The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to publish your routine using Acidus Novus (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On 2011-01-19 08:28, EscapeMaster wrote:
Quote:
BUT then you write up a method that you claim you invented and describe the method in detail.... and DO NO RESEARCH and expect to be PAID..... or even just claim "I INVENTED IT FIRST!!!"

THAT IS WHAT THE ISSUE IS ABOUT

WHo cares if you use it or not - or in a routine which the billet reading method isn't what you are peddling...

Its if you take a billet method and publish it and take credit and $ without doing do dillegence or even some form of dillegence...

That's not what I'm suggesting and if it reads that way I apologize for lack of clarity. As per my shorter post above, I am intrigued by the explicit requirement that a copy of the original work be bought.

I am intrigued why it would bother you? If you come up with your own move and other people say it's new and innovative WITHOUT being derivative or similar to Acidus Novus then it wouldn't be a problem. If you come up with a move that IS derivative of Acidus Novus then it's probably better that you DON'T publish - there have been many, many variations and I think between the Acidus Novus CD, Allain Bellon's Obsidian Oblique and Richard Busch's Peek Encores I don't think there's really any room left to develop AN further. The final alternative is that you have a routine that uses a peek and you want to publish the routine. Easy, just do what I and many others have done and REFER to the peek you use and send people in the right direction.

One final point on the matter - Millard literally gave the peek away on a forum I used to be a member of...it wasn't even a top secret, invitation only forum, it was Kenton Knepper's Wonder Wizards forum. I think he has, over the years, been more than generous with the peek and I fail to understand why anyone would have a problem with his requirements. If you know the peek, if you've seen the CD and have an idea what's in the other sources I mentioned I think you'd find it hard to come up with anything that hasn't already been done.
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
I bought my copy of Acidus Novus on Ebay. How would this work as I never bought from the mevpro shop. It came with the original receipt though from mevpro....

I have since re sold it.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 22:28, edh wrote:
I happen to agree with you. If you cannot create based on others then we are lost. Credit those who came before and that should be enough!

Goggle translation: Since I don't want to be creative, I must use the creations of real creators. If I credit them, they should feel flattered to be mentioned by humble and creative me.

*jeep! and God Bless!
--Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Since these are social rather than legal rules - there is really only one way to change things... do what you feel is right. Creators certainly deserve the ability to commercially exploit genuine innovations that they make. In my mind, the more significant and revolutionary the innovation the longer the period their exclusive control should last. Should it last 32 years - even for significant innovations? Probably never. After 32 years any serious (as opposed to straight rip off) modification can be published with only a reference - at least as far as I'm concerned.

Of course it is not in the interest of big names (and their cheerleaders) to accept such an obvious point just as it isn't in the interests of rip-off merchants to accept that ANY level of exclusivity should be afforded to creators. It doesn't take a genius (or even Goggle) to proclaim anyone who doesn't with to afford lifetime of longer protections to even minor innovations as a lazy theif with bad case of the entitlement syndrome. Personally I'm better practiced as characterising some creators as self obsessed ego maniacs, determined to preserve their position that has only partially been arrived at through talent by witholding permissions for their own innovations while being happy enough to include the work of others that have gone before them in their own publications.

Creators deserve fair reward for their contributions to the art - but it must always be remembered that contributions are what they are - and any reward must be proportionate and not at the expense of the artforms further development decades down the line.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
I'm a bit puzzled at this desire to avoid giving credit where credit is due; to follow the standards of decent moral honest conduct.

I'm also amazed at the desire of many here, apparently, to publish a routine on peaks. Is there that large of a demand in the "community" for such works?

BTY, who or what is this "community" that would decide how long the creator or an effect has on exclusivity?

Manners is Manners. Honesty is Honesty.

If I am asked to follow six rather unoffensive steps before publishing, then what on earth is the problem?
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Reuben and Chet-

Well said. What amazes me is that so many either don't understand,or simply choose to ignore, what is basically just fairness and good manners.

Best-

Bob
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
decent moral honest conduct.

Quote:

Quote:
just fairness and good manners.

Throwing around feel good words doesn't really pin down the issue does it. Fair, moral, honest conduct (with a splattering of good manners) goes in both directions and can mean vastly different things to different people. Those advocating complete and indefinate creator control and those proposing zero are both way off the mark imo.

Quote:
BTY, who or what is this "community" that would decide how long the creator or an effect has on exclusivity?

The community is not a monolithic actor. My previous post encouraged people to make an assesement of the issue themselves and act accordingly - whether that be to publish, to buy, to complain or to ostracise. At the aggregate level justice is likely to prevail - those reusing ideas in legitimate manners giving proper regard to the age and novelty of the original innovation and extent of variation/improvment their new publication provides won't have a problem (apart from with nutjobs that can be ignored and ridiculed). Rip-off merchants will be near universally criticised and ostracised (and ridiculed).
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Gee, so "decent," "moral," "honest," "manners," and "honesty" are dirty words to Davit?

*jeep! and God Bless!
--Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ah, c'mon - Davit was making sense.... he didn't say they were dirty words. He was saying - reap the consquences of your actions...I think.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 22:26, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Throwing around feel good words doesn't really pin down the issue does it. Fair, moral, honest conduct (with a splattering of good manners) goes in both directions and can mean vastly different things to different people. Those advocating complete and indefinate creator control and those proposing zero are both way off the mark imo.

My friend, I'm a bit old fashioned I suppose. I was brought up by parents who did their best to instill in me a sense of decency, honesty, and a moral compass that tended to keep me out of trouble. Time spent in the military 30 years ago re-enforced that character trait in me. I can assure you, Those words, nor the sentiment behind them were not thrown around in order to make me, you , Bob Cassidy, or the creator of what is perhaps the most famous and important peak.

Those who justify deception, and, to an extent theft, are "way off the mark imo."
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 09:07, Reuben Dunn wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My friend, I'm a bit old fashioned I suppose. I was brought up by parents who did their best to instill in me a sense of decency, honesty, and a moral compass that tended to keep me out of trouble. Time spent in the military 30 years ago re-enforced that character trait in me. I can assure you, Those words, nor the sentiment behind them were not thrown around in order to make me, you , Bob Cassidy, or the creator of what is perhaps the most famous and important peak, "feel good".

Those who justify deception, and, to an extent theft, are "way off the mark imo."
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
[quote]On 2011-01-27 09:08, Reuben Dunn wrote:
[quote]On 2011-01-27 09:07, Reuben Dunn wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My friend, I'm a bit old fashioned I suppose. I was brought up by parents who did their best to instill in me a sense of decency, honesty, and a moral compass that tended to keep me out of trouble. Time spent in the military 30 years ago re-enforced that character trait in me. I can assure you, Those words, nor the sentiment behind them were not thrown around in order to make me, you , Bob Cassidy, or the creator of what is perhaps the most famous and important peak, "feel good".

Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Sorry for the repeats. The delete function here on this page is non-functional.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Reuben, I'm sure that you are being honest in what your intention was - my point is not a criticism of your motives but just that those words are essentially meaningless for a significant part of this discussion.

I mean taking 'fairness' as the example - one may well say that it is fair for a creator to retain control of their contributions to the art for their lifetime + 50 years. Others may think this is unfair since they may deem that the contribution in some indirect way derived form elsewhere in the field, or that the contribution was not significant enough for it to be fair that they can control, profit from or inhibit the further development of the art. As you can see, taking just the word fairness, there are numerous interpretations of what fairness should mean in regards to this topic and I'm sure others could contibute other interpretations. I'm not passing judgement on which is the correct interpretation - but you have to appreciate that there may well be a legitimate difference of assesment.

Hopefully this explains why I find some of the words being thrown around here are a little meaningless.

Instead I think it's more benificial to consider the types of behaviour that we find acceptable within the mentalism community and the reasons why. Being 'fair' is not a reason as the meaning of 'fair' is so variable.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2011-01-19 01:39, EscapeMaster wrote:
I have not bought or ever seen a copy of Acidus Novus. I know and use a few ways of reading a folded billet without unfolding it - if you spend time playing with folded business cards it's quite easy to come up with them - and there aren't really that many ways it can be achieved.

And you know that how exactly? I mean, if you were informed and knowledgable with the published material that is out there, maybe I'd agree with you. However your very first sentence is clearly demonstrative that you don't have the knowledge or background to even make your comment. I'll still answer your questions though.

Quote:
If I ever want to describe one of my methods do I have to buy Acidus Novus to check it's not the same?

Yes.

Quote:
On 2011-01-19 01:39, EscapeMaster wrote:Say I ask a friend and he tells me that this IS Acidus Novus. My peek is definitely independent creation. Do I still have to buy a $150 to describe in my own manuscript something I came up with myself? People publish 'indepentally created' routines the whole time - just look at the switches in Switchcraft for instance. Several of them are described as being similar or identical to others in print.

Again, yes. And furthermore, your Switchcraft reference is flawed (from Elliott's post above). This is one of the reasons Elliott is pretty universally seen as a good guy. Great products, great ethics.

Quote:
What murky waters.

Again, not to those with an actual background and knowledge of the subject matter.

As for Davit, as usual, he's trying to argue semantics and play devil's advocate. Anybody who's created anything, or who respects how methodology is the basic unit of magic, has no problem with the original post, IMO.

Lem
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ah I figured it out!

Because the book is sold on MEVPRO, some people think its a BOR Pitch Book! They think the method of how to publish your routine is buy the book, and put your name on it, and sell it as your own creation to everybody Smile

Ok, it was a bad joke - but hey, what the heck.
Millard123
View Profile
Regular user
Millard Longman
174 Posts

Profile of Millard123
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 16:13, Dr Spektor wrote:
Ah I figured it out!

Because the book is sold on MEVPRO, some people think its a BOR Pitch Book! They think the method of how to publish your routine is buy the book, and put your name on it, and sell it as your own creation to everybody Smile

Ok, it was a bad joke - but hey, what the heck.

It may be a bad joke, but I laughed out loud when I read it!

My wife thinks I have lost my mind.
Millard Longman

See all my products at:
www.mevproshop.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Heh, my wife thought that before I even got into the Mystery Arts Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to publish your routine using Acidus Novus (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL