The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » This site needs, and I mean NEEDS, a polling interface! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Dear Masters of the Site,

I get so much good information when I dig hard here, and am so grateful for it, but must agree with a two-year old suggestion that the site needs a polling interface. I spend too much time digging, me thinks, rather than finding.

Many of the messages may indeed be reduced to, "What is the best BLANK given that BLANK BLANK BLANK?"

I'd propose a structure like this, which would be elementary to set up in Access or Filemaker, and could be linked with the site:

Polls would appear as a "sticky"top message within each section.

Answers would be qualified by the answerer's expertise and exposure to the materials available, using radio buttons.

Thus, Fred The Floater would rate himself on his ability to answer the poll using novice, beginner, intermediate, expert, published author, something else, to world-famous practitioner.

But here's the kicker: he would also have radio buttons to check off all materials that he is personally familiar with (i.e. owns or has seen), so that we know how he's making his decision. There would be a field for a brief comment, limited to 200 words.

So the poll is, "What is the best sponge ball?"

User: Fred Expertise: beginner

Ones he has used:

X the ones from China
X Goshman
O Johnson sponges

Answer: Goshman

Comment: Even though they use a different sponge than they did years ago, it's my favorite.

Of course, this is a sub-table that you get below the poll. It's actually pretty easy to set up: the database would alphebetize materials as users added them to the available ones to choose from, and it would update/merge automatically.

So Steve, whaddya think?

Sincerely,
ATPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4759 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Thanks for taking the time to give us some food for thought! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » This site needs, and I mean NEEDS, a polling interface! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL