teenagers are the best subjects for Stage Shows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Is this true from your experiences?

Those who have done Stage Hypnosis for many years I mean...

I was taught that it has to do with the authority figure of the Hypnotist and the emotional state of teenagers, especially the girls...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Absolutely, most definitely.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks Mindpro... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
They are a very good audience. Which is why college shows run so smoothly. I wouldn't put it down to authority figures. More likely something to do with a free-spiritedness that teens have, which is lost as they grow. That is why an audience is easier to work with after they have had a few pints (but not if they are drunk).
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Agreed. Great audience.
Teenagers form close bonds and friendships so think they know each other really well.
Consequently, you get the best reactions from this group when they see their friends doing stuff, either seemingly out of character or completely as expected. Doesn't seem to matter which.
You also see the most dramatic transformations from skeptical audience member/volunteer to believer/great subject. In my opinion.

However, it's not really much of a challenge for the hypnotist, so I wouldn't want to depend on doing these shows all the time. One could easily get complacent!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think the reason that young people make better audiences is because of their mental development. They are still open to new ideas and in learning mode which makes them more able to accept suggestion. Older people in general are more fixed and conditioned in their minds. Tend to be a bit more sceptical although there are lots of exceptions.

The very best audience a hypnotist can have is young soldiers. Its money for nothing they are programmed not to question they go most easiest.

I couldn't care less about challenges just fill the room with either the above and your in for a good show. I would do only these types of audiences if I could.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I'm with you, Mindpunisher. If I want a challenge I will try Ben Nevis again.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow. Actually I think it is a myth. The reason is that I think it is about willingness and expectation. If you have the right build up and advertising for comedy clubs, or even the second day of a fair the adults are just as willing.

Most hypnotists do private functions and places they may or may not be expected. It makes it quite tough.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
I agree with Danny. Also, the size of the town/city you are doing a show in will have an affect. I have to sell the show harder in small areas as most people are introverted and too laid back....afraid they will be the talk of the town as well as I am doing black magic, devil's work, am the devil, etc. In a bigger city, most people are a little more open to ideas of fun and have the willingness to just let go.-Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I should clarify. Yes teenagers are very easy and require very little work. Adults can be just as good though provided it is approached right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2011-01-13 19:53, Dannydoyle wrote:
Wow. Actually I think it is a myth. The reason is that I think it is about willingness and expectation. If you have the right build up and advertising for comedy clubs, or even the second day of a fair the adults are just as willing.

Most hypnotists do private functions and places they may or may not be expected. It makes it quite tough.

You could be right Danny it may be a myth. I would certainly include young adults in the group. But great subjects do come from any group. I think that the younger groups might have a higher percentage but then again maybe not.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 02:26, mindpunisher wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-13 19:53, Dannydoyle wrote:

You could be right Danny it may be a myth. I would certainly include young adults in the group. But great subjects do come from any group. I think that the younger groups might have a higher percentage but then again maybe not.

Them being easier subjects could well be a myth and maybe shows seem to go better because performers believe they will, but I do stand by my comments about teenagers being a great audience for the reasons I mentioned.

The challenge bit I set myself is the "conversion" of skeptics and it does seem to me teenagers are more easily swayed. (A while ago I started asking the audience who "believed" first at the beginning then at the end of a show.)

I've worked with groups of soldiers too, as well as groups of police and firefighters and I agree, they generally follow your directions to the letter, which is nice, BUT I have found this not always to be the case when working with them away from their usual group, for example just one or two soldiers amongst a group of civvies.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When you train a dog, never train them when you are having a bad day. The dog can sense it through the leash. If you walk out and think the show is going to be tough, or easy or what not, the audience can smell it in you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
That is very true although I still think certain groups are better than others. I was always t old by my mentor to avoid senior military. I had to give it ago to realise why! I ended up brawling withthem on the stage. Upperclass twits.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As I said I do concede that a group of teens are easier simply because the expectation level, the willingness to participate and what not is very high.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I know I was just pointing out a particularly bad group.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ahh yes they would be bad LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Teenagers are the best subjects for Stage Shows? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL