The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Harry In My Pocket" Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
In the Extractor DVD Peter Nardi mentions that the source for the "Mark In My Pocket" effect is an older trick called "Harry In My Pocket."

Is that referring to the great Harry Lorayne - and also where can I find this effect in book or PDF form? When I google it I can't come up with anything at all. I would love to read the original effect.

Thanks.

BRETT
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Actually, the title is Harry in Your Pocket. It can be found in CARDSHARK by Darwin Ortiz. GREAT effect too!!

अहिंसा

Vlad
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks Vlad! I'm going to look it up.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
And then while studying Darwin's routine think about it. You can make it easier achieving the same effect while same time switching the entire deck. I'm not going to post (exposure) it here, it has been published in German by me several times. But I guess you can work it out by yourself knowing the goal. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 18:37, saysold1 wrote:
Is that referring to the great Harry Lorayne . . . .

I'm quite sure that it isn't.

Darwin Ortiz never mentions Harry Lorayne in the description of the effect, and in the credits refers only to an effect by Roberto Giobbi.

It's far more likely that he's referring to the 1973 movie Harry in Your Pocket, starring James Coburn, Michael Sarrazin, Trish Van Devere, and Walter Pidgeon; it's a movie about pickpockets. Tony Giorgio was in the cast as well.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2011-01-15 03:15, JanForster wrote:
And then while studying Darwin's routine think about it. You can make it easier achieving the same effect while same time switching the entire deck. I'm not going to post (exposure) it here, it has been published in German by me several times. But I guess you can work it out by yourself knowing the goal. Jan

are you quite sure the effect isn't changed?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2011-01-16 09:11, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I am Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Stefan S.
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Stefan S.
Gary Kurtz also has a routine called Gary in your pocket and he also refers to the movie in his presentation.

By the way does anyone have the movie, I saw it when a was like 6 years old and back then it was great but it is not available on DVD?

Best,

Stefan
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Stefan, my method has been published first time in "Magie" issue 1/2002 pages 16 and 17. Cheers, Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2011-01-17 10:37, JanForster wrote:
Stefan, my method has been published first time in "Magie" issue 1/2002 pages 16 and 17. Cheers, Jan

Good idea.

But you can't have the seal signed, can you? Apart from that it's the same effect.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, it's the same effect and the seal is signed, as the switch occurs before. No palming, only a force. Technically it's easier than Ortiz' method but same time achieving a second goal. Roberto Giobbi is planing a book about deck switches; He knows my method, it would be in. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
The only clean way I can see switching decks is by placing it in your own pocket. The strength of this routine, I believe, is partly due to the fact that the boxed deck is placed in the spectator's pocket. It provides a bit of theater too, having the boxed deck in their pocket. I have a buddy of mine who performs this more impromptu (without the initialed seal) in his strolling venues. It is very strong, again, in their pocket. Ortiz has a number of "pick pocket" themed effects that fit a gambling theme perfectly.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
No, it is in the spectator's pocket. It is exactly the same effect. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Well it sounds like a good idea but will wait until I see the handling. I also think that any effect where the deck completely vanishes, minus the selection/s, is a good time to ring in a cooler. That's what I do with my "Through The Looking Glass".
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1405 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Quote:
On 2011-01-17 05:05, Stefan S. wrote:
Gary Kurtz also has a routine called Gary in your pocket and he also refers to the movie in his presentation.

By the way does anyone have the movie, I saw it when a was like 6 years old and back then it was great but it is not available on DVD?

Best,

Stefan

Stefan, go here:

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-In-Your-Pock......02CM2DA4

you can watch or dowload the movie.
Stefan S.
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Stefan S.
Hello Jerry,

thanks for the info but since I am from Germany I can not watch the movie, the service is only for the US!

Thanks anyway.

Best,

Stefan
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
The movie has now been made available through "DVD on Demand" which means that the studio will burn a copy to a DVD for you when you order it. Here's a link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Your-Pocket-......04X63S7Y
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Really! Giobbi is planning a book on deck switches! You have any idea when it's coming out?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2011-01-16 11:24, JanForster wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-16 09:11, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I am Smile Jan

I just wondered because according to Mr. Ortiz, and I agree with him, you cannot change the method without changing the effect.
Rod
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
I am familiar with Darwin's work and I have read Jan's method in the "Magie" magazine. I can confirm everything Jan says. In this case, the method doesn't change the effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Harry In My Pocket" Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL