The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Trouble with the Perfect Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I’m having trouble with the Perfect Production. Jeff McBride says that the thumb has to peel the cards off, but I find it difficult because the cards get in the way. If I don’t reach the thumb far enough, the cards squirt out. If I move the thumb correctly, I bent the cards. Are the cards supposed to bend? Won’t that ruin the cards and put a permanent crease in them?
Riku_Pajari
View Profile
New user
Mikkeli, Finland
99 Posts

Profile of Riku_Pajari
I just learned this at last about 2 months ago. I was careful about bending the cards too but I learned that cards need to bend to make the move better.

I use regular Bee cards that I have prepared myself for manipulation just like Jeff McBride taught in one of his DVD's, I'm not sure was it the first or second volume in his Card Manipulation series. That makes the card more better for card manipulation and it doesn't matter if the cards bent or not. And you can always use a card clip to straighten the cards again.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I suggest you study the video and not listen so much to the words. It is simpler then you may think, if you get the cards in the correct position and locked into the hand.

Thumb does not peel but pushes. Then the index finger takes over. Any further details shouls be moved to the Banquet area of the Café.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Thanks everyone, I'll take your suggestions. Riku, I'm going to buy a Bee back cards and prepare them per McBrides instructions. I'm not crazy about bending my fanning deck and I won't care how much I bend the Bee backs. It does seem like the only way for the thumb to reach is by bending them real far.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't know what you mean by bend, but if you are saying you bend them with a palm, then of course, you hand is not straight, it is a natural curve of your pal, and fingers. They are only paper, they will recover from use like this with a simple riffle shuffle, both directions.

You can use fanning cards, but usually this move is used with manipulation cards, as you can hold more cards in this position.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I tried going back to the video, but McBride doesn't give you a magicians view point angle. So, being an illustrator, I drew his hands and turned it to the magician's view point and saw what he does. He doesn't crimp the cards to get the thumb to the fingers, which is impossible, but instead, he moves the middle finger to the thumb, bending the cards slightly. This is much easier, but I might add it is a little cramped.

I'm figuring that it's just going to be something that will take constant practice. I just didn't want to practice incorrectly, that's why I posted this. Practice does "not" make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The face card is pushed forward with the thumb, thumb contacted just below the card corner, so the index finger can clip the card between the index and 2nd finger. This does not bend the corner of the card at all. The thumb moves away as the card is pinched together between the index and 2nd finger, the card automatically pops into view. The two finger extend slightly to bring the card into view. This is done quickly, and the thumb lowers to frame the card. Usually 12 cards are used with productions like this.

Did you study the point where Jeff shows the two handed production in front of his body. It is the same moves, only at a different angle.

Hope this is clear enough.

This move was also explained in a large Encyclopedia of Card Magic published years ago, Walter Gibson was the author.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
The main problem I’ve been having with this is that I can’t get the thumb to the face of the card. I really studied the illustration that I drew of Jeff McBride’s hands and placed the cards in my hands. The solution I came up with is to wrap the heal of the thumb around the lower corner of the stack. Once I did this, I was able to bend the thumb and give it mobility. Then from there I was able to practice it.

Repetition does make it easier, but I had to be able push the card free before I could proceed with the task of perfecting the Perfect Production.

Thanks wmhegbli for all of your help.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I do not know the size of your hands, but the cards are just held in the palm position. The only difference is it is palmed between the 2nd, & 3rd fingers and the rear fatty part of the heal of the hand. The little finger is held up like when people hold a cup of tea, with the little finger stick out or up in the air. The thumb and 1st finger is totally free.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Quote:
This move was also explained in a large Encyclopedia of Card Magic published years ago, Walter Gibson was the author.

Yes... Gibson called it the "Perfection Production."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mtpascoe, I just finished watching the Jeff McBride discription of the Perfect Production. I think he explains it perfectly while showing the position. Don't forget to watch the slow motion portion of the training.

How are you coming along of the move?

I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but the cards are not bent, but curved in the natural curved of the hand.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I practiced this constantly and getting better with it, thanks for asking. The larger amount of cards I use, the more difficult it is. Those with small hands have trouble anyway with sleight of hand, but I never let that slow me down. I just find a better way to do it. I discovered that doing the move without the thumb to be better for me, but harder to learn. I have a practice session with Jeff coming up so I will bring it up with him.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I never thought to tell you that this is done with only about 12 cards. It is not ment to be used with say a half of a deck.

Well, keep at it and good luck.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Thanks for the suggestion about the twelve cards, that seem to do the trick (pardon the pun) because now I got it. You are correct, it's not good to bend the cards. Of course they will crimp a little bit, but I now found out that it's not necessary to bend them too far to do this sleight.

Also, I find that if you let some of the cards squirt a bit from your fingers like springing the cards, it helps to produce the cards one at a time. Of course you must be careful not to let them squirt out all at once or you'll get cards all over the place.
EduardoGaleano
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of EduardoGaleano
Hi! Does anybody know who was the first one to produce more than one card with this production? Thanks!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I think this goes back to Cardini, if I am not mistaken. The version you see today is a re-working of that by either Ken Brooke or Lewis Ganson, and if my memory serves me correctly, it is detailed in "Routined Manipulation" by Lewis Ganson, and that work is referenced a couple of times by Jeff on his tapes/DVDs.

Anyone else that has more info, please share!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What does Walter B. Gibson say in the Encyclopedia of Card Magic. It was 1st published in this book. My feeling is it is an extension of the card palm.
EduardoGaleano
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of EduardoGaleano
Sorry, I´m trying to ask about who was the one who invented de dual,triple,etc perfect production (2 or 3 cards at the same time in the hand). Was anybody doing it before An Ha Lim?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, I do not know, the move did not become popular or used much until Lance Burton included it in his award winning manipulation silent act. Prior to that it was hidden in the book referenced. In the book it is discribed using a packet of cards.

Where Walter B. Gibson got it to include it in the book is unknown to me. That is why I posted as if anyone on the Café could contribute to this forum.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have not gotten a chance to look at my copy of the Gibson book as listed above, but there may be a reference in there. As far as the use of a packet in the Perfect Production, I believe An Ha Lim may be a good guess, but I cannot say for certain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Trouble with the Perfect Production (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL