The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Clipboards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Quote:
On 2002-07-20 11:16, christopher carter wrote:
I just visited John's site and ordered one. Gotta admit it looks great. Only now I'll be waiting by the mailbox everyday as if waiting for my SkyKing decoder ring to come.

--Christopher Carter

Chris, you won't be disappointed, I assure you. John's new boards are the best available right now..bar none!

Best thoughts,
John Smetana
Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-07-20 12:30, John Smetana wrote:
John's new boards are the best available right now..bar none!

How do they compare to Bob Cassidy's new clipboards?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I'll only address the comparison of Bob's "Challenger" to the "Brown Hornet" (i.e., the two "real-time" boards), since I don't have John's pre-show boards.

John's board, as manufactured (i.e. with the Magic Slate) has nothing to be replaced, whereas Bob's needs inserts to be replaced.

With John's, you can just lift up the cover to get the peek; with Bob's you have to pop off the clip and pull out the insert.

John's surface cannot warp or tear; Bob's can (it may warp less than earlier boards like the Nelson boards, but boy, did it warp when I hit the humidity in Maryland at Phoenix Gathering).

John's surface looks exactly like a real clipboard, and the front perfectly matches the back. Bob's back doesn't match the front, and depending on how closely a participant looks at the front, it looks fishy (I will say that when I asked my layperson roommate point blank if anything looked funny about it, he said, "No, it's a clipboard" and gave me a weird look as if I was nuts to ask; on the other hand, it stood out to me like a sore thumb). This is a problem that you could easily correct if you're so motivated by following Bob's instructions to recover them, but that's a lot of work to do on a product; especially when it's something that for a very small investment Bob could easily change himself (I hesitate to say more without giving certain parts of its construction away, but if you have one, you should know what I mean).

On the other hand, John's is best for single words or designs; Bob's will show much finer detail.

As far as the other boards go, as I said, I can't speak firsthand on the "Black Mantis", but I can say that Bob's "Master Clipboard" has the same design drawbacks as the "Challenger", although it has the benefit of the ease of a carbon/paper insert, so it's a no mess read backstage. John's needs to be developed with a powder.

Any other comments comparing the two pre-show boards would be better from somebody who's seen both, so I'll leave it at that.

I do dearly love most of the stuff I've gotten from Bob (all of his ebooks and cd's are a steal at double the price), but I definitely have to go with John's boards over Bob's, hands down.

Hope this helps,
Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2002-07-20 01:19, Andy Leviss wrote:
http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/books.htm (for those who tried earlier, this is now the correct URL :o)

I heartily second Ford's recommendation. I just got my "Brown Hornet", and the only thing better than its quality and deviousness is John's customer service.

I don't have the "Black Mantis" (the pre-show board) yet, but it's on my short list--Alain Nu highly recommended it to me, and reading about and seeing them on John's site, I can see why :o)

Has anybody tried the "Grey Mosquito" I like the idea of being able to carry something around that doesn't look suspicious. It looks like it would do the trick..
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
Uri Geller does pre shows when he is on TV

He does not use clipboards...
I am sure you all saw how strong
he present it.
he is doing it from 1970's and no one
came close to him.
why?

Lior Manor
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2002-07-21 17:02, liormanor wrote:
Uri Geller does pre shows when he is on TV

He does not use clipboards...
I am sure you all saw how strong
he present it.
he is doing it from 1970's and no one
came close to him.
why?

Lior Manor

Do we know that for a fact? Im sure he uses some impression device his drawings are even the same size as the ones the other person draws. But Yeah I don't think he would get away with a clip board in that type of situation it would seem a bit suspicious.

Which was one of the reasons I wanted to buy the clone pad by Lea Earle. But that very week I ordered one they became unavailable.

We need a gimmicked drawing pad that doesn't look suspiscious are there any out there these days?
Fred Darevil
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Fred Darevil
I think I will never write again on this forum ! A friend told me yesterday that he read several of my messages on the Magic Café simply after he searched for my name on Google. And now : he and his wife have understood some important secrets of my mentalism effects !!!

I thought the access of this forum was private. It's not the case and it's a shame. Secret is an important part of our job. I will write only on private forums now. Sorry.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Kopykat for realtime, andy nyman's pro folio for preshow
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Clipboards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL