The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Takagi one cup routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Hi Francis! Welcome to the Magic Café and to this forum. I've learned a lot here and I'm sure you will as well.

The book mentioned above, "The Amazing Miracles of Shigeo Takagi" is a great investment not only for the solid cup routine, but for a Japanese routine called "Owan to Tama." There's an older post in this section about that routine as well. The book is well illustrated and you would find it a valuable resource.

And yes, Francis, your collection is benefiting from my New Year's Resolution. You now have some of my old "favorites."
Magic is where you find it.....
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Mr. Bill P. Nice to see you after a while. (My while, that is).

I loved seeing a routine by [name will come in a minute] whose 'silver' cups all became solid by the end.
He won the FFFF or some award with it.

Fantastic though it was he missed doing the Vernon Ball and Cone move that would have vanished a load ball before he showed the cups to be solid. [name should pop up right about now].

I do this move at the end of the Takagi cup routine with the question, "Now, what color wass the ball?" then revealing the solid cup.
This pretty much kills, as at the table you can go south with the ball.

I love how everyone tries to unscrew the solid cup. It really tells you how powerful the illusion is.

I don't think they should have bothered to make the next cup with the "suprize inside" as I think it nearly spoils the effect without adding anything. It's great for the manufactures to have a new thing to make, and the sales must be nice, but it makes a miricle into a trick. My opinion.

Elliot
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Hey, Elliot -- good to see you posting here.

That was Shawn Farquhar who did the routine you are referring to.

I hope that somehow Gary Wolfsberger publishes his routine again, because it's the one that AFAIK started it all.

BTW, I understand what you mean about the ball inside the solid cup. I don't think it was a necessary addition. However, the golf ball inside the pudding can IS actually as close to a miracle as you can get, because the ball IS inside a sealed can.

I have seen Lonnie do this on a number of occasions. At the end, he pops the lid on the pudding can, reaches into the chocolate pudding with a spoon, and lifts out the golf ball -- covered with chocolate pudding -- as if to offer it up as dessert! He does this completely dead pan. It's beautiful.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
About how much are these things going for? Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Check with Angelo. He is the one who is making them right now.

Also Papasmurf. He makes some really nice ones.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The reason I ask is because I have one. I am not sure who made it but it is pretty old looking. The instructions have a whole bunch of hand-drawn illustrations to explain the routine. Smile
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 15:23, dpe666 wrote:
The reason I ask is because I have one. I am not sure who made it but it is pretty old looking. The instructions have a whole bunch of hand-drawn illustrations to explain the routine. Smile

It is Jeff Busby.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Is this the one that separates or the one that does not?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
It separates. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Hard to say -- probably somewhere between $200 and $400. If it has both of the Mike Rogers large baseballs with it, it is worth more.

The reality of the situation is this -- John Dahms made the official cups. That's a plus. Jeff Busby published it and marketed it. That doesn't quite cancel it out, but Jeff isn't the most popular guy in magic right now.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Is there video of the performance of this routine anywhere online?
-Lee
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Dominique Duvivier has come up with a variation that pushes the concept initiated by Shigeo Takagi even furtther
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Lawrence O...is it written up or on video somewhere?
Just telling us that he has come up with something does not help much.
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Not sure if there is a video online, but Duvivier has one version of his routine on Vol 3 of his collected works (I forget the exact title right now), I think that was a two person routine, however, so I'm not sure if it's the one Lawrence was speaking of.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Does anyone have a copy of the routine that came with the Busby Takagi Cup? I have the Kaufman Amazing Miracles book but want the original instructions to compare both routines for this cup.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
As far as I know there is only one routine. But there were two cups: one that was completely solid, and then later a cup that appeared solid but broke open to reveal a large ball inside. So the instructions Busby did changed at some point when Takagi developed the second cup.

The routine in my book would have been his final word on the subject, because it came out years later.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
A solid Takagi cup recently landed my way and I'm wondering where/how the routine diverged from the original instructions to the final one in Amazing Miracles.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
@ Mobius 303
Good point, sorry!
and no, ConjurorMatt, it's not the same routine. Go to
http://www.mayette.com/Intimiste_2___Dom......ils.aspx and it's under Gobelet en bois (which means wooden cup)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I managed to get a hold of the original 1977 manuscript of the Takagi One Cup routine that Busby published, but it's missing the illustration sheet. Does anyone have this and would be willing to photocopy that illustration sheet for me?

Thank you...
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Could someone describe the effect? I don't understand what this is used for.
Reality is a real killjoy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Takagi one cup routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL