The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Science Magic Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I'm wanting to develop a new "school show" that revolves around science. If anyone out there has done a similar show, would you mind PMing me...I've got some questions...

Thanks in Advance,

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Christopher
There is a "science of magic" forum at the magic Café, and there are several regular posters there that can answer your science related magic questions.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Thanks!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I do regular science shows. But there is no magic as such - just a similar presentational approach. I am doing one Friday for a birthday party. I will do six or eight experiments with household objects (coke and menthos, launch a rocket with vinegal and baking soda, etc) and involve the kids like I would at a magic show. It goes down well. I haven't marketed it as strongly as I could, but perhaps some day.
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I have been thinking about putting together a science show also Christopher and plan on going to Steve Spangler's Science in the Rockies conference this year. It is about $800 for a three day course on how to do the stuff you are talking about. Better yet there is a cruise to Alaska that lasts a week and doesn't cost much more. (FYI I would be going on the cruise instead but I am scheduled to become a dad on the same day that the ship sets sail so that might not go over so well) In any event, if you have not heard of Steve he is on the Ellen Show every three months and is a really dynamic guy. Here is a link to Steve's conference. http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/teac......-rockies

Best regards,

Keir
http://www.DenverKidMagic.com
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Christopher,

You should be aware that Mad Science have a really strong lock on the school science shows in our area and a seemingly unlimited advertising budget!
I see them everywhere. You are going to have tough competition. But don't let that stop you! Good luck.

Best,
James
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10195 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Is there anyone here that has been employed by Mad Science? If so, please PM me as I'd like to ask you a question or two.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
You could always look up DR. Kaboom he is from ohio, and tours the nation with his science show. he was onced employed by mad science at one time. I am sure he will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
http://www.doktorkaboom.com/
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
BScott8870
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
231 Posts

Profile of BScott8870
WOW. Love those Goggles Dr. Kaboom has. Where can I get a pair of those??
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I find that one unique selling point about my show over Mad Science is that the kids can repeat my experiments with household substances. Not so with the Mad Science. I did explore the idea of becoming a franchisee, but the costs were way over the top for what they were offering.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2011-02-04 16:35, TonyB2009 wrote:
I did explore the idea of becoming a franchisee, but the costs were way over the top for what they were offering.

I'll say. I looked into this as well and the costs were ridiculous.

Mark
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
BSCOTT check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/Steampunk-Goggles-Av......62efe788

They are aviation goggles
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think you'll find that they are not aviation goggles, but welder's goggles. You don't need to get costume, you can buy real flip-open welder's goggles for the same price.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
And in the UK there is little demand for this kind of show in schools due to time and finance. In a months time it's national science and engineering week; I can find no science magic anywhere in the national listing. (Yes I'm a Science Subject Leader so doing it myself in my schools and a local teachers centre.)

There really is no educational magic in the UK, unlike the USA. Here magic is still for entertainment and often restricted to after-school parties or Christmas treats.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The only demand for my science show in Ireland is for birthday parties. Schools couldn't care less.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-02-04 11:15, James Munton wrote:
Christopher,

You should be aware that Mad Science have a really strong lock on the school science shows in our area and a seemingly unlimited advertising budget!
I see them everywhere. You are going to have tough competition. But don't let that stop you! Good luck.

Best,
James

WOW! I guess I've been living life with the blinders on b/c I've never even heard of these guys. I did some research and I see where they saturate the market out here for this type of thing.

Either way...I don't think I'd be in direct competetion with these folks as people who are calling me are looking for a magic show. This would be another type of magic show they could book.

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
BScott8870
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
231 Posts

Profile of BScott8870
Mad Science is way different though than a single performance. Kids sign up for 6-8 week programs and they are taught about different parts of science each week. They have labs and crafts the kids take home each week. Not really intended to be a single performance and leave business. It is an after-school educational program. They normally kick off the advertising to parents and kids with a school wide presentation, but that is only to entice kids and parents to sign up for the after school programs.

If you are just booking as a magic show for performance at a PTA event or festival then you won't be competing with the guys.

Best of Luck Christopher on the new venture!

BTW - I am wanting to join our local magic club here in Fort Worth and I need two members to be references for me. Never have gotten around to joining. My good friend Roger Smith was a Lifetime member. Anyone here on the Café that would be willing to recommend me so that I can submit an application. You must already be a member of the Fort Worth Magicians Club or a member of ISM (I think)..

Thanks.

Bart
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Bart,

Sorry, that is not correct. They do school assemblies, birthday parties and everything else we do.
http://www.madscience.org/locations/dallas

Best,
James
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Mad Science do a couple of things. They offer after-school science clubs, where kids sign up for a number of weeks. But they also offer the single shows. I worked extensively with them over two seasons at a resort, and they did one-off shows all the time at the resort. Some of their demonstrators were moderately entertaining. One or two were not. One was absolutely brilliant - he could make a cabbage entertaining. So a bit like magicians really. But in terms of one-off shows they are definitely competing in our market.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
The one thing that can set you apart from Mad Science is the fact that your customer is getting YOU. While I am sure their quality control on their animators is quite good, you can never be sure what the results will be. Some are great, some are so-so. I have heard some groups have been disappointed with them for "one time" events. Remember many of these animators are young people, it is a JOB for them, so they have all the ups and downs empolyees of this sort have. It is not their business, no matter how much the company wants then to take ownership in their part. Unlike you in YOUR business.

Mad Sciences' head office is here in Montreal, and there is even a local franchise for the local business. I helped with their tour program based on CSI, and actually competed with the founders of the group when they first started out with their first programs. I have also toured their facility with the owners and it is amazing.

Suggestion: Don't compete with them, but try to model areas of your business after them. They have been VERY successful.

Blair
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Science Magic Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL