The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Please Help Me With Detective Coin Plot. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

I have been working on a detective coin type routine, whereby a coin finds a selected signed card. However, I am having trouble with coming up an interesting / entertaining presentation. Currently I am saying that this is a detective coin and I'm about to send it on a mission etc. The coin then vanishes and appears in the deck on top of the selected card while everything is in the spectators hands.

Now don't get me wrong the above patter idea works fine and the mechanics are smooth. But I know that with better presentation this effect can be taken to the next level and that is where I need some help. Therefore if any of you are willing to share your ideas or point me in the right direction of some good presentational ideas then I would be most grateful.

Many Thanks
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Do you own Dishonest Abe by Gregory Wilson? Pretend you're Sherlock Holmes and use the magnifying glass to do your detective work in counterfeit coins, and finding a "criminal card" etc. This will give you a nice routine with the coins and deck of cards.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Douglas, that's quite a nice idea, I'll have to play around with that idea.

All other suggestions are still very welcome.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1679 Posts

Profile of mystre71
What if instead of saying "the coin" was A detective coin. (using a really old/odd coin) Instead the coin actually belong to Dr. Joseph Bell, The man Sherlock Holmes was based on. Bell believe the coin to be his lucky coin, and would offten flip it to help make decisions in high profile cases, which he eventually solved..........50% of the time..lol

Hope this helps,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
360 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Try writing a script along the lines of a Dashiell Hammett story, the Hardboiled detective crime fiction type, exaggerate it a little to keep it light and humorous, something like this….

"Mike Hardware was the kind of private eye who didn't know the meaning of the word 'fear'; a man who could laugh in the face of danger and spit in the eye of death -- in short, a moron with suicidal tendencies."
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Truesoldier,

What coins do you have available for use in this effect? Any of them lend themselves to a take on this presentation? What type cards are you using? With cardbox or no? Is the selected card a force- ie. specific character? Why is the detective in pursuit of this individual? I may have more questions. Smile Best wishes! Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I used to do that - where the sharpie pen they used to sign the card is also used to mark the coin - a clue to match so to speak- when doing the Jennings trick. In the library I used the stack of cards to be filed, the card for their book and the stamp on their coin. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4079 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Do you have the routine yet? Most of the time, once the trick is routined its a matter of performing it over and over, letting the patter evolve. If you don't have a routine yet, you can try Case Solved from the NYCMS dvd series, where a signed coin vanishes to find the missing card that has left the deck and was hiding in the card case, or Roth's more formal presentation on another volume, where a coin vanishes into the deck to find the.card.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Miguel Angel Gia (sp?) has my favorite presentation for this, but it's not for everyone. It involves kissing the coin a lot.

For you, I'd have to ask--what's your favorite cop show? People are devoted to their crime procedurals, and it's already affecting what juries expect from the police as proof. Thanks to CSI, you could talk about the minute fibers left at the scene. If you're a Law and Order fan, "the sound" can be the magic word. If you like NCIS, definitely dope slap somebody.

I've always thought that this is a good effect to lead to another. Do you know Jay Sankey's "Royal Rivet"? See Richard's Almanac.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is there an easy way to get that "tong tong" sound recorded and set up for easy playback? You know, each step toward the end disclosure gets its sound cue. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thank you so much for the many suggestions, they are all valuable and really appreciated.

Magicalaurie, in brief to answer your questions. I have quite a few coins that I can use for this effect such as Walking Liberty and Kennedy Half Dollars, I also have English Half Crowns and Old Victorian English Pennies, In addition I also have Chinese coins and Mexican coins.

I am playing around with all the options in order to help with the patter / presentation. e.g old English Half Crowns for the Sherlock Holmes theme or Old Victorian Pennies Can be introduced as an assistant. The walking Liberty Eagle design can be used as flying coin or homing coin etc. I'm still playing around with ideas, but I'm sure you get the picture.

The selected card is a free choice and I'm not using a box (Although I could if I wanted to) The detective is looking for the spectators finger prints.

Michael Rubinstein, I do indeed have a routine (The Mechanics that lead to the out come along with some ideas for Patter) Although I am looking at taking this to the next level through a polished and entertaining presentation, well that is my aim for this piece.

Curtis Kam, Jonathan Townsend, Spcarlson and Joe, thank you for you great ideas I will definitely look into all of these as well.

Please Feel free to keep the the suggestions and questions coming if you so desire.

Many Thanks To You All
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Jonathan,

Paul Romhany put the "tong tong" sounf sound for download on his website for all his clients that purchased his effect "CSI - The case of the half died Hank".

I can't tell you if everybody could downlaod this edited sound.

Other solution : Download a part of this TV serie, convert it to an audio file and then edit it yourself with a sound program on your computer.

Oliver.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2914 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 19:29, truesoldier wrote:
...The walking Liberty Eagle design can be used as flying coin or homing coin etc....

I like that alot! Of course I'm partial to animal/nature themes. Smile An eagle eye could also see things others might miss...

Thanks for answering my questions- sounds like you're doing your homework- best of luck! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Laurie
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Laurie, Once I've worked it all out and I have everything polished, I'll be sure to let you know. (Hey I might even put up a video performance)

Speak Soon
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I would suggest you to make Magic your detective and the coin only as the tool "magic" uses. Stories where props are impersonated are very difficult (even if not impossible) to get a real adult sustained interest into for such stories do not easily generate a suspension of disbelief. Doing the same trick with how "magic" can help you in real life to find what you seek is easier for people to psychologically project into.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Please Help Me With Detective Coin Plot. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.74 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL