The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I saw this trick and was thinking on buying it for Mentalism. It is $65.00 and here is the effect. If someone has heard of it please help. Time After Time Trick EFFECT: A pocket watch is hanging on a small stand, its back to the audience. A spectator is asked to pick an hour of the day, announce it, or write it down. With no deceptive moves, the magician simply turns the watch to be read by a spectator, and the hour will match perfectly...EVERY TIME...TIME AFTER TIME! No Prep is needed and it may be repeated immediately! No batteries, no magnets! No need to even pay attention to the watch to stop it at a certain time. Such a beautifully simple method...Yet so deceptive! This piece is a little gem that will leave your audience scratching their heads! Comes with the specially gimmicked watch, a nice wood and metal stand, and complete instructions. **AMAZING...** •No Prep •Repeats Immediately •No Batteries •No Magnets
§kitch
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Sounds to me virtually identical to a Tenyo item I've seen.

I'm not sure what sort of feedback you want, and in any case your question really belongs in the "Good Bad Garbage" forum.

I'd say it's an okay trick for a beginner magician, but not a lot of use for a mentalist. Why? Because (a) it's fairly obvious the prop is the trick, which is never a good flavour for a mentalism routine, and (b) there are countless better alternatives.

I mean, suppose you invited someone to remember an event that meant something to her, and which is associated with a particular time of day or night - even if it's quite an unusual time of day, that's alright.

She thinks. You focus and ask politely if you may just to touch her forehead with the back of your hand for 3 seconds. 1 - 2 - 3. You say you think maybe you got something. You scribble something down on one of your business cards, slip it inside your business card case and close it. You invite her to tell you about the event AND THE NAME OF THE BABY. She tells you what she was thinking of, and yes, it was the time she gave birth to one of her children. She also reveals the time she was thinking of. You open your case, take out your busness card and hand it over. You're right to within 5 minutes.

One nw. One Sight Unseen Case. One completely stunned spectator.

No 65 dollar props that do one trick.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Fred Darevil
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Fred Darevil
I like very much your idea Ian but doing this effect with a real watch might be interesting for another type of presentation.
For example, subliminal influence : a spectator chooses an hour and you show your watch to be stopped at this hour. You then explain to the spectator who helped you in the previous effect that you stoppped your watch at this hour before the beginning of the show and that you deliberately crossed his line of sight several times during the show to influence his present choice subliminally. There is no big deal made about the watch "put on the table since the beginning of the effect so I couldn't approach it...etc." Just a quick effect between others to reinforce your credibility about influencing people.

This effect is just an idea to say that using a real watch is interesting. Not necessarily with a $65.00 watch...

Please let me know what you think about this idea.

Best,
Fred
Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
You raise some interesting ideas there, Fred - can I just add that for a mere £130 you get Watch and Wear - which, IMHO, Rocks! Comments, Ian?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Need Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL