The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeving (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
If you are Sleeving surround by a lot of people which method of Sleeving do you think would be the safest?

Have you ever use a Mag**t up your sleeve to stop coins from falling down?

Watch this:

http://legendarymagictricks.com/roccos-u......115.html

Paul
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Now that looks really nice. It appears as a cross between a H Out and a M Pull.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jay Marshall made a "foo" sleeve to keep things up there.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Bambu
I really like and use "Parallel Vanish" taught by Eric Jones in one of his DVDs, is very effective and precise.
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 22:42, Bambu wrote:
I really like and use "Parallel Vanish" taught by Eric Jones in one of his DVDs, is very effective and precise.

Would you mind telling me which DVD?
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3207 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
It's by Jim Pace and it can be found on Visualantics
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
For this purpose, I would recommend a little DVD by Alexander De Cova called Vanishing Techniques. This is devoted exclusively to this style of vanish, about 40 minutes of instruction which also includes another technique using the muscle pass. VisualAntics is a great little DVD which includes all kinds of tricks and gags with common items. His s]****** technique is covered in about two minutes of instruction, sandwiched between other stuff.

Probably just my take, but the instruction given by Jim Pace for his parallel sleeve vanish in VisualAntics bears little resemblance to the one taught by Eric Jones in his DVD, Metal which he attributes to Jim Pace's parrallel sleeve vanish.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8798 Posts

Profile of Mb217
WOW, and y'know Rocco doesn't need any help sl*****g, he's one of the world's best already. Smile

The Parallel Sleeve Vanish by Jim Pace is a thing of beauty when done well. I've used it flexibly in some of my own work and it is definitely well-worth learning.

As cp mentions here, it is sandwiched somewhere between some other stuff on his VisualAntics DVD but it's really worth checking out if you're interested in some of the best methods of sl*****g. It's pretty simple, takes some practice and is quite amazing. Smile
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Bambu
The Parallel Vanish version taught by Eric Jones can be found in "Metal", highly recommended DVD full of useful coin sleights.
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
It's also taught on erics routine DVD, Audio in great detail. Though you should remember that Eric has only taken the concept of Jim pace's, so it may be best to check out both versions.
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
Forgot to mention that Marion's One and Only vanish is another GREAT vanish that can be done surrounded.

Also check out Justin Miller's Silver Dream. Lots of good sleeving vanishes there.
manreb
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of manreb
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 09:11, PAUL K wrote:
If you are Sleeving surround by a lot of people which method of Sleeving do you think would be the safest?

Have you ever use a Mag**t up your sleeve to stop coins from falling down?

Watch this:

http://legendarymagictricks.com/roccos-u......115.html

y anti virus software indicates that this file contains a threat.

Paul
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8798 Posts

Profile of Mb217
There are many different methods to get this done but the Dr. Roberts Method will also work surrounded. Part of it is the vanish but the other part is the built-in misdirection of it. Once that little misdirection is activated 2 people or 20 people will look somewhere else, and it's done. Smile And misdirection as easily helps you to reproduce the coin, completely surrounded if that's what it is.

The Dr. E.M. Roberts Method was the first one I ever played with, back as a boy but didn't learn it quite right until many, many years later as to how truly powerful it is. It's not so much in the physical as it is in the deeper psychology of it - the vanish really happens in the spec's mind as you reconstruct reality a bit. Smile Yep, this is powerful stuff! Smile
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Good thoughts, Mb217. E. M. Roberts method, once mastered is a surefire way to ditch a coin/object absolutely undetected - regardless of where the specs are situated. Only possible troublesome angle is from the back if done in the classic manner as taught in Bobo's - and its fun to do... (and its good for you too!).

Is this underutilized by close up coin magicians in their routines? Just a great complete vanish at the end of many routines!
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8798 Posts

Profile of Mb217
It's definitely underutilized, I agree cp. But it's a real mistake not to study it and get it down right. All the alternatives get in the way sometimes because they make it all somewhat easier to do, sometimes even more powerful seeming. But the basics of all this should be learned and practiced because it leads the way to better understanding some other things.

I know many folks don't wear jackets, etc. nowadays much at all but if they really understood this they'd make sure they wore them now & again, just to feel the power. Smile It is fun to do and a great old part of magic. Smile

Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
Don't forget the great work of Brian Platt in his Catapult dvd.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
Redwulfe
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Redwulfe
To start off I wish to say that I wish to be a good, if not great coin worker. That being said I have often thought about this topic's subject as an interesting skill to learn to help me in my goal. Most of the work that I have studied does not touch on this subject however. To that end I have a couple of questions.

Do you feel that Sl*****g is necessary or merely useful technique to learn for a coin worker like myself?

Are there any good books on the subject? Preferably one that goes into theory as well as technique.

Does Sl*****g, as a category, have many different utility moves as something like a coin box? In other words, as I feel that was not well said, could you draw a parallel based on usefulness to something like coin box work so I may get a gauge on how useful this technique is when applied to coin work and magic in general?

Thanks all,
Red
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Using a mag**t up the sleeve to stop coins from falling down is a technique that isn't restricted to coins. Lou Serrano is using the principle for years with large ball bearings. Now the mag**t doesn't have to be in the sleeve and David Neighbors is using them on other body parts. My own Hold Out catches or supplies coins outside the sleeve above the elbow (on the triceps side) when the sleeve is tugged by the other hand.

Now, as mentioned, there are other alternatives to sleeving like the Topit or various forms of Hold Outs (Keplinger, Jack Miller, Paul Diamond...) There are also some clips for several coins (Slydini, Michael Ammar) or she!!s for single ones or Brian Platt's Black Out (not to be confused with his catapult technique), David Roth also has a purse...

Globally the variety of methods is such that the art is to use these technique sufficiently in transit and taking care of psychologically cancelling out their use so that any audience is not even aware that one has been used. If they know that you did, even without them being able to "see" it, you are presenting a demonstration of skill, not magic.

I suggest you to read Juan Tamariz's The Magic Way to get a thorough reply to your question.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8798 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Red, I guess there are books that speak of this (Bobo's does) but I would think that there are several good DVDs on the subject where you can get the theory, see the action and not play hit or miss (you'll be doing a lot of that anyway as you start with it) trying to better understand it. Smile

The subject is pretty vast and I'd say is an artform within the art itself. It's sorta old world now but I believe an important part of the greater picture of coin magic. Not sure about any such parallel with a coin box, I would think sl*****g is a lot more versatile, mobile, flexible, astonishing, and a much greater part of the whole, as an effect, a utility and an overall ways to a means.

So, stop looking up the stairs and start getting up the stairs. Smile As you move up every step, you'll gain perspective more specifically as to all your questions here and you will find enlightenment.

Oh and welcome to the Café. Smile

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Ross Bertram rarely quoted was a master at that art and worth studying as well
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeving (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL