The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question Regarding David Roth's Book (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys,

Sorry for asking such a silly question, however I must ask so here goes.

I already Have the Richard Kaufman Coin Magic Book that has a David Roth Chapter in it. Now what I would like to know is, if I bought a copy of David's book, would it just be a repeat of the Kaufman book information? or is the material original or a mixture of original and repeated stuff. (I hope that makes sense)

Many Thanks
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6005 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a link to the contents of each book , so you can compare. The Roth Book is over 100 pages more than Coin Magic.
So yes, you'll get a lot more Roth material in his book that's not in Coin Magic.

Coin Magic
http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/kaufmancoin.htm

Roth Book
http://magicref.tripod.com/booksjr/kaufmanexpertcoin.htm
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
cdmdu
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of cdmdu
Even if some effects are the same, the explanation and the illustrations are different. And it occurs for only a few of the tricks (Roth Karate coin, for example).
There is also a coin box magic part in Expert Coin Magic which do not exist in Coin Magic.
The two books are different and the one in not the other plus an addition, you won't regret your purchase.
If you want to get original material with Roth's touch, go on!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
David Roth's Expert Coin Magic is worth the purchase if only for David's Table routines near the end. Priceless and I don’t believe they are published elsewhere.

Jim
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Motown, Cdmdu and Jim, thanks for sharing your opinions, info and links, it's really appreciated.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6005 Posts

Profile of motown
If you like coins, you want to have both books.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
This is the only thing I'm gonna say about this......GET BOTH !!!!!!
Good Luck and remember have fun.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
LOL, I already have Richard's book, but it looks like you guys really recommend both, so I guess I gotta pick up David's book as well.
cdmdu
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of cdmdu
David's book is written by Richard too ;-)
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
No offense but it's like asking if you should buy J. B Bobo's book when you say that you wish to learn about coin magic... There is no question: you should not just buy but know David's book as well as Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and Kaufman's Coin Magic.

Bow it would be a smart move to also acquire the New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD and the Fist Of Fury series

For pure technical refinement (if you want to use the proper variant in each situation) don't miss the Michael Rubinstein Encyclopedia of Coin Magic.

This may seem like a lot but you are obviously after building solid foundations to your coin magic and this is a better use of your money than the collector coins by well known craftsmen.

Don't worry, after these, there are still a lot of fun learning times waiting for you (Dean Dill, Eric Jones, Craig Petty, Joe Rindfleisch, Justin Miller, Gary Kurz, Doug Brewer, Bobby Bernard, David Stone, Tom Stone...) You're in for a treat.

Buy David's book as soon as you can and consider buying second hand books or DVDs to be able to have more for the same money
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Good advice!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Rutabaga should know because I bought a Gary Kurz superb routine from him

;)
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I am going to go AGAINST THE GRAIN HERE... Yes there are many, many great coin men and books. The modern trend and material is great, HOWEVER at least here in Los Angeles, all the coin workers look the same... do the same basic stuff.

I am old school, having studied and learned from Slydini. When I do this material, all the new guys are amazed... None of them know or do most of his creations.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
Mr. Bete Biro I believe that a magician must create his own style and decide what works better for him.. For me it's a huge mistake to watch or read a routine and try to copy it.. As an example I can't do the palm to palm change like Mr. Roth teaches in his Expert coin magic series, so I create a variation (i'm sure that I'm not the first one Smile )
My point is that all these coin workers maybe look the same because they haven't tried to give to their routines something personal..
I would like to tell me your oppinion about that..
Searching for the magic side of life...
Arthurit
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Arthurit
One more book that's worth tracking down is Shigeo Futagawa's coin magic. And if you can speak Spanish a very good one is Manuel Cuesta's Monedas in Crescendo. Both of them are progressive: they go from the basics to the more advanced stuff.

On another subject, Pete's got a point...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question Regarding David Roth's Book (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL