The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » "Fool Us" by Penn & Teller... Really? How is this good or right for the Art? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Looking back, I see I also mispelled Pakar, like Ray I went with the sound "Parker" but did an "ar" instead of an "er" at the end. Not intentional, not insensitive, not meant to offend, tell stonehead I'm sorry. Still think you're dead wrong about the P&T show.
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Okay I admit it. I named Pakar Porker to tease him, not because I don't like him or didn't know how to spell his name. I don't even know him. Shame on me. In the future I'll try to stick to the facts when I know I'm right. It was a cheap stunt and like msmustard and markmauler I apologise.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
No worries guys... Smile

Thanks.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
One more thing to add to this about the audience perception is Piff's performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk5xfK0ovrk

He doesn't fool Penn & Teller and the method is called out. In spite of that, there are many comments on the video that seem to think that the volunteer was a stooge, and other absurd things. So if people's brains are that warped 5 seconds after hearing the method, what state do you think they'll be in a few days, or even weeks, after seeing it?

Be entertaining, and technically competent. That is all.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
That was a GREAT spot buy a consumate pro. They key fact for me is... Does anyone think that being on this show will actually cost him ANY work or will it in fact increase his national exposure and marketability?
Ray Pierce
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
And Ray, that's it in a nutshell. The guy is wonderfully entertaining, he's a magician, and my bet is that his phone is ringing off the hook.

And he has a really cool dragon suit.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2011-08-09 13:17, stoneunhinged wrote:
And Ray, that's it in a nutshell. The guy is wonderfully entertaining, he's a magician, and my bet is that his phone is ringing off the hook.

And he has a really cool dragon suit.

Right you are...according to the Twitterverse, he's in talks with BBC for his own TV show, and his shows are selling out at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. All because of his spot on the show. He deserves it.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
I think we can all agree that the success of a magican lies in making a human connection... seldom do the crude gimmicks in a magic show - those mirrors, threads or rubber bands - deceive people, it's always the finese of the performance. And to a degree, I think for the public to appreciate magic as an art (and be intrigued enough to watch a tv program in substantial numbers) it's not such a bad thing that this show hints at a few techniques. It's certainly not blatant exposure. I think what's done, gives credit to magicians more as performers than mere tricksters.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 05:58, stoneunhinged wrote:
You know, regardless of where you stand on the issue, calling Pakar "porker" or "peker" is just rude, irresponsible, and deeply offensive.

Pakar is my friend. Mess with him, you mess with me. He can call me "bro" any day.

Funny how people in a forum about ethics can stoop so incredibly low. You guys should truly be ashamed of yourselves. You don't like his position? Then argue against it without resorting to cheap schoolboy insults.

I ain't a mod, which is a good thing, because I would have banned at least two people this morning.

Every point seconded. Disagreement is a fine thing (and in fact I disagree with my friend Pakar about P&T) and it can be done civilly.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 16:50, noble1 wrote:
Okay I admit it. I named Pakar Porker to tease him, not because I don't like him or didn't know how to spell his name. I don't even know him. Shame on me. In the future I'll try to stick to the facts when I know I'm right. It was a cheap stunt and like msmustard and markmauler I apologise.

Oh alright. Hadn't scrolled down this far yet. Apparently, my opinion wasn't needed Smile
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-08-11 09:08, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 05:58, stoneunhinged wrote:
You know, regardless of where you stand on the issue, calling Pakar "porker" or "peker" is just rude, irresponsible, and deeply offensive.

Pakar is my friend. Mess with him, you mess with me. He can call me "bro" any day.

Funny how people in a forum about ethics can stoop so incredibly low. You guys should truly be ashamed of yourselves. You don't like his position? Then argue against it without resorting to cheap schoolboy insults.

I ain't a mod, which is a good thing, because I would have banned at least two people this morning.

Every point seconded. Disagreement is a fine thing (and in fact I disagree with my friend Pakar about P&T) and it can be done civilly.

Thanks critter... Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Stone...

You da' man! Good on ye'....

Not to mention, Pakar is right. Or so I think...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I say we agree to disagree...unless this spells the end of magic (which I don't believe it will) we're all gonna be fine, even if we have differing opinions.

SO nice to see a few genuine apologies on here. There are too many threads where this stuff gets out of control, people say rotten things, and it makes this a less enjoyable place to be. We're all human and we all let our emotions get to us, but to take a step back and apologize says more about us than any petty remarks we might make. I've come to realize lately that this is the simple stuff, and in the big picture, there are FAR more important things to worry about in life. In fact I'm in disagreement with Jim on this issue, but he recently did something extremely kind for me, and I'd do the same for him without hesitation, so regardless of where we stand on the issues, it's good to see people put their weapons down and shake hands. Makes this board a better place to be Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
And as Andrew can tell you, I personally save my F U attacks for PMs.

If only everyone were as civilized as myself. Smile

I agree, the apologies were totally refreshing. I appreciate them.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-08-11 22:19, Andrew Zuber wrote:

I've come to realize lately that this is the simple stuff, and in the big picture, there are FAR more important things to worry about in life.

There ARE far more important things, I agree.

Quote:
On 2011-08-12 01:18, stoneunhinged wrote:

If only everyone were as civilized as myself. Smile

I agree, the apologies were totally refreshing. I appreciate them.

Yes, I agree, if only... Seriously.

I appreciate the apologies the most.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Agreed. Takes a lot of courage to admit when we've gone too far and own up to it.
~Will Rogers
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

A thin connection, but a connection still...

http://www.cracked.com/article_19358_5-r......_p2.html
flobiwan
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of flobiwan
I am convinced that P&T's greatest feat is fooling magicians. While they do give away some very minor things in a vague sort of way, they have been able to fool magicians for years into thinking that they expose much much more than they actually do. Their "exposure" is usually done in such a way that nothing is really given away. A good example is the cups and balls. Yes, they used clear cups but they did it so fast and frantically, and with both P&T doing it at the same time, that a layman would have a hard time deconstructing the method.

This show illustrates that. In the intro for every episode, Penn comments like he is going to expose the effect if they can figure it out, but during the show they go through great lengths to keep the method secret while still conveying to the performer their knowledge of it.

BTW, regarding exposure, some tricks expose themselves. When you levitate a crumpled up dollar bill from your palm, I don't believe there is a person over the age of three who doesn't know what you're using to do it. They may not know the EXACT hookup, but they get the method.
rickhypno
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of rickhypno
It is entertainment for a layman, end for me.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

What magician can feel good about seeing "the world's greatest magician" called out for a deck switch?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » "Fool Us" by Penn & Teller... Really? How is this good or right for the Art? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL