The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Revealing a thought of card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Imagine you could have a spectator on stage think of a card. It's a free choice.

Imagine you knew which card he's thinking of.

What would you do with the information? How would you go about revealing it/using it?
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
There is so much information on this subject...and unbelievably Dai Vernon devoted an entire essay to this question.
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
I would write it on my forehead
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
"Under your seat you will find a sealed envelope" LMAO
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
RichardShure - care to drop some references?

Pau. W - thanks

Owen McGinty - what's so funny about that? Is it an in joke?
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Richard Osterlind does this. He looks at them and reveals the card. Catches them by surprise.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Quote:
On 2011-01-16 07:15, EscapeMaster wrote:
RichardShure - care to drop some references?

Pau. W - thanks

Owen McGinty - what's so funny about that? Is it an in joke?

No, not a joke, I just think that one would get a good reaction, and would leave any observers rather dumbfounded. Although it´s more of a prediction revelation.
Are you referring to a prediction or they genuinely do have a free choice(no force) of card?
KarlBartlem
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of KarlBartlem
I would not miss by one.
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
>I would not miss by one.

;-)

Owen, it's a genuinely free choice.
Jonathan C
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Jonathan C
'In my pocket I have a deck of cards, and before the show I turned one card upside down...' : )
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 09:42, Jonathan C wrote:
'In my pocket I have a deck of cards, and before the show I turned one card upside down...' : )

a magician would smell that one a mile off....
Jonathan C
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Jonathan C
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 12:17, Owen Mc Ginty wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 09:42, Jonathan C wrote:

a magician would smell that one a mile off....

It wasn't a serious suggestion Owen... I hoped my smiley face would hint at that. Next time I'll use a wink lol.

Seriously though, I think the presentation would depend on the 'real' method, of which there could be several. For example:

1/ They're picking up on subconscious signals to find out the card. In which case Derren Brown has pretty much nailed this presentation down.

2/ They're using telepathy. This would probably be quite a serious approach, lots closing of the eyes, deep breaths and may or may not require touching the spectators temples.

3/ They're a psychic medium. Derek Accrah has this one down to a T. Key points include having a conversation with a invisible/silent 2nd party and saying 'thank you' after each answer... helps if they have a name too.

4/ Magic. The most unlikely of methods, however it is most straight forward... 'Think of a card... its the 5 of clubs' 'Thank you, good night'.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
That's awesome, Ted. Where is it from?

Good ideas, Jonathan C.

I was thinking more along the lines or what would one do with that information rather than simply feed it back. For instance, once you secretly know the card you could use that information to go into a card at any number effect. Or use the value of the card to force a row of objects which are mixed up.
Jonathan C
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Jonathan C
Well assuming the performance is a clean as you first post you may as well tell then the card out right. I believe that once a spectator thinks of a card their next thought will be 'there's no way he'll get this'... And that's the moment you want to strike. If you draw the process out further by involving objects and cards you're more likely to confuse them than rather than surprise them.

However the case in the original post seems highly unlikely without 'real powers' so it's rare that us mere mortals get to be as direct as the example I've given.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 00:10, EscapeMaster wrote:
That's awesome, Ted. Where is it from?

Good ideas, Jonathan C.

I was thinking more along the lines or what would one do with that information rather than simply feed it back. For instance, once you secretly know the card you could use that information to go into a card at any number effect. Or use the value of the card to force a row of objects which are mixed up.

Scroll down to 'Trivia' on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_%26_Te......_Friends to find out a little more about the image.

As for doing something with the info, how about getting one ahead? Or use p*****-w****** to turn it into a simple prediction?
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Apologies Jonathan!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Revealing a thought of card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL