The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Whats possible with hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
nikstokes
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of nikstokes
Im quite new to hypnosis. I have a couple of books on the subject such as "Reality is plastic", Deeper and Deeper. I also have "The Manchurian Approach".

Now my question is can a hypnotist walk up to a random person, without informing them that they're a hypnotist and put them under and give suggestions? Most of the things I've seen is that a hypnotist walks up to a person, says "Im a hypnotist" and then proceeds to put them under.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And most of THOSE are bs in nature as well.

Fact is that in general what you are asking is just not possible. This is not the Jedi mind trick.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
This is not the Jedi mind trick you're looking for.

"This is not the Jedi mind trick I'm looking for."

Move along.

"Move along."

*jeep! and God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9525 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What you're seeing is not hypnosis or how hypnosis works. Hang around here a bit longer and I'm sure Anthony will chime in with the answers for you.
nikstokes
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of nikstokes
The reason I ask is because, I have seen hypnotists do it. Now Im not sure wether it's hypnosis, nlp or pre show but I like it lol
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok. If you want actual information we can help you. If you want urban legends procede as you are LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9525 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Your name is Stokes and you asking questions? May I ask where are you located and how old are you? People are often a bit more willing to help if we know a something and a bit of background about you?
nikstokes
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of nikstokes
Im 20 years old. Im in California, about 40 min outside of San Deigo. I've been doing magic since I was about 9 and mentalism since about 15. I'm mainly interested in mentalism, hypnosis and psychology now. I still play around with magic though.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 15:12, nikstokes wrote:
Now my question is can a hypnotist walk up to a random person, without informing them that they're a hypnotist and put them under and give suggestions?

You ask a question I myself asked many years ago. Here's my answer, based on my experiences. Although the numbers would NOT be high, the answer to your question is 'yes'. This is absolutely possible.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
nikstokes
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of nikstokes
Im guessing that you're saying that the numbers wont be high because you don't know how suggestible that person is at that particular time?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
In other words, Bobser, Possible, yes. Probable, no.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
Nikstokes, no it's not really because of me not knowing how suggestable they are at that particular time (although there IS something in that).
It's rather about who and what they are in general.
Let me be clear; I AM claiming that I know people who, if you walked up to them, without revealing you're a hypnotist, and said such and such a thing in such and such a way (without any pre-induction in any way), they will go into hypnosis..... fact.

However, dmkraig is absolutely correct; "Possible, yes. Probable, no."
nikstokes
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of nikstokes
I see what you're saying.
a
I am also wondering, I saw Derren Brown do an effect where he put needle through the back of a guys hand without him feeling it. Is this possible with hypnosis?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Bobser stop. The "probability" of such a thing is such that you have a better chance of being struck by lightening while winning the lottery. In other words minute at best.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Hi Nik,

yes it is possibe. However I suggest you do not bother. Instead look at the detail on Approach, Set Up and Set Piece in RIP and make your life easier.

Can you clairify what you mean by 'not hypnosis' MindPro?

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
First off, find a good reputable Hypnotist and get some proper training. All your questions will be answered in person.

But on topic...

I say if you're performing don't worry too much about shock inductions.

As Ant said the Approach, Set Up and Set Piece in RIP will make it easier AND...

It will more entertaining as the "ritual" is there for others to see...

Easier to put the others under after that as well from my experience.

If you're doing Shows that is.

Imho... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
It's always interesting when people tell you that it can't be done. History is full of people saying it can't be done and then, gadzooks, someone comes along and does it.

For many here it is clearly and absolutely impossible... For others experience suggests differently.

My advice, for what it's worth, is that you listen intently to what everybody says and then go and try it anyway. The very worst outcome is that nothing will happen*

*some on here will suggest horrifying cataclysm at this point, stories of spontaneously combusting subjects and tortuous legal proceedings.... Hypnosis is a very dangerous thing which should only be practiced by fully insured fully licenced therapists or anyone else with an inkjet printer and some time on their hands

James Brown
Bring a touch of sarcasm to every day life...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Gadzooks? Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 19:44, nikstokes wrote:
I see what you're saying.
a
I am also wondering, I saw Derren Brown do an effect where he put needle through the back of a guys hand without him feeling it. Is this possible with hypnosis?

Yes it is possible but you do not need hypnosis.
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hey nik, take a deep breath then read zerbubble's post again. The answer to the question you initially asked is YES, undoubtedly! However Anthony's advice is just about perfect.
It would appear that many hypnotists, whilst able to hypnotise, have very little concept of 'Hypnotic Intention'. Being aware of HI is the little difference that makes the big difference.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Whats possible with hypnosis (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL